I hate this town.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zie

Sooo many bad things have happened in just the last 5-6 years of my life. This is not how I wanted to spend my teenage years. Mourning over deaths of kids, shocked at what a teacher, someone I thought was a sort of friend, could do to another kid, and now, this.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=174304

I spent 9 years of my life in the same building as this man. More than once, I was the only child in detention, which he often watched over, and we did nothing but chat about me and my family, because my family is very well known around here.

And to hear that someone would accuse him of this is just crazy. People say things like this all the time, "" I never though he was capable of something like that. "" But this time, it's true. Dr. Hawkins WASN'T capable of it. He was there at that school since my mom was a kid, and before that, even.

He's over-come cancer in recent years, and now to have a 25 year old cold case brought back up? And there was no evidence against him. It's just...crazy.

My heart goes out to his family and friends, and to the students who knew him, not a superintendent, but as a friend.

Last edited:
That's really unfortunate but you are going to have suicides in every town, it's sad but that's how it is.
And seeing as I don't know him, I can't speculate on whether or not he did those things to people, but just because he was nice to you does not mean that he didn't/isn't capable of things like that. You just never know..

If it were true though, and he really was like that, wouldn't it have happened more than once? He worked with kids for YEARS and YEARS and he spent time with a lot of kids outside of school. He would help the trouble makers and take them under his wing, and help them outside of school. You would always see him and a kid or two in his old red convertible mustang, and he would help them study, get their school work done, things like that. This is a tiny country town, if he did anything like that recent years, people would know.

And sure, suicides in every town, yeah. But this is a town of under 10k people and growing veeeeery slowly. This is actually the first suicide I've heard of.

And like I said, kids looked up to him. Over 25 years, that's thousands of children that grew up with him as a teacher or the superintendent.

Its a hard case for alot of people from what I read not only from the articles but the responces as well. I'm sorry you lost some one who has helped you and so many others through so much. He obviously did alot of good in your community.

I came from a high school where the graduating class has an average of 9 suicides. It is abssolutly astounding what people are actually capable of. Some of the people who took such good care of some students were devistating to others. I am in no way making a judgement on this man but these people have comforward for a reason. That is not to say that he actually did anything but they feel wronged by him. Why they waited 25 years is suspiticious. But he did so much good for you and so many others and if I were in your shoes that is what I would focus on.

I'm sorry you lost someone you looked up to Zie, but please keep in mind a lot of criminals especially of the sexual nature travel out of there town or area to commit these crimes. As a forensic television junkie I'm here to tell you a case can be brought to justice after several years.
The town can't be all bad, you're in it--just think of it that way.

I'm sorry to hear about this, and maybe I'm cynical... but why would he commit suicide if the allegations were untrue? If he knew he hadn't done what he was accused of, why would he take the easy way out? If he was innocent, why wouldn't he agree to a lie detector test or simply cooperate with authorities? The fact that he committed suicide after being accused looks awfully suspicious.

I'm sorry to hear about this, and maybe I'm cynical... but why would he commit suicide if the allegations were untrue? If he knew he hadn't done what he was accused of, why would he take the easy way out? If he was innocent, why wouldn't he agree to a lie detector test or simply cooperate with authorities? The fact that he committed suicide after being accused looks awfully suspicious.

Lie detector tests are not always accurate; therefore, they usually do not hold up in court. As for why he would do it even if he was innocent, imagine having everyone in your town, people you've worked with for years, turn on you and believe you guilty. Even if the charges were eventually dropped, he would always get the suspicious looks on the street. I'm not saying he is innocent, I'm just saying his suicide may not be a result of guilt.

The case is 25 years old and supposedly was dismissed or something like that because there was no evidence at all against him. And they waited 25 years to bring it up again.

I went to the memorial at the school last night with my two little sisters, who are both still students at the gradeschool. I've been to a few funerals in my life, of family members, both young and old, but last night was just...horrible. I saw three guys, all best friends, who were VERY close to this man, crying like babies and hugging each other. I've never cried at a death before, but last night I cried.

And this is a small town. My graduating class was about 700 students, and that was the largest class to EVER graduate from Freeburg. Any death here, is a blow to anyone.

And Dr. Hawkins has been working at the school for a LONG time, so this has effected the entire town, personally. It's just...unbelievable.

And committing suicide does not mean he's guilty. He's struggled with cancer, and had to deal with this charge 25 years ago. I do a lot of research on random things, and one day, I spent about 10 hours in the library just reading about my town. And I never once found anything about molestation charges against him (I looked up stuff like that. You know, just to be aware of who was registered and stuff).

I mean, think about it. This case had been put to rest for so long, and then now, when he's coming close to the end of his career and retiring, they bring this back up. Dirtying his name before he retires. And who knows, he could have had some issues going on in his head. Depression, or something, I don't know, and we'll never know.

I just know that the town lost someone very caring and nice, and a role model to so many students. I've seen teachers take students aside and help them personally, but Dr. Hawkins went above and beyond and did everything he could to help students.

Zie, unfortunately in the case of suicide there are always many, many unanswered questions. You are absolutely 100 % correct when you say just because he committed suicide doesn't mean he's quilty. Suicide is a very personal act and often no one but the suicide victim knows the reason. The important thing it to find the peace within yourself to help ease the pain your are feeling. Just to put things in perspective--I don't live in a small town, but where I grew up nothing ever happened. We had no crime what so ever in our neighbor--you could leave your car door open at night and even your front door unlocked and nothing would happen. Then one day they found John Brown running naked in the field across the street from my house. He had shot both his father and his grandmother and set their bodies and their houses on fire. John's brother, Steve was a friend of mine. He heard his brother shoot his father and he escaped but jumping out his window. We NEVER expected anything like that to happen in our neighborhood let alone a personal friend of mine. Violence and sin knows no boundaries. Polly Klaas was stolen in the middle of the nightright from her own bedroom, she was raped and tortured and murdered. She came from Petaluma, CA. I had never heard of it before and I'm sure not many people had.
So don't ever feel crime and violence can't touch you or the ones you love.
I'm sorry your heart has pain from this--I know you will never forget but in time I hope your pain lessens.

Wow! What a horrible tragedy! I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of this! I will be praying for peace for you and your community!

Latest posts

Back