How do you...?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayzer209

How do you keep a 50 lb bag of food fresh? I only have 2 chins and I have no need for such a large bag of PRSC. I have ordered it a few times from members, but my girls go through 3 lbs in a month and it is rather costly, although much cheaper than a pet store. SO I ask again, how do you keep your food fresh?

If it's cheaper for you to get the 50 lb. bag than ordering online, I would suggest you donate the rest to a rescue or sell it. Once you open the bag no matter where you store it, the nutrional value of the pellet can start to deteriorate after about 4-6 months.

I agree with sandi, once the bag is open it's hard to keep it fresh. I'm not sure if it'll work for prsc, but for Mazuri you can freeze the pellets (thats what their website said to keep it fresh).
I buy the big bag of Mazuri and split it with people I know that has chins. Still save money and have fresh food.

I agree with donating it to a rescue or shelter if they will take an open bag. You could also use some to make chin cookies, but that still wouldn't use up the bag!

Hey thanks Laura, I haven't had to freeze any yet since I have a couple people locally to split the bag with.

I always recommend that people use up food within about four months. At that point throw the food away and get fresh.

Freezing food can cause it to mold...be very careful with that. It's not a good idea to keep it in the freezer for too long. I used to store food in a large freezer until one day I noticed that the bags had moldy food at the bottom! It's better to store feed in a cool, dry place inside of the house where it won't be undergoing so much of a temperature change. Condensation in pellets can be very bad.

Back