Housing and food questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tealie

My moms been wanting a chinchilla for oh....18 years now?
Well a girl at school is going away to school and needed homes...and I went up on the offer as quick as it was given.
I nor my mother don't know much, other than food, water and lots of chew toys.

I currently have two rabbits and three rats, which all use shredded newspaper bedding; can Chinchillas do this as well? My rats can't have normal wood chips, and stealing my grandfathers newspapers and shredding them is much cheaper than buying expensive paper bedding.

The cage the girl gave her to me in, is a typical ferret cage, in fact I have one of my rabbits in one. I saw on here people say take the plastic ramps and shelving out and replace it with wooden shelving, well...I can't exactly do that soon. I did take the ramps out. Should I take the shelving out until I can get more wooden shelving (after typing that I realized I should)? And what type of wood can I use? And where do I get it?

The girl actually had a floor to ceiling cage in her room with all wooden shelving, it was all hand made and amazing....makes me wonder why this little girl had a ferret cage.

Also I have some yogurt treats and chinchilla treats she came with. Are Standard pet store treats a no-no?
I can't tell if she's drank much, I was told her bottle dripped a lot, being a glass and metal chew proof bottle, I assume it would drip.
It doesn't look like she's eaten much either...is this all nervousness of being in a new home?
It's hot as anything here, and we don't have very good a/c, so she's in my basement and I stuck a thermometer down there, it read perfectly at 70 degrees (Fahrenheit) do they need to be colder?

...I think that's all my questions I couldn't find.

I currently have two rabbits and three rats, which all use shredded newspaper bedding; can Chinchillas do this as well? My rats can't have normal wood chips, and stealing my grandfathers newspapers and shredding them is much cheaper than buying expensive paper bedding.

Pine shavings are cheap and that's what I use. You can get a huge bale for around $5.00 and it would last one cage at least a month I would think. I would not use shredded newspaper. First, it's going to stain her belly. Second, most likely it will get ingested.

Should I take the shelving out until I can get more wooden shelving (after typing that I realized I should)? And what type of wood can I use? And where do I get it?

If they aren't being chewed, don't worry about it. If they are being chewed, just pull them out until you can get new shelves. Kiln dried pine boards are cheap at home improvement places. Some will even cut them to size for you.

Also I have some yogurt treats and chinchilla treats she came with. Are Standard pet store treats a no-no?

Rule of thumb, if it comes from a pet store, it's most likely total crap. Bite sized, nonsugared shredded wheat, the occasional cheerio, a pinch of old fashioned oats, dried rosehops, organic rosebuds, and/or lots of wood chews. There is a list under the FAQ's of safe woods you can use.

It doesn't look like she's eaten much either...is this all nervousness of being in a new home?

It could be nerves. A change in environment can sometimes shake a chin up. Monitor her weight, watch her droppings. Mark the water bottle so you can see exactly how much she is (or isn't) drinking. I'm assuming it's all her stuff from the other owner?

It's hot as anything here, and we don't have very good a/c, so she's in my basement and I stuck a thermometer down there, it read perfectly at 70 degrees (Fahrenheit) do they need to be colder?

70 is fine.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Pine shavings are cheap and that's what I use. You can get a huge bale for around $5.00 and it would last one cage at least a month I would think. I would not use shredded newspaper. First, it's going to stain her belly. Second, most likely it will get ingested.

Pine won't affect their respiratory systems? That's why my rats can't have it (even though my eldest has out lived many, many rats in pine bedding before I found this out)

If they aren't being chewed, don't worry about it. If they are being chewed, just pull them out until you can get new shelves. Kiln dried pine boards are cheap at home improvement places. Some will even cut them to size for you.

Assuming she's the only one who has used this cage, she's bit the bowl and ramps up, I'll be putting a ceramic dish in there tonight and heading to the store this weekend.

Rule of thumb, if it comes from a pet store, it's most likely total crap. Bite sized, nonsugared shredded wheat, the occasional cheerio, a pinch of old fashioned oats, dried rosehops, organic rosebuds, and/or lots of wood chews. There is a list under the FAQ's of safe woods you can use.

