how to get a chinny back in his cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

i was just wondering what kind of techniques you guys use to get your chinny (ies) back in the cage after play time...right now the room i use for playtime is connected to my bedroom which is where i keep my chinny...so when she is tired and wants to go back....she does...its amazing...but since i'm moving the room i plan to use as the play room is not connected to my bedroom...how do i catch my chinny without running around the room scaring the crap out of her? i know people use the dust baths but if my chinny is in her dust bath and if i approach it she is gone...she is too smart and too quick lol...she is always one step ahead...she is kind and loving and loves to play with me...but if i try to catch her she is gone...any tips??? i know some of you also use a cat carrier but i have the same issue...as i approach the carrier she is gone lol...help!!! :)

Catch them. Chins NEED to get used to being held, touched, and picked up.

Not pointed at anyone in particular, but this seems to be a re-occuring thing, it is important that chins be used to being handled!

oh i completely agree...i hold her about once a day...but i do so by taking her safely out of her cage...where i have a good grasp...she doesnt mind being held...she is not squirmy or anything....thats not the issue..i just dont want to chase her in a open room...for risk of hurting her or her falling...or scaring her...if she is sitting on me or on the couch i do pick her up...but there are times when she is just running circles in a room...i have no way of catching her...its kind of a game for her...if she sess you are trying to catch her...she runs..she is so smart...because when im not trying to catch her and i walk up to her she has no problem...its like she knows when i am trying to catch her lol

You can try a catch-and-release type game, where you catch her, but release her and playtime continues. That way, being caught isn't completely associated with playtime ending and going back to the cage. Just to get started, sit on the floor with her and let her come to you, "catch her", then release her back for playtime. I agree that all chins need to be somewhat comfortable with being at least held for a small amount of time. Owners need not be so freaked out and tentative to pick them up when they need to. It is important especially for emergency situations, in case of illness, and of course for those hair ring checks for boys! The more you handle them, the better, and the chin probably won't be as skittish.

My playroom is the bathroom, so I wait til my boys jump up on the sink vanity and pick them up. Sometimes I have to wait 'cause I think they know and they hid behind the toilet!! But I pick them up almost every day so they are used to it.

As I understand you can pick up your chin and hold her, but just during play time she does not like being caught! Smart chinnie, she probably wants to play more, it's more fun than being in the cage!
Try putting the carrier out when you let her play, not when you want to catch her, so she can play with it, getting in and out. When you think playtime is over wait for her to get in the carrier.
Or use the blanket, gently cover her, and then keep her head out, so se feels safe and sees that she is going back to cage.
Or sit on the floor and cover yourself with the blanket, chins like to get under too to play, this way you can easily catch her. My chins like to play this way!
Good luck!

My playtime is in a playpen, so when it's time to go back in the cage, I just start folding the playpen until there's only a small space left, so I don't have to 'catch them' just pick them up.

The first year we had Trixie, Rick found a small dog carrier at a garage sale. I have gotten her to where if I bring the crrier t the open door of her cage, she will jump in, to go to her playroom. I then put the carrier, door open on the floor by where I sit. It took some time, but we have gotten to where when she is ready to go back, she will hop into her carrier. I then close the door to it. I bring the carrier up to me and reopen the door. She will hop onto my hand and let me carry her back to her cage.
This does not always work, but sometimes if I say "Trixie, home" she will run to her carrier. I have gotten so where I know the cues that she gives that she is about ready to go back. She will run in and out of her dust bath, and to th corner of one table. Then go to the door of the carrier, peek in and run off. It is as if she wants to get a few last minutes of running out of her system before she goes home.

My double playpen is attached to my chin's cage which is always available to her. She can come in and out of her cage at any time. Saves me the trouble of trying to catch her. But I do try to get her used to being held during playtime so she gets used to the idea. She won't let me hold her, but I still handle her as much as I can.

