How low of a supply until you order feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How low do you allow your feed levels to get?

• I order/buy when I have a month supply left.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I order/buy when I have 2 weeks supply left.

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • I don't order/buy until I'm out.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other...Please explain

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
Tractor Supply its become so popular that they now stock it: no more special order! Much fresher than what the local feed store was bringing in, which is a shame because I prefer to support the local small businesses.
Same here - I tried all three local companies but wasn't getting fresh feed and often they'd call me and have it sold by the time I got there (15 min!) due to running out of the other feeds. Tractor supply originally told me they couldn't "special order" anything - but with enough pestering started to get in several - Manna Pro, Pruina and Nutrina along with another generic brand. Now when I go it's easy to pick up what I want. They've got all the show and performance blends.

They've also got the freshest/nicest timothy mix hay cubes around. With the exception of the PDZ I do all of my shopping there.

I buy from Sandi and Chrysta, and both of them have very fast shipping (1-2 days). So I just eyeball it, and when there's a handful left I order more. Both of my feeds can also be bought at the petstore, so I know that if there is a delay in shipping I can alwasy bite the bullet and buy a small bag.

Lately I've been able to pick up more Oxbow every time I see Sandi. This next trip is going to cut in close, but since I'm transitioning the rescues to Mazuri for their new family, I think Latte will be able to make it on her current bag.

I mix two types of feed and my container only holds about 50 lbs so I usually have two 1/2 bags hanging around - when I get to the point where I need to mix those bags, I go get some more. I never get much at a time, because I have a small herd (only 30 animals) and it takes them enough time to go through 50 lbs of feed that I can get another of each type before they run out.

I will have to modify this when our herd gets larger.

I feed Mazuri and there are so many sources for it around here that I just pick up a bag once I have a couple days of food left.

I think it really depends on the number of chins that you own and how much you're going through. I have to order 20 bags of feed at a time from my Tractor Supply as it normally takes 3 weeks for them to get it in and I get a free bag for every 20 I order. I try to order when I'm down to 8 bags, that way I'll just about be out when the feed gets in as I go through approximately 2 bags per week.

What is the name of that product? I've been looking for a timothy hay cube.
It's the stanley brand. Red and white bag.

Mine does carry PDZ, but smaller bags that cost more - I think 25# for 7.49 last time I was there. The other feed store in town has 40# bags for $7.

I use Manna Pro feed, and totally agree on the Standlee products at Tractor Supply: awesome selection of stuff (cubes, pellets, baled hay) and I've heard lots of good things from people who use their products. I went nuts the last time I bought feed & got timothy blend cubes, pestered for info on the baled hay, bugged them about beet pulp info, snooped through the pelleted products. It was very educational! (I have a warped sense of fun, keep in mind!)

Back