help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how bad the wound is but I would go to the vet's right now. It's possible your chin can go into shock as well and that is very bad.

I agree, you should get to the vet. I would worry about the wound closing up over the nostrils and the chin not being able to breathe. I seem to remember another member's chin getting attacked on the nose and she had issues with scabbing over the nostrils.

That doesn't really look like the nose, it's more of just above the mouth. I would just personally clean it and watch for redness and signs of swelling and infection. I don't think it really warrants a vet.

This was already pretty much covered in chat. I answered via text through Laurie.

I also would not bother with a vet, upon seeing the picture. It's a cut and it will either heal or the skin will slough off. They aren't going to stitch it. They might clip it off, but that's about it. Keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get infected, watch for normal chin behavior.

Rains just clean it with a qtip and some warm water. Keep an eye on it for infection. If anything changes in her such as not eating, drinking or pooping or she becomes lethargic and listless then a trip to the vet is a must.

Also make sure she has not lost any top teeth from this accident. If she has then the bottom will have to be filed until the top grows back in.

Do you have any updates this morning? I'm sorry to see you are rehoming the aggressive female :(. Any chance you could keep them separate?

update

well its been a sleepless night monitoring Panda...she slept pretty much all night..I have an appointment at 2:30 CMT so I will let you all know how things go..She has a large flap of skin hanging and rubbing it on the bars of the carrier or her cage I am afraid it is going to make it worse..

I checked her teeth they are all still intact..

Thanks everyone for your support and advice..

:hair:

update after vet visit

So i took Panda to the vet and he used medical glue and put her lip back together...it the bit was any higher it would have been very bad..She is doing well..And looks normal again..Just have to monitor the wound...it it opens back up then he will have to trim down the dead tissue and skin...So lets hope for the best and the glue holds up till the healing begins...

re: rehoming my female...
I am rehoming her due to the fact that she is a threat to my herd...She almost killed her mate Koala (starved him)and kept beating him up...Then this I do not want to own an agressive Chin...Someone told said to me "Maybe she just doesnt like it where she lives and doesnt like you(me)"LOL..and after the attack on Panda I had made the final decision to rehome her...

I'm new with chins, so I can't really be of help, but good luck, I hope she heals fast. You may already know this, but there is some great info in the FAQs master list, which is listed as a sub-forum under "chin new owners". There's a lot about first aid, how-tos, chin behavior, and pretty much everything to do with chins. I thought it was really helpful in helping me prepare a first aid kit, just in case. :)

I had the same occur, where one bit the others nose open.
I ended up at Banfield vets (inside petsmart)-weekend and couldn't find a vet that would look at chins within the area. They ended up keeping him over night and surgically sutured it back together..sent him home the next day with pain meds and I want to say it ended up costing about $60 if I remember right.

And believe you me, I was scared to have it done hearing how delicate chins were and knowing they didn't have central a/c.
Good Luck with yours, hope she's doing ok with the glue job!

Latest posts

Back