Help Me Make A Decision?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
So I'm considering adopting a male/female pair off craigslist(they will be separated immediately). The woman told me the female is a homo ebony, and she is just absolutely gorgeous! And she also told me the male is a light ebony, which I'm a bit unsure on? I'm terrible with colors. But shes only asking $125 for the pair. They will also come with a small temp cage, bowls, litter boxes, and a few toys. So are the colors correct, and is this a good deal? I'm pretty much sold and in love with these guys already! Just wanted a few opinions from some others?

Female is up top, male is on the bottom.

Attachments

• DSC00988.jpg
    DSC00988.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 83
Is $125 a good deal? Depends. It'd be good to get them into a home that won't breed them. But they also could be sick or have some problem that will make a vet appointment necessary, adding to their cost. It's the chance you take with taking chins in from an unknown place.

Is $125 a good deal? Depends. It'd be good to get them into a home that won't breed them. But they also could be sick or have some problem that will make a vet appointment necessary, adding to their cost. It's the chance you take with taking chins in from an unknown place.

Well from what the woman has told me, she has multiple chins, and is looking to downsize. Of course you cant believe everything someone tells you.

They look small to me, hope the female is big enough to have kits and there is a large vet fund avaliable if there is birthing complications. Also baby safe cage.

They look small to me, hope the female is big enough to have kits and there is a large vet fund avaliable if there is birthing complications. Also baby safe cage.

Well the woman I'm getting her from says shes had two births before, 2 kits each time, with zero complications. But I do have an exotic animal vet on handy in case of an emergency.

And I've still gotten no response on their colors??? :cry3:

The one on the top is def. an extra dark ebony. The one on the bottom does look like a lighter phase animal. Most likely ebony looking at she shading, but unless you see the belly you won't know 100%. The way the shading looks, I'm betting the belly is colored making the animal an ebony.

Price is great, provided they are healthy. Even if the female is "smaller" if her pelvis is large enough she should be fine. However keep in mind even with 2 successful delieveries anything can happen.

I agree top one an ebony, the bottom one is likely an ebony as well. and it doesn't matter how many sucessful litters any animal has had each litter has its own separate risks involved so be prepared

Yeah, I currently have a chin I rescued off craigslists who was being bred back to back to back, etc. She gave birth to a black velvet female kit, the day before thanksgiving. I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into with the pregnancy and the kit, but I had no choice bu to learn, AND FAST! But momma and baby are both happy and healthy and mama will never be forced to breed again! :D

But the woman said she thinks shes too close to giving birth, so shes gonna hold onto them for 2 weeks and let me know from there.

She's gonna hold on to them for 2 weeks?

Is she gonna remove the male from the cage? Is she gonna raise the price on you after momma delivers or is she planning on taking the babies from momma?

She really didn't say. She said her nipples are beginning to show and that she doesn't 'want any added stress' for her, but I honestly believe she just wants the babies as a way to make a profit. After we agreed that I would pick her up tonight, she said she looked 'too pregnant'. So she said shes gonna wait 2 weeks, and if the babies aren't born, she'll consider letting her go then. And if they are, I have to wait 8 weeks from the day they're born. So I'm assuming I wont be getting the kits, and the male will remain in the cage?

From what shes told me she has 14 chins(not including babies), and they're all in mating pairs. Sh said she got her first chin as a pet, and then went out and got 'one of almost every color' and has been breeding them for a few months. I honestly don't know about this woman, but I just want to get those chins out of there ASAP!!!

With that kind of attitude breeding, you are only fueling the