How do people do it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

I started my Volunteer work at the Humane Society today. I've been trying to fill in my spare time from work, school, my volunteer work with the beagle rescue, and of course, my boyfriend. I can't believe I still have so much time.

Anywho, I had some time before my shift so I was just walking around the kennels looking at dogs and one really caught my attention. She was a cattle dog mix around a year old and just looked poopy and lonely. I walked over and read her story and apparently she came in when she was a puppy and got adopted. Apparently she had been left outside all her life at the adoptive home and then was brought back in because the couple had a baby. She was whining so I bent down to talk to her and pet her and she started quivering and pawing at me. I just broke down in tears.

I don't see how people can work there and not have a house full of animals. It simply amazes me.

I called my boyfriend just to talk and to tell him about her since he loves cattle dogs. I jokingly told him he was lucky I came moneyless or he would have another dog. He laughed and said he wants to go "look" at her tomorrow :neener:. Hopefully he doesn't find out that they have rats too, cause I have a feeling we would be coming home with a few more rats.

My official week volunteering starts next weekend since I don't work weekends. I'll be in the socializing and adoptions area. :)

I can't wait, but still, my heart hurts :( can't get that sound and picture out of my head :( poor girl.

Has anyone volunteered or is anyone currently volunteering at a humane society?

Me neither. And her being an outside dog wouldn't interfere with a baby. I just don't get people.

I would never ever be able to work at a shelter of any sort. I almost got a job at our local humane society, but just walking through there breaks my heart.

You'll have to let us know how it goes when your boyfriend "looks" at the pup ;)

hehe Looking means new dog

Susan--i thought the same thing!

I think it is awesome that you are volunteering. Even the few minutes of joy that you give the animals will help them. I think if it was a no kill shelter I would be able to volunteer but if i made a connection with an animal and then they would be put down, I would end up with a houseful of dogs!!

I have always wanted to volunteer in a shelter but know I'm not strong enough to handle it. It would be so hard to leave at the end of the day! Kudos to you for taking this on! :bowdown: Oh, and enjoy your new dog. ;)

I'm killing time right now at the local shelter. Going to see about assisting with information technology needs of theb shelter.

At times I help out at my local shelter cleaning out the cage cages. See, I can do it because I can't take any more animals. So, knowing that allows me not to take them all home with me! But yes, it's hard looking at all those faces. You just have to realize you can't save them all unfortunately.

I am very active at my local shelter. It get's tougher and tougher to believe people are at all intelligent with animals with some of the reasons dogs are brought in. I am also always amazed at how so many still even trust a person. It is tough when a dog you absolutely love leaves the shelter in the non happy way, but I just tell myself you gave that dog all the love you could and it was probably more than that poor thing had it's whole life. It at least left having someone on their side.

Back