How much acidophilus will I need to give???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlandochins

One of my chins has a cloudy eye today...I have an appointment for her tomorrow morning...my gut feeling is that it is an ulcer on her cornea....if the vet recommends Baytril I know I should give her some acidophilus....how much do I give her and how often???

thanks

You can try Bene-Bac, it's palatable & easy to give. I use the powdered acidodiphilis in supplement -appx 1/2 capsule per chin per month.

With Buttons I emptied a 4 Billion capsule into his CC daily. If you aren't sure yet if you will be hand feeding, they make them in chewable forms that are flavored. My chins LOVE the strawberry flavor (thanks for the recommendation Peggy!). I break each into into 4 pieces and give them a quarter each day. If the chin needs the extra bacteria because of the Baytril though, I would go for at least half each day instead of the quarter.

thanks....I am hoping that she continues to eat....she is so feisty I just can't imagine trying to hand feed her...she is also a pig with her food and will eat all of it if she thinks another chin might get it so hopefully the baytril won't stop her from eating

Can you give them a probiotic even when they are not on meds or sick???

I highly recommend giving probiotics to chins regularly. I give some three times a week and this keeps them regular! Works for humans too. :thumbsup:

You cannot overdose a chin on acidophilus. Find the highest cell count possible - in the billions. You can give a capsule to them daily when they are sick. I do it weekly-monthly when they are not sick.

Also remember not to give the baytril (antibiotics) and the acidophilus at the same time as it can cancel out the effects of the probiotics. Space it with about 4 hours in between.

Is your chin also on eye drops? I know a cloudy eye can mean an ulcer. Loki had one, and he was on gentamycin drops along with the baytril and it cleared up within a couple of weeks. Though, we had to put a cone on him since he kept messing with his eye.

Good luck.

I give my chins 1/2 an accidophilus pill almost every other day. They both love them to bits even though they aren't flavored.

Chimi has not been to the vet yet...I just noticed it but she is going to the vet in the morning....so I am expecting eye drops and baytril...

Ah okay! Just make sure the eye drops don't have steroids. I was warned that it can make the ulcer worse. Be sure to update after the vet visit.

As for the baytril, if it is oral be sure to give a "chaser" afterwards (like a cheerio or shredded wheat) to prevent them from not eating.

So Chimi is home from the vet and she has oral baytril and gentamycin drops. She has a small ulcer on her eye and will go back on Monday for a check up....hopefully all will heal well

Latest posts

Back