Figured, looks like the rats have some new treats! I knew of the non-frosted shredded wheat treats, and I saw the list, so thanks :)

It could be nerves. A change in environment can sometimes shake a chin up. Monitor her weight, watch her droppings. Mark the water bottle so you can see exactly how much she is (or isn't) drinking. I'm assuming it's all her stuff from the other owner?
Yes, it's all her stuff from the previous owner, I've had her a whole three days now. The first night she was here, I placed her under sheet in our dinner room so she couldn't see our cats or dog walking around, I do it with all new critters at night and while we're out. She's been pooing fine, I haven't noticed any wet spots...but I also haven't been checking. But it does look like she's drinking, I don't see a wet spot on the towel (she was brought to me on a towel, I assume this is bad, there are NO chew marks and it will be gotten rid of as soon as I buy wood chips, promise.) where the water bottle is, as if it were dripping, so she must be drinking it. She is normally hiding in her house (wooden) when I see her, but if I move it she jumps right up on her perch (also wooden). She's running around normally, we had her roaming the house today (under strict watch, I've had rabbits chew on wires before...I know better now) and she was running around just fine, except for when a cat or two was stalking her. She's shy, but very friendly. I don't know if she likes to be held, or if she's just use to it, because she'll stay in your arms as long as you hold her right. Also she is shedding, will she need brushing? Or is petting her to get the fur off just fine?

70 is fine.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Perfect, and thank you. This site is better than any I could've thought up. :)

Yes, pine is fine for chinchillas as long as it is kiln dried, which most is (if you ever aren't sure, ask). People also use Aspen.

Last edited:
Yes, pine is fine for chinchillas as long as it is kiln dried, which most is (if you ever aren't sure, ask). People also use Aspen.

I was hoping I was done buying that stuff...oh well...she's worth it :heart4:

You won't want to brush her, it will yank too much fur out, but you can buy special combs to use. In a pinch, a flea comb will work as well. Start with the wider end, then flip it to the thinner end. Be really careful to comb gently so you don't yank out all of her fur. If she's got tufts all over her fur, then it could be that she's priming. If there is fur sticking up in a lot of places, you can gently give a tug and pull it out that way as well.

As far as pine, no, it won't hurt them as long as it's KDP. I use Carefresh Ultra for my rats and KDP for my chins.

You won't want to brush her, it will yank too much fur out, but you can buy special combs to use. In a pinch, a flea comb will work as well. Start with the wider end, then flip it to the thinner end. Be really careful to comb gently so you don't yank out all of her fur. If she's got tufts all over her fur, then it could be that she's priming. If there is fur sticking up in a lot of places, you can gently give a tug and pull it out that way as well.

As far as pine, no, it won't hurt them as long as it's KDP. I use Carefresh Ultra for my rats and KDP for my chins.

Thats actually how I groom my rabbits, by pulling on the little fur tufts about to fall out. Okay, so no brushing for her and I'll see if I can find pine bedding for her today. Thank you so much!

I don't think any one else has mentioned anything yet, but I wanted to point out that I'm fairly certain that rabbits and chinchillas will need to be kept as far apart as possible. I'm trying to remember what I've previously read on the forum; I think it was something about rabbits carrying Pasteurella? I don't know all the details, but I wanted to at least bring it up to make sure you don't end up with a sick chin! I'm sure someone else can chime in with more details, etc. :)

I don't think any one else has mentioned anything yet, but I wanted to point out that I'm fairly certain that rabbits and chinchillas will need to be kept as far apart as possible. I'm trying to remember what I've previously read on the forum; I think it was something about rabbits carrying Pasteurella? I don't know all the details, but I wanted to at least bring it up to make sure you don't end up with a sick chin! I'm sure someone else can chime in with more details, etc. :)

Well that's impossible at the moment seeing as the only place cool enough is my basement. I have a trip to the vet planned for other animals, and will pester the doctor with this question, or look more into it. But thank you for bringing it up.

Also, tri-weekly dustings....do they need supervision when doing this? I tried taking her out of the cage and sitting her in the bathroom to do it, she was too shy to do it in front of me, Allison is a real lady you know. lol. So I put her back in her cage to she if she'd be more comfortable in there...well my nose is way way way way too sensitive to sit there and watch her. Well I can't even watch cause I sneeze so much, so I just left it in her cage for 20-30 minutes. I came back and there was the dust all over her shelves, and rolly marks in her litter box. But I still was sneezing non-stop. They can bathe themselves without me watching...right?

They can bathe themselves without me watching...right?

Yes, just leave the dust bath in her cage like you did. 15-20 is more than enough time for her to do the job. :thumbsup:

I couldn't see pine shavings in our local shop so I just put some of their hay (Timothy?) in their bed. Is that ok?

I was going to go and buy some fleece tomorrow as I've noticed a lot of people on here using it...but won't it get dirty quite quickly?

And

Hay is fine, but it smells really quickly and doesn't really absorb. It will do for a night though.

I use fleece for all my cages, pets and rescues. Most of my chins use a litter box for urine (just a pyrex dish with pine or aspen shavings in it) but some do urinate on the fleece itself. I change out the fleece pee'ers twice a week, and the ones that use a litter box once a week. I daily take the fleece out and shake the poo outside though. For me cost is everything and fleece has been much cheaper since I wash and reuse. On the day I wash I just shake out the liners and wash in warm water with a half cup of bleach. I then rinse twice to make sure all the bleach is removed. Bleach will only fade the liners if it is pored directly on it. I add it to the water and once it is full add the fleece. Other people use vinegar instead. Vinegar does get rid of the urine smell also, I'm just not a fan of the scent and I like to know that my liners are disinfected.

