How did your furbabies get their names?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
My boy, Bovril, is named after a loris from Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy. I was torn between him and his sister when I was choosing, and I was leaning towards her because I started calling her Aoife so I got attached, but once she came up with Bovril (she introduced me to the books), it stuck like glue!

(and of course the loris was named after the British beef extract. Whatever that is. :p)
How did your ladies and gents get their names?

Last edited:
Lol I was pretty young when I first got Bubbles. So she got her name from my favorite character off The Power-puff Girls :p
She also got it because when I first went to meet her she was chasing the Bubbles a little child was blowing :p

Inca (PW)was already named when I got him. Bandit (dark eb) is named after Burt Reynolds in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit", Smokey (mosaic) is named after the Sheriff in the movie, Frog (standard) is named after Sally Fields in the movie (Burt called her Frog), Snowman (mosaic) is named after the trucker in the movie and last is Jackson (beige) who is honoring the late Micheal Jackson.

Chichi was something I thought of spur of the moment when I picked her up and then her babies, Tribble got his name from the creatures on Star Trek and Tia was just a name I thought was cute and began with a T. Nothing too special here :p

James T. Kirk and Mobtgomery Scott (Scotty) were named by Cornellia and the names totally resonated with us, so we kept them. They are growing into their namesakes quite quickly :)

Zoidberg came with his name, it's from the show Futurama and suits him.

Rufus is named after George Carlin's character in Bill and Ted. We were supposed to get two cats at the same time we got Rufus and we were going to call them Bill and Ted. We got Rufus first and then never got the cats.

Dale Earnhardt got his name before we even met him. My fiance said the only way we could ever get another chin was if it was black and he could name him Dale Earnhardt. I found an ad on here the next day for a BV that needed rescuing near by. He was originally named Licorice, but it just didn't fit. Dale is deaf and has a head tilt and only moves in circles, his name suits him perfectly.

My son called and asked to bring over a baby chin to our house and asked if he could keep her with us overnight. When he came in with the little box and I opened the box the and cutest little creature was staring at me.

My son said I don't know what to call her do you have any ideas. My partner said "Lola" .... "she looks like a Lola" and that is how she was named.

By the way, my son never took her and Lola is a permanent resident to our home.

When I saw Luna's pic online I knew I was in love even before I met her in person. Her name was Mrs. Zigglesworth but I KNEW I was going to change that. She is a mosaic and is a silvery grey color that reminded me of the moon...so Luna just fit her! Now I couldn't imagine her having any other name (even though she has about a zillion nicknames too!)

My almost 7 year old daughter thinks it's very cool that the baby polar bear at our local zoo was officially named Luna this week too :)

My BV is named Trinity by her breeder because she 'wears' a black trench coat., I call her Fattie cause she is big and likes to guard the food bowl when she sleeps. =P

My white mosaic is named Pebble, me and my husband thought his pattern looks a lot like white granite and so wanted a rock themed name. He looks small next to Fattie so Pebble fit the best. ^.^

My newest chin, their baby I"m calling Czarina, a name based on the word Czar, because even at 50 grams she was bossing me and the adult chins around. By 2 days old she already was klacking when displeased ehehe.

Last edited:
My blue diamonds are after the periodic table. Violets are after spices. My standard females I just started naming after flowers and standard males out of trees. My blacks are out of butterflies or moths.

Wicket is named after the ewok in Star Wars, and Bazil, I just liked the name, it's a variation on the name Basil, and I love Italian food, in which basil is used a lot.

I started out with Bug (Cuddlebug). Her name fit her as she loved to cuddle into my shoulder when I held her. The rest of my chinchillas' names came first from cartoon characters and then from TV shows that I love to watch, and yes, I am a trekkie and proud of it!

Mine are named Dottie and Mae after the "A League of Their Own" characters. It is one of my favorite movies and I think the names are cute.

My White Mosaic Caboose got his name from the character from the Red vs. Blue series. Thor(Hetro Beige) was named after my favorite Norse god.

My standard Grey is named Chase, mostly because I was trying to think of a name and I found him to be a quick little one xD Never actually had to 'chase' him around but I don't know, it just seemed to fit.

My mosaic Eis is named that way because he's mostly white haha. And Eis means ice cream.

My brown velvet is named Cream because she was lighter coloured as a baby and it looked like a creamy-beige colour.

I got my Sigma as a "reward" for going through school again. He was supposed to arrive after I was done with school- but we found him early and I couldn't resist.

So to make my math class a little easier (calc wasn't fun!), we named him Sigma after one of the Greek, mathematical signs. :)

I named my girls Arya and Daenerys (Dany for short) after the characters from Game of Thrones! I'm getting a homo ebony soon and trying to think up a good name for her.

my girlfriend and i are giant Disney enthusiast (we even have disney tattoos!) we were on our way to pick up Wall-E and if you ever seen the movie Wall-E he does this cute little "woah" thing a few times lol so we were in the car and one of us said "woah" and we were currently on the topic of a name for our new chin and we INSTANTLY looked at each other and our minds just clicked to the same thing. :D

Delilah got her name because when I brought her home I started singing "Hey there Delilah" to get her used to my voice and she went crazy. It was the only song she reacted to so thats how she got her name. It's still the only song she likes :)

Back