How can you tell if you bruised a rib?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gella

I don't have insurance so I can't get to a dr, but I've been having side pain around the rib area and wondering if I bruised it or just pulled a muscle there. Does anyone have any tips for healing/addressing at home if it is just a bruise/pull?

Did you injure the area? Have you been excercising/using those muscles? Have you been coughing? How long has this been going on? Does it happen when you take a breath, or constant? Which side?

I've been doing a lot of pilates lately, but it started hurting the day after some *ahem* intimate activities. I'm wondering if I strained something with the pilates and then pushed it over the edge? Started on Friday and alternates between just a general 'burn' pain along my entire side and then will get sharp sometimes, mostly after sitting at my desk for awhile. On my left side. Needless to say I've been taking a break from any and all strenuous activities and trying to lay on my back instead of side when sleeping.

It's not terribly painful, but is aggravating and I am considering going to the dr regardless of my insurance situation if it does persist for more than a week or so...

I've bruised a rib, while doing a tune-up on a Suburban - the crate I was standing on slipped, and I kinda rolled down the edge of the fender! Took a month to heal, and was very painful the whole time!
More than likely it's muscular, especially if you've aggrevated it later. I'd take some ibuprofen, and try to stretch it out, gently, every few hours! Good luck.

Last edited:
Also try those thermacare heating pad things - they stick to the inside of your shirt, and stay warm for 8+ hours. I've used them before for pulled muscles, and they help so much!

If you didnt actually get a "hit" in the ribs I would say that they are probably not brusied. But you probably just strained some muscles while working out. No pain no gain right? Just take it easy for a couple of days and see how it feels. Maybe take a pain reliever if its that bad. Alternate heat and ice.. 20 min at a time.

Angela you would have had to get pretty hard in the ribs to get a bruised rib. It sounds like some spraining which can be equally painful! I agree with the heat packs. Also cut down a bit on the pilates until you do feel better, and be a little more "reserved" in the intimate moments area LOL! It could take a month to feel back to normal. I do hope you get to feel better soon though!

Awe I am sorry, trust me, I know rib pain, and it is not fun. I had a broken rib, bruised rib, and costochondritis (inflammation of the rib cartilage) all from supposedly just a bad cough or no good reason, and they all felt pretty much the same...horrible! Heating pads, ibuprofen, and relaxing are my best advice. No heavy lifting, and try not to cough or sneeze, it hurts SO bad. Unfortunately even if it is broken they just give you pain meds and send you on your way. There is nothing they can do.

I agree with what's been said so far. Hope you're feeling better soon though!

I'm pretty sure its not a bruised rib now, too much googling made me think that one - but boy is it weird to feel pain in that area (haven't since I got tattooed years ago) and boy does it get annoying to do anything! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Angela you could also wrap it if you had help in doing so. Sometimes that extra support for short periods of time helps.

Back