How many Goldilocks...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffyskaar

So I was wondering.. the very rare Goldbar color of chinnie... How many of those have actually been born? Is there any sort of record or anything?

Record are kept by individual breeders who have them, there is no "gold bar" club that keeps track of how many there are etc. Many time breeders may have a rare mutation but not want everyone to know because they don't like to be hounded by tons of people who think they just NEED to own a rare mutation.

Goldbars are a "rare mutation" but I personally would not consider them a "very rare" mutation. There are several very qualified and knowledgeable breeders working on perfecting them. There are probably many more of them around than most people think, just most people don't want the attention regarding them.

I know we have at least one breeder on the forums that is working with the mutation currently. She has 2 males and a female I think? I don't remember precisely except that she was nice enough to post to my Chin Colors thread I started a few months back when the newest baby arrived.

I would be interested in learning more about the goldbar. What are the genetics there?
Is it a combination of mutations, like a pink white, or a separate mutation unto itself?
They are very pretty, though I've only seen pics. It would be cool to see one in person.

Here's a few pics of goldbars. I do feel like a broken record when it comes to them, as everyone always asks the same questions and I do have people write me often asking if I will sell one to them because they are "rare".

If I did sell one, one day, it would be only to a really good breeder. I have three boys, one girl. I know others who have some as well, but no I won't be saying who. They like their privacy on it. ;) The first ever goldbar was born in 1995, out of two standards though. They are bred by a few breeders, not just myself, and are being bred for improvement and to outcross them.

Some goldbar carriers have even been shown and gotten 1B's and 1st place on show tables. Won't say who is showing them. But they are doing good! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC04770.JPG
    DSC04770.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03893.JPG
    DSC03893.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC04462.JPG
    DSC04462.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 64
I have three boys, one girl

Uhm.. not to criticize there Serena but you've got that a little backwards no? :p

They are classed with whites, but if the judges recognize them as a goldbar they may take the unique coloring into consideration as not to think they are dirty or oxidized, etc. At least that is how they would do it here. I'm not sure if things are different in other regions, Canada, etc.

Wow that's cool! I can understand why everyone who has one would want their privacy. thanks lilchinchilla for sharing with us:D

Have any actually been shown? I know a few Lowe Recessive Whites were and were classed as whites, but Serena only mentioned the carriers being shown. I would think the goldbars would be classed as an extra light beige - but it really depends on who is doing the classification.

They may, at some point in the future, get their own color section if they ever become common enough that a few appear at shows regularly, but that is up to the national organizations and, in the case of the goldbars, I don't see that happening any time soon.

They may, at some point in the future, get their own color section if they ever become common enough that a few appear at shows regularly, but that is up to the national organizations and, in the case of the goldbars, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'm not sure that I see that happening here either. I got to see a few goldbars at a ranch last month and I have to say that they were not worthy of showing. When I first saw the photos of goldbars, I was absolutely fascinated with them but after seeing them in person, I realized that there's a long way to go before they should be classified on the show table and I'm no longer impressed.

I'm not sure that I see that happening here either. I got to see a few goldbars at a ranch last month and I have to say that they were not worthy of showing. When I first saw the photos of goldbars, I was absolutely fascinated with them but after seeing them in person, I realized that there's a long way to go before they should be classified on the show table and I'm no longer impressed.

If I may ask, What were you unimpresed with? Size, fur? Is the color really noticably different or do you really have to look to see they are not light beige? Just wondering, it is kind hard to see the color in a photo.

Well, I guess I'm just too picky. The size of course isn't very much of a factor because size can easily be worked on, but most of these chins that I saw were little shrimps. I didn't like the fur at all. Very short, lose fur, and I personally don't like the color, but then again, I don't like beige either (nor do I breed beige). The ones I saw looked like really creamy pink white midgets with no neck. I like big blocky chins.

Well everyone's goldbars are different. Mine are not shrimps. One's a little too lazy and chubby. His oldest son is even bigger than him, definitely NOT a shrimp.

They do however need work on the fur, imo. It needs to stand up better as it is not as resilent as any of my other mutations fur, nor as dense among other things. But it is a work in progress. No one ever said goldbars were show quality.

I do know for fact the standard/goldbar carriers did do well when shown though. There has not been an actual goldbar on a table however. Just standard/goldbar carriers.

Recessive whites have shown and done very well when shown as well as standard/recessive white carriers too. But they are not the same thing.

Latest posts

Back