How did your furbabies get their names?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw on Craigslist that She was an ebony female so I tossed around names. I was thinking of just going with "Midnight" and calling her Mindy for short, but then I recalled French from when I was a young student, and thought Minuit was a pretty name.

It's pronounced Min-u-wheat but honestly I just say "Min-wee" lol. Mon petit minuit....

I am a huge geek and in love with Asian culture, so two of my three chinnies are named in other languages. My beige girl is named "Kana" after my favorite Japanese singer Nishino Kana. My ebony boy is named "Teemo" after a character from online video game League of Legends. Their daughter is named "Hana" for two reasons. One, hana means "one" in Korean and my fiancee is half-korean. Two, hana means "flower" in Japanese and she is as cute as a flower. I plan on getting a white mosaic male eventually and naming him "JeongMin" after my favorite member of the Korean boy band Boyfriend. It's amazing how well their names suit them, too!

Misty got her name because she is the same tone as the sky right before it mists.
Dmitri had his name from a previous owner, I was gonna change it, but the owner made a typo in one of our emails and the typo just stuck :p

Benjiman got his name because I was avoiding anything that ended in an "E" sound like the dickens. (He still gets called Benji though…) Also, he was very dignified as a kit, like a friend I had.

Then I had my nature 3-pack
Thumbilina because she was the tiniest (She’s the largest now :D)
Eclipse because she was pure ebony (RIP darling)
And Oceana had something to do with Oceania and what sparked that name I cannot remember.

Also… I lost to my "E" addiction. It’s Misty, Dimi, Ben/Benj/Benji, Thumbi/Tiny Thumbs, Ekka and Ocean/Oshi. :facepalm:

I don't know why I picked the name Rocco, I just liked it! A friend of mine named Furby because she thought he looked like a Furby

When we went to the breeder to see all the chinchillas we wanted a mosaic or standard that wasn't show quality. Ebony was one of the last colors on our list but this little kit hopped into my arms and it truly was love at first sight. He also has an impressive pedigree if you've never had a pet with one. I wanted a dark name that was classy. As we were tossing names around Edgar came up and just fit.

His brother is named Oscar and is a mosaic. He's named after Oscar Wilde but honestly we just liked the name. We thought he'd be our last chinchilla unless we decided to show. Just to brag, Oscar is a reserve color champion after being a return pet

Our violet Jackie was at a show and had been badly beat up by a cage mate so he was never able to be shown. Sadly a cage mate that he was getting along with changed it's mind and so it was not the breeders fault. He was also so afraid at the show that we felt sorry for him. His full brother and sister took 1st and 2nd in their color but no one wanted him. We were realizing we were made for breeding so we decided to get him and be pet owners. We couldn't agree on an authors name so we thought of Jackson after Jackson Pollock but it wasn't right. After thinking of people I'd like him to be like Jackie Chan came to mind so we named him Jackie Chin. Oddly his personality has blossomed and he loves people enough that we can take him for visits at well arranged locations.

It's now been over two years since we've gotten Jackie and we love our three boys more than the day we got them.

Shadow after his color (grey/black/white) and a dog in a movie that came out before I got him and Noel after the day I got him, Christmas Eve, Noel means Christmas.

After watching my chin hop around for the first time, I decided to name him Joey because he hops exactly like a baby kangaroo! (Called joeys).

I named my first "Drucilla" because it sounded right and rhymed with chinchilla. I am a writer and thought it would be a fun idea to write little picture books based on her adventures for my 5 year old and that just sounded like a picture book name: "Drucilla the chinchilla." My second I named Beatrice after the female lead in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing which is one of my favorite plays and being much hyped as an up and coming movie when I was deciding on her name.

Joey was named after the name my Dad gave me when I was young but never stuck. So I decided to name my first chin after the name I never used.

Gary was named after a clip on youtube that my bf found hilarious and I guess the name is kind of an inside joke between us.

My fiance and I just adopted my coworker's six-year-old chin, whom was already named: Moses! Such a serious name for a little ball of fluff... He seems to know his name though, so we aren't going to change it. He responds to Moses, Mose, Mo, Momo, Mosie, and Mosasaur so far. :cute:

My chin was already named when she was given to me. My friend moved and couldn't keep her. Her name is Yuna, which is from a video game (Final Fantasy 10). My hedgehog is named Sonic because I was told she was a boy when I got her, Sonic the hedgehog. However, I checked once she got used to me enough to allow me to look; she is definitely a girl. I stuck with the name though because she responds to it.

I rescued 4 chinnies (one pregnant) and NONE of them had names!
After much discussion with the family, and a nice chinchilla history/geography lesson for my 5 children, we all agreed to use Spanish names to honor the fact that Chins come from South America.
Black Velvet boy: Taquito
Black Velvet girl: Gordita AKA GiGi
Black Velvet baby boy: El Guapo
Hetero Beige girl: Chapupa AKA ChaCHa
Standard Grey girl: Margarita AKA MiMi
This later spurred a family dispute regarding whether or not they speak Spanish or eat these foods in South America, but I settled it with the assurance that South America MUST have Taco Bell Restaurants regardless of what language is or isn't spoken! LoL!!!
We love the names, and the chins have all responded quickly to them, especially the nicknames.

My chin is named Penelope. He's a boy though. Apparently the people that had him before he came to the rescue thought he was a girl, hence the name. I'm just keeping the name...I'm sure he won't mind!

My two are called Cinnamon and Vanilla :) Cinnamon is feisty ad fiery but still very sweet hence cinnamon, and vanilla is more laid back and happy bouncy and sweet hence vanilla :)

My babies are Totoro (Toto) and Chibi-Totoro (Chibi).

I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki films (think: Japanese Disney), especially My Neighbor Totoro, growing up, and have an embarrassingly extensive stuffed Totoro collection. My boyfriend suggested 'Totoro' for the little fatty chin I was about to adopt, as he resembled the movie character: a huge grey keeper of the forest with perky ears, whiskers, and a long tail. When I decided to buy Toto with his Petco cagemate, the not-so-fat one was named for Chibi-Totoro, the smallest of the 3 totoros in the movie. Attaching a screenshot for reference :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374725000.675576.jpg

We rescued our little monster from an abusive home. My hubby had originally wanted a boy to name Ovechkin after his favorite hockey player. But after seeing the terrified little chin in the back of an aquarium, I couldn't leave her there. Long story short, she was a complete disaster at first, biting me to the bone, barking at everything, spraying, complete demon chin. So she got the name Athena Ovechkin, after the Greek Goddess of War.. And his favorite hockey player hah. She still ha a feisty nature, so the name still fits her:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374797993.215789.jpg

Back