how many drops of simethicone?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No its a probiotic which helps grow natural bacteria that allow good digestion.. its a good idea but if its that urgent I dont know that I would wait.... what are your thoughts? if he hasnt pooped in a while i would be concerned

Well I found a small one in his dust bath after he got out just now. And the stupid vets over here aren't 24 hr. I have an appointment tmw at 10 :)

Not to sound rude, but this is how it's going to come out, stop self vetting. Twice now you've given or talked about giving something that you don't even know what it really does. Luckily so far neither of them won't hurt. If you don't really know what something does, don't give it, or ask first. And the CC is a food replacer, if the chin is eating it's not needed, if it's not eating then that's another issue, and probably the obvious cause of little or no poop.

Right now the biggest deal is hydration. Usually with impaction any fecal matter you get will be small amounts of diarrhea. There is a risk for stasis, which if not treated can cause death of the intestines.

Usually its good to give them only hay I would do it for the night...its higher in fiber. Also, if he will take water from a syringe from u itd be good to monitor the water intake...water helps. I think you can follow the simethicone drop directions given by ticklechin. When i use acidopholus I use the caplets and sprinkle it on the food but in your case in the water would work if he will take it ..

There's no diahrea. He's drinking water, and I know...I'm readin about stuff right now on these forums. What should I do from now til the vet appointment tomorrow riven?

I think your doing the best you know how. Good job for asking for direction. I think your doing the best you can with what you have like you said theres no 24 hour vet. I commend you for coming on here to figure it out. The other option is to sit and do nothing and hope he is alive in the morning but you obvioulsy have been more caring and smarter than that... I think thats great. Keep coming around you can learn a lot here

Thanks, the people that gave him to me didn't know what they were doing...plastic cage,treat filled food, etc...I changed all that. They said to cold switch him from the treat filled crap to mazuri, so I did...

great...can u clean out the litter so u can count how many poops are happening?

Yeah his cage is all granite on the bottom and the hay is on the first floor. He's going to town on the hay, lol all hi synptoms are normal, its just that he's not pooping.

Thats better i think...keep an eye hopefully it keeps increasing!

Push fluids.

When did you get him? How long have you had him? Some chins don't do well on Mazuri. Are you sure he's been eating? Drinking?

Yes I'm sure, he's been on mazuri for about two weeks. I've had him for about a month.. he's eating and drinking just fine. Goes through about 2 oz of pellets a day.

Usually it depends on their activity level, the more active the more poo. I'm not sure how much 2 oz is without measuring out some pellets. On average my chins, most anyway, go through about 1/2 c per day.

Simethicone won't hurt and can help relieve any bloating.

Have you noticed any other symptoms at all? Odd movement, dragging his belly against the ground?

Nope, he's not dragging his belly.. he's up and active now. He's pooping more...they're round at the ends...not rock solid, could tht be from the gas drops???

Usually hard poos are due to dehydration, or prolonged time in the lower intestines.

If a chin is gassy or bloaty usually if you break a poo in half you will sell little "holes", and here it goes for everyone who loves them, but kind of like that new areated Hershey's chocolate, lol. If that's the case I'd give more gas drops. Think about what happens if you get kind of gassy and bloated, you don't feel well, you don't want to eat or drink anything because you already feel really full. For a chin that only complicates things.

If you haven't I'd refill the water bottle so you can monitor how much is being consumed.

Will do! Thank you so much for all the help, I'm still fairly new to this so yeah...I did break up one of the poos earlier and there was just one small hole in it...so no swiss hersheys here! Haha

Back