I am going insane trying to pick a wheel for my chin...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KristinC1983

I asked a similar question about wheels a few days ago, but for some reason, I still cannot just commit to buying a wheel! There are sooo many different websites with soooo many diifferent wheels and it's driving me insane. And I know there really isn't that big of a selection of safe wheels, but it seems soo big for some reason:( I can be indecisive with things like this-$60-$70 is a big purchase for me, so I keep deciding on one and then going back and looking at others, changing my mind.

Sooo...

You are all chin owners who have wheels and know which wheels you like and maybe some you don't like. So pick a wheel for me. I of course want a metal (wood also is fine), over 14", open, and one not too loud because I share a bedroom with my chin. He's never had a wheel before if it matters. SOmeone said a wheel is sometimes easier to learn than a flying saucer. So, what wheel do you have-tell me what wheel you think I should buy! Whichever wheel gets reccomended the most, which I assume will be the chin spin, I AM going to buy. If you could suggest an online store as well, that'd be fantastic.

Sorry I'm so whiney! I have issues with these things for some reason-always have. It may be my OCD or maybe cause I'm now suddenly an online shopper-I'm new at it. Thanks for any help at all! Once this question is answered, I promise to never ask another question about what wheel to buy again!:hair:

Chin spin, ask for it not powder coated. I like the construction and size of this wheel better than the ED, the diameter and running surface is larger. Buy it from quality cage.

I personally LOVE my Leo Brauns and pay top dollar for them when I find them used.

I have four flying saucers and all 5 of my chins have figured them out no problem. But seeing as the chin is going to be in your room I'd go with a Chin Spin as I've heard they are even quieter than the saucer (the saucer tends to move the cage bars so the cage rattles a bit, the saucer itself is silent)

Yeah, I was talking about chinchilla excercise wheels. I got some of them from Chinchillas.com. they are great.

I also ordered two fyling saucers from Chinworld.com, but i haven't received yet, so i don't know which ones they would prefer. I will keep you posted.

I have four flying saucers and all 5 of my chins have figured them out no problem. But seeing as the chin is going to be in your room I'd go with a Chin Spin as I've heard they are even quieter than the saucer (the saucer tends to move the cage bars so the cage rattles a bit, the saucer itself is silent)

I have 3 chin spins, one ed wheel, and 2 saucers set up right now in my bedroom. Call me crazy.

By far the quietest for me is the flying saucer. I put a block of wood under the saucer which keeps it super stable and makes it to where the bars don't shake at all. Axel runs on that thing like crazy and I never hear a sound.

The Ed Wheel and the Chin Spins are also quiet. My CS I change the bearings in once ever 6 months to keep them quiet. My Ed Wheel I haven't had to change the bearing in yet, but I also don't use it as much as I do the other wheels.

For the OP, I recommend the Chin Spins over the rest of them (without the powder coating). It's the most reasonable, easiest to change the bearing ($3.00 from qualitycage.com) and is nice and quiet. It is large enough around and has a super large running area on. This wheel, with a few bearing changes, will last you the entire life of your chinchilla. While I LOVE the Flying Saucer, I have had a few rescues come in that never did get the hang of it. Most did, but at the cost, I wouldn't want to take the chance with only one chinchilla.

I have 5 chin spins from quality cage and only have experience with those kind of wheels. I absolutely have no complaints about them either.

I had an educated feeling the chin spin would get the most votes! I found a cheaper one that's very similar, but only 14"! I'll just go an inch bigger for his back! He is my baby after all!

I have Chin Spins, Silver Surfers, Ed wheels and Leo's. Of the three that are readily available. I like the Silver Surfers best for being quiet.

Thanks you all soooo much:)

I just ordered a Chin Spin from Quality Cage yesterday! I'm waiting to find out the shipping cost and okay it so they will send it! I'm so excited!!! I ordered it without the powder coating like you suggested! I cannot wait to see Sunny on it-I hope he loves it and it helps entertain him better. He needed a better way to burn some energy and calories, lol! So seriously thank you all for the help! Who knows how long it would've taken me to finally commit without it! I really do drive myself crazy sometimes! I'll take a pic the first night he has it and post it on here:dance3:

Now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. When I get another chin, I'm going to try the flying saucer and see what happens:)

I have both the Chin Spin and the Flying Saucer. I attatched the Saucer with longer U Bolts and a long pine board on the outside of the cage, and I never hear them. The Chinspin rattles the cage. At least that has been my experience. I do love both wheels though. :D

Chin spin, ask for it not powder coated. I like the construction and size of this wheel better than the ED, the diameter and running surface is larger. Buy it from quality cage.

I personally LOVE my Leo Brauns and pay top dollar for them when I find them used.

What is the reason for not having it powdered coated?
I wish I would of known this when I ordered mine last year, oh well

Mine are all powder coated and have not had any problems with them (am also knocking on wood right now). Some members were having issues of the powder coating coming off or chipping off.

This thread discusses the problems with the powder coating.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16156&highlight=powder

I'm not aware of anyone who has the un-coated ones, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up over time. The company certainly does not promote or encourage buying them without the powder coating. You have to specifically ask for it.

Linda

Edgar has a flying saucer wheel and is one of the few that just hasn't gotten it and he's had it for over six months. He does however use it as a slide when he zoom's around his cage.

This thread discusses the problems with the powder coating.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16156&highlight=powder

I'm not aware of anyone who has the un-coated ones, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up over time. The company certainly does not promote or encourage buying them without the powder coating. You have to specifically ask for it.

Linda

They would hold up just as well as the ED Wheels considering they are also not powder coated. My Ed Wheel is in perfect condition after being used for several years. The powder coating mainly just makes it look prettier.

Latest posts

Back