Just make sure you have two liners for each cage that way you always have a clean one on hand for when the other is in the wash.

Hay is fine, but it smells really quickly and doesn't really absorb. It will do for a night though.

I use fleece for all my cages, pets and rescues. Most of my chins use a litter box for urine (just a pyrex dish with pine or aspen shavings in it) but some do urinate on the fleece itself. I change out the fleece pee'ers twice a week, and the ones that use a litter box once a week. I daily take the fleece out and shake the poo outside though. For me cost is everything and fleece has been much cheaper since I wash and reuse. On the day I wash I just shake out the liners and wash in warm water with a half cup of bleach. I then rinse twice to make sure all the bleach is removed. Bleach will only fade the liners if it is pored directly on it. I add it to the water and once it is full add the fleece. Other people use vinegar instead. Vinegar does get rid of the urine smell also, I'm just not a fan of the scent and I like to know that my liners are disinfected.

Just make sure you have two liners for each cage that way you always have a clean one on hand for when the other is in the wash.

Thanks! :)

Yes, just leave the dust bath in her cage like you did. 15-20 is more than enough time for her to do the job. :thumbsup:

I actually forgot I had stuck in in there, which is why it was in there so long >.>

SHE. IS. NOT. EATING. OR. DRINKING!!!
I have a syringe from kittens I'm boiling right now. I'm going to have to force some water and electrolytes in her, but how much is too much?

Oh but she is peeing and pooping. I can't seem to find where this oder is coming from, but since I've had rabbit for 7 years now, I know what their urine smells like...so it must be Allison. I picked her towel up to wash it, and it did have a bit of urine on it. I put the little yogurt treats on her shelf, I know they are bad for her, but I am determined to find out if she is eating anything at all. Well after she dusted yesterday she covered her shelf in it. I had a busy day yesterday and never got around to cleaning it off, so the yogurt pieces were also covered in it. when I had checked on them before bed (I had placed 4-5 pieces in her cage, more than she needed) but I noticed there was only two in there. and today...I can't find any. So I assume she ate them. But her water bottle has barely been touched...if at all. My rats are half her size and drinking more than her.
I've been giving her 2 tbs of her food each day, sticking a few treats in there to bribe her, and have been picking the sunflower seeds out of her food.

I need to go search for a place to buy her food thats cheaper than petco -.- I have now 6 rodents and they all eat alfalfa and timothy hay...it's getting pricey.

There are lots of websites you can go to to find cheaper supplies, you can find them here on the forum. :)

AZChins has a good bit of stuff on her site and shipping is cost effective as well. Another good site is qualitymutationchinchillas.com, and she has a starter kit with about a months worth of supplies in it. I deal with both of these for all my chin needs and have never been disappointed. There is also a list in the FAQ's with a complete list of chin supply stores!

Alright, lol! 70 is a good temp-I wouldn't go higher than 71! Humidity is bad too, though! Make sure you are giving lots of Timothy Hay! This is a very important part of their diet! It's a must! For treats, always in moderation likee 1 a night at the most, rosehips are good, 1 plain cheerio a night, a little alfalfa occassionaly, a raison once in awhile, a sunfflower seed once or twice a month.

Yes, get rid of the plastic as soon as possible. And ramps aren't necassary for chins-they can jump a few feet in the air fromm a sitting position. Ramps just get in the way, can be a danger if fallen on, and can occassionaly make a lazy chin.

Wood chews are great but add a pumice one or 5 in there as well. My chin LOVES his pumice ledge (lava ledge).

You didn't mention dust bath. You can get bulk on ebay-blue sparkle is what I use and its great. I give him it once every 3 days.

No, I wouldn't use newspaper. You can buy bulk shavings, but make sure they're kiln-dried-aspen or pine are great-never cedar shavings or any wood at all! If they aren't kiln-dried they can cause health problems and cedar always causes health problems!

Chew proof glass bottles still should not drip-it can be stopped, many are vacuum ones. And they should eat more hay than food anyway. Pine shelving is fine-you can find kiln-dried some places which is even better-again, no cedar! Type in "Woods bad for chinchillas' into google and I know I found a list that way when I was building a cage for mine! If I can find it, I'll post it:)

This thread is from April and the OP hasn't been on since beginning of May. I'd venture to say your advice is moot.

Also, sunflower seeds are not good treats at ALL, no matter how sparingly given and you'll find differing opinions on the raisins.

Back