Help with Colors of kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

YoboChin

Hi all, my chins gave birth faster than expected and though I've had chins off an on for a long time, I was unable to determine the color of my new kits.
To be honest, this is the first Beige chins I've ever had so I am unsure of the color. Most of the shots seem to point at them being a dark beige, but they actually look like AfroViolets...except that their bellies are the same color as the rest of the body. If you look at the one pic of the mother eating and the kit sticking it's head out of the dish, you can see how dark they are. Also, one of them has white rings around his/her eyes...kinda cool..hope that this stays with him/her as they grow..

The moter was a Homo Beige and the father is a SUPER dark Ebony. Here are the pics and any advice would be thankful.

Attachments

• P1000746.jpg
    P1000746.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P1000747.jpg
    P1000747.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000749.jpg
    P1000749.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000751.jpg
    P1000751.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000780.jpg
    P1000780.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 83
There is no way they could be a violet of any kind, since the parents don't carry the violet gene.

I think that a general understanding of colors and what you can get from each pairing is essential to breeding. The silver falls chinchilla color calculator is a good tool for learning.

Congrats! They are adorable. Sorry I can't tell you the colors because I don't know either.

I agree, at first glance they look like violet-wraps, but knowing their parents, unless they're both violet carriers, it's impossible!
They change so much in the first 6 weeks, you'll almost have to take pictures and compare, to see their changes.
They're beautiful - good luck with them!

Thank you all for the info. The mother supposedly was a violet carrier and yes, I've looked at the calculator before, however, I've never seen a tan before. The kits were way darker than the mother or any other beige I've ever seen so I was confused, but you've all cleared it up for me. Oh yeah, I was unable to post the pic of the mother and kit with the food bowl so I'll attach it now.

heres the pic

Heres the pic of the mother eating and the kit in the food dish.

Attachments

• eating.jpg
    eating.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 49
Tans. Oh, I love tans.

They are darker than mom because dad is so dark. I have a pair that produced tans of those shades - a hetero beige male and an extra dark ebony female. None of the babies were any where near as light as their father. I kept one of their kits because I like the shade he turned out.

Heres the pic of the mother eating and the kit in the food dish.

I am by no means a breeder, but I was wondering if that is really a baby safe cage? It looks like the wire flooring spacings are quite large and little kit feet could possibly get stuck?

I am by no means a breeder, but I was wondering if that is really a baby safe cage? It looks like the wire flooring spacings are quite large and little kit feet could possibly get stuck?

hmm that was what crossed my mind too....:hmm:

I'm not a breeder, in fact I had my chins separated for about 2 years before putting them together because my wife wanted some babies for our kids to see. In fact, I am going to get him neutered after this to ensure that we don't have any more kits. I had tiles over the other half of the cage as well as the wooden houses, but the mother for some reason chooses to sit either in the little houses or on the cage floor. She went so far as to pull all the hay out of the hay holder and use that as a floor before going back into the house. I guess she just likes the wire floor better than the hard ground. Before I used to breed a bit and all my chins were in wire floor cages and I never ever had a problem with them getting hurt. If anything, I would worry more if the space between the flooring was too small, that would cause a foot to get caught more than anything. I just prefer the wire floor for cleansiness purposes. Not making debate, just stating my preference.

Latest posts

Back