How often do you weigh your chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holly89

Hi, I have recently bought a weighing scale and had the fun of weighing them~

However, I am just not sure how often I should weigh them and how much variations in weight is normal.

Would really appreciate any comments :)

P.S. Not sure if this should be posted here though...

If your chins are still growing or sick, once every week or two. If they're full grown and healthy, once a month is plenty.

I weigh my growers to track growth. They're the only ones I do on a regular basis. I usually weigh girls I'm worried about or to bench mark weight before going in with a male to track pregnancy. I know some do it more often but I don't like stressing them out and the chance of fur slips.

I weigh weekly, except for newborns who get weighed daily to make sure that they are growing like they should. I do weekly because with some things like malo, the first sign that something is wrong is weight loss.

An adult chin's weight can vary. I have seen chins vary 10 to 15 grams from week to week with nothing wrong with them. What you need to look for is not how much of a change but rather if there is a continued trend of weight loss.

I weigh every other week. With the rescues, that allows me to see how they're doing, health-wise, and for my breeders, helps keep track of of potential pregnancies and such. And establishes a pattern, so I know the chin's average weight is, should they get sick and start losing weight.

I always worry about the people that "think" their chin is losing weight, and were told at the vet that the chin weighed x..... but have no idea what the chin weighed before. It does no good to know what they weigh when they're sick. You need to know what they weigh when they're well for an accurate comparison.

I don't weigh unless I have cause for concern-- a kit that doesn't look like they are growing on track, an adult that looks like it has lost some weight/doesn't seem interested in food etc.

I never weighed my chins until Demon got sick and passed away. Then I weighed Angel, to make sure she's eating and not depressed. She was 486g last week and is 484g today. I'm pretty sure 2 grams is nothing to worry about. She hopped right on the scale for me( I used a shreddie as a lure) like a good little girl.

Back