HUGE poop!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Directorthiang

I gave my chin Dash a helping of Life Line for the first time last night and this evening I found poop on his ledge that was HUGE! They were the correct shape, but humongous in size. Is this normal? I'm worried. They have a bit of a smell to them, but he was tested for parasites just a few days ago and the test came back clean.

Most likely it's fine. I'm not sure why people think that every single piece of chin poop is uniform in size. Some are bigger, some are smaller, some rounder, some flatter. If it's not squishy, black, slimy, or any other abnormal thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

When I did a feed switch from PenPals onto a good food again, my chins all had larger, longer poops. No biggie.

Well it was a huge pile of them, not just one or two; more like a hefty pile of about twenty or thirty. He'd previously been pooping tiny round balls about the size of small GrapeNuts or normal sized poops the size of long grains of rice. Now, they're puffed up, squishy (but not wet), about a 1/2 centimeter in length and as round/thick as a meal worm.

...best description I can give.

I suppose it could be the change in diet, but I only gave him a tsp. of Life Line. Granted... he's never had it before.

I know I'm sounding like a paranoid freak, but what with all of Dash's other undiagnosed issues, I'm grasping at straws.

I am sure it was just a reaction to the new food. Some chins are ok with it others are not. Keep an eye on it, I am sure it will be fine.

Did the poo have holes or was it hollow? Did it look like a pile of dog poo? That kind of pile of poo was something I found with my bloat chins when they were coming off having bloat.

I suppose it could be the change in diet, but I only gave him a tsp. of Life Line. Granted... he's never had it before.
Did you give a full tsp or did you use the scoop that came with the LifeLine? A full tsp is a lot of LifeLine.

No holes in it, and not hollow. Just shorter and fatter than I've ever seen it... like sausages. But not attached to each other...

Haven't seen it since last night, so I think it was definitely the Life Line. I gave two scoops of the Life Line mixed with water (the scoop that came with it) and then added some critical care because I'd added too much water. I'm guessing he ate about a tsp. total of powder mixed with water.

Grapenut sized poo is not normal... and really neither is rice sized poo, that's pretty small for an adult chin.

My chin had the same problem but the poos were large and hollow with a small bit of smell. I took both of my chins to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong. I don't think these vets are experience enough as much as they claim!!!

Hollow poo is gas and that goes along with the smell. When a chin is gassy the bacteria have got out of control and causes the smell.

Back