You can try a catch-and-release type game, where you catch her, but release her and playtime continues. That way, being caught isn't completely associated with playtime ending and going back to the cage. Just to get started, sit on the floor with her and let her come to you, "catch her", then release her back for playtime. I agree that all chins need to be somewhat comfortable with being at least held for a small amount of time. Owners need not be so freaked out and tentative to pick them up when they need to. It is important especially for emergency situations, in case of illness, and of course for those hair ring checks for boys! The more you handle them, the better, and the chin probably won't be as skittish.

I do the "catch & release" thing during playtime with my boys and it has make a difference. Most of the time when they're tired they will got back into their cages on their own. There's usually at least one stubborn one (I won't mention any names LOL) that fights for more playtime. So, I use a towel to kind of corner him and gently toss it on him...works like a charm. I hold my chins every day and they don't mind it as long as it's not more than 5 minutes or so.

thanks for all the great advice everyone!!! i will definitely be trying these techniques!!! :)

A lot of my chins think the game is 'catch me ' if you can - They are used to being held and love thier head and neck scratched They will be waiting at the door but as soon as I open the cage - its 'catch me' - Even the little ones I am hand feeding because their mother died. I have been hand feedling them for 4 weeks - When they see me , they are right at the door waiting to be fed. Howver as soon as I open the door - it's 'catch me' - As soon as I get them they settle right down and are looking for the feeding syringe When they are running loose I use the towel over the chin trick Works all the time with me

The easiest way for me to catch them is to put their dust house on the floor and wait for them to go inside. Works every time and there's no drama. If they are in their cage they'll come to my hands, but once their out they'll only come if I'm more interesting than everything else.

I have a cardboard can of oats (came in like a bread crumb can) and I shake it and they going running back to the cage to get their treats. They have learned the sound and know they will get treats inside the cage.

2 out of my 6 will go back to the cages when they are done playing, the others, i just sit on the floor when they use me as a bridge i just scoop them up and put them back in the cage, and sometimes they do play catch me if you can but i have all the time in the world, I can play the game to0.
I am to old and to fat to run after tiny little stinky fuzz butts. I play the waiting game, when you hop pass, you get scooped up. Its like that add on TV when the cookies disappear. lol

My 3 chins all get picked up differently-when it's time to go back to the cage from their playroom. This (for me) was one of the hardest things to figure out with having them as pets. I've tried alot of manuvers with these speedy little furballs. My oldest is ready to go back when it's time, and stands by my feet to be picked up. (he's the easiest). My middle one, i set the carry cage (i bring them to the room in) down in the middle of the floor-and stand behind it. He goes in; and i quickly close the door. My youngest is the hardest. And, to note: these chins are handled alot. He runs and runs--but, i don't chase him. I try to catch him when he jumps in my lap -and that works sometimes. When all else fails-i have to corner him and catch him. I use a 3 ft. heigh cardboard box thats about 4-5 foot long and fold it around him against the wall. I try to do it around a plastic stool that he then jumps on,and is completely "then" willing to get picked up. And, gives me the look like he's "not difficult"!!hehe

My chin knows the word "treat". I say it and he goes in his cage, unless he is not through playing. 9 times out of 10 it works. I wonder if they sense when I am antsy and trying too hard to get him in his cage? He is out for 30 to 60 minutes in the morning and in the evenings. At night when I am ready to relax and watch a television program that's when he gives me the most trouble. Treat does not work. You think he feels the tension? I worry at times if he is lonely and the main reason I don't get another chin is I can't imagine getting two chins back in their cage at the same time but the blanket trick sounds like a good idea. Dustbath works 25% of the time. Also my chin loves to be held and petted (or I tell myself he does). He jumps on my hand to get out of the cage. I pet him for a few minutes and then I say kiss, kiss and he turns his head and kisses me and I let him on the floor to run, hit walls, chew toys, etc.

Our girls head to the cage when I tell them to. No, they won't do it obediently and immediatelly as a dog would do - they'll roam, run and hide just a little longer, and I need to act like I would "chase" them a little, but within a minute both of them are in their cage. Good girls!

And of course, their sand box makes them to jump in in two seconds. :clap1:

Latest posts

Back