How did your furbabies get their names?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Jazz got her name because, she's a violet and it just kinda reminded me of the smooth jazz music. And Camel or Cam, got her name because she is beige like a Camel.

Buddha got his name because he's chubby. Maybe not compared to other chinchillas, but he's got that round little body - and the way he sits perfectly still like he's meditating... Especially when he stands up on his hind legs and freezes. Plus, he's my little boo and Buddha sounds similar. I just called him Buddha one day and it felt right - none of the other names I was considering did. I should have named him Usain or Bolt because when I let him out of his cage, he runs around the room in circles like he's on a track!

My boy's name is Pirate.

He's basically all white (a bit of greying of his face and base of his tail, with blackish ears) with only one actual marking: a black spot shaped like an eyepatch above his eye.

I go with my gut when naming animals, and automatically Pirate popped into my head
:)

All of our chins have biblical names. (I am a pastor.)

Phoebe came with her name and that is part of the reason we adopted her. Phoebe was a woman that helped Paul in his ministry in the early church.

We chose the name, Mary Magdalene, because of her importance in the New Testament and to Jesus.

We chose Esther because of her strength of character in the Hebrew Bible.

We chose the names Naomi and Ruth because of their story. In chin life, Naomi is Ruth's sister. However, their mother passed away shortly after Ruth's birth. Just as Ruth refused to leave Naomi's side in the Bible after the death of her husband (Naomi's son), my Naomi adopted Ruth as her own child.

I have a bible named 'line' with my chins. It started with Samson. Samson was an orphan that I was hand feeding. I took him to my Sunday school class and did a lesson on how God wanted us to take care of HIS world (including the animals). Then I showed them the baby chin and said they could name him. The name with the most 'votes' would win. They chose Samson. From Samson 'lines' came Noah, Joshua, Jacob, Esther, Lydia, Rehab, Rachel, Jordan, Naomi,and Jael.

Mine are all from things I liked or used to like in childhood. Like shows and books, etc.

Alice - I love Alice in Wonderland
Luna, Diana, and Hotaru - I loved the show Sailor Moon when I was a kid, so their names all come from that.
Appa - From Avatar, another show I watched when I was younger
Penny - From The Big Bang Theory
Kero and Sakura - From another show I watched as a kid, Cardcaptors.
Perry - From yet another show I used to love, Phineas and Ferb
Kairi - From Kingdom Hearts
Kisa and Kyo - Yet again, a show I used to love called Fruits Basket
Kaasha - From a book series I love called Pendragon

:) I like getting names from things I like.

I like to name all my girls after flowers & plants: Holly, Daisy, Flora, Ivy, Dahlia, Daffodil, etc. The boys have been harder, I wanted to name them for earthy things, like rocks & metals, so I have Coal, Obsidian, Shale, Jasper, Sterling, Diamond. When I took over another ranch I named all the incoming chins with bird names: Wren, Raven, Pigeon, Lark, Bunting, Merlin, Hawk, etc. The babies born here all get candy & snack names: Taffy, Wrigley, Juju, Mike & Ike, Lolli, Chip, Jelly, Candy, Sweetheart, etc. I never run out of names!

Jackie and Chan are named after Jackie Chan =P
my boyfriend and i have watched the animated series quite a few times, and there is one episode in which Jackie is turned into a chinchilla using the Monkey Talisman. they kept talking about chinchillas, asking what they were, basically, so we got curious and googled. afterwards, we decided we wanted one so we did research for months and months until we finally got our first. we named our first chin Jackie. a few months later, we got Chan.
their nicknames are Jackie Chin and Chanchilla. =P

Such cute stories! I love it!

I didn't name my chin until a few days after I got him. I was struggling to think of a name that suited him. It came to me when my friends and I were sitting around the table talking. We were reminded of a funny situation that happened during a board game we had played. One of my friends meant to guess Barry Manilow for one of the answers, but for some reason it came out "Mary Bigelow" (still cracks me up thinking about it). Obviously I couldn't name a boy chin Mary, so I just stuck with the second half, Bigelow. Bigelow does suit him, because he's a mellow and confident kind of chin (and kind of big imo).

My sister saw Ehren Mcghehey dressed up as a mouse and convinced me to name my chin Ehren.

Omar was named after the show The Wire. Really random.
But then again, I have a ferret that was named Chicken.

I named my first standard chinchilla Gus cause I thought it was such a cute name, and he reminded me of the tubby mouse Gus-Gus off Cinderella :)

OMG!! My baby Aya is from Scott Westerfelds Uglies series:) Meo is from a game my brother plays. Juniper is from the Percy Jackson series, and Liebe is German for love haha:)

I didn't get to really name any of mine because I adopted most of them and didn't feel like it was fair to change their names. Avalon came with her name which I originally really disliked but it had grown on me in the last 5 or so years and now I love it. Lupin also came with his name, but as he is a foster chinchilla I don't know if he will get to keep it. Lord Bacon also came with his name, but what isn't to love about that. Finally, Coke was named by an ex and even though I like Coke's name I don't particularly love what it is in reference to. Oh well, I love them all even if I didn't really get to name any of them.

I brainstormed up a list of names and narrowed it down to George, Dudley, and Stanley. I posted here in the forum to see what other people thought too. I thought that I was pretty decided on Stanley, and then when I went home and gave my 7-year-old sister the same list I gave the forum and she chose Stanley too. She was the ultimate decider.

Back