i made cardboard play houses and...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
I made it out of staples and scotch tape and some duct tape, i covered up the stapled parts with tape so she wouldn't get hurt, but I'm still having second thoughts about whether its safe or not. Any second opinions?

Unfortunately staples and tape are both harmful. Eventually your chin will peel off the tape, probably eat it, and then get to the staples.

Are you really serious? Chinchillas chew, and both the tape and staples are harmful. Make her a safe wooden house instead (untreated, safe KD wood and non-toxic wood glue).

i would be more nervous about the tape than the staples. im thinking either non toxic elmers glue or just give it a go with the staples and keep an eye on your chinny.

maybe post pictures so we can see what you did.

Yep, the Elmers glue could really be the way to go. Scotch tape could definitely end up causing problems. The pre-made cardboard houses have tabs that slide into corresponding slots on the panels being joined together...maybe you could try something like that?

I want to see pictures, too.

i would just toss out the house you made and get a few cardboard boxes and cut holes in them for your chin to jump in/out of. just make sure the boxes don't have shipping labels or tape attached to them anywhere.

I agree with Chinnymom in replaces your made houses with cardboard boxes with cutouts in them. Again, no tape of any kind should be on the box. My chin literally shreds and peels her boxes apart. They don't last long, and any old box makes her happy.

That was a great idea comng here and asking second opinions! Like others mentioned before, it is not safe. Kudos on trying=)

There are really good quality pre-made cardboard play houses that last a long time you can buy that are safe, or just use plain cardboard boxes in different shapes and sizes. When I go to Costco I always come out with cool weird shaped boxes.

http://store.busybunny.com/gimme-shelter-c53.aspx

Andrea from Forever Feisty Chins sells those mazes also and i am sure any profits go right back into her chin rescue:

http://www.foreverfeistychinchilla.org/

^^
Call me stingy, or a tight wad, but as much as I love those mazes and boxes, I can't bring myself to purchace a box that my chins will eventually eat. :hair:

I use (and they love) plain boxes. I got a few ULINE double thick cardboard shipping boxes (about 12"Lx 6"W x 6"T) that I folded the ends shut and used a knife to cut a 3-4" hole in the side. THEY LOVE IT! Simple, effective, no glue, no tape. :thumbsup:

Side

front

inside from the bottom

^^
Call me stingy, or a tight wad, but as much as I love those mazes and boxes, I can't bring myself to purchace a box that my chins will eventually eat. :hair:

I use (and they love) plain boxes. I got a few ULINE double thick cardboard shipping boxes (about 12"Lx 6"W x 6"T) that I folded the ends shut and used a knife to cut a 3-4" hole in the side. THEY LOVE IT! Simple, effective, no glue, no tape. :thumbsup:

I bought a maze or my chinchilla and it lasted well over a year and it is still usable. I don't know how much Tinkerbell chews/gnaws/destroys compared to other chins, but it was well worth the money. It is Tinkerbell's favorite place to hang out. I have taken it out recently (out of her pen) because I wanted more space for her to run around. But I have several boxes that I just cut holes into, and she hangs in them and also drags them around her pen. She is quite the redecorater.

I purchased the mini-haven from Forever Fiesty and it was the best $20 I ever spent. Handbag LOVES it and plays in it during playtime. It is sturdy and flattens completely down when apart. He hasn't chewed one corner and he plays in it almost every night. I actually put his bath house in the lower level when it's bath day and it helps contain the dust...somewhat. But he thinks its super fun and that's all that matters. :)

Does anyone have chins that pee in the cardboard mazes?? in their play area i have a little cardboard box house from build a bear and for some reason they pee in the bottom of it. not all of them, but i know 1 or 2 of them do.

Michelle, Tinkerbell would go pee inside her maze, so I put a litter pan inside the biggest room of the maze for her to go in, which was where she was going potty.

Latest posts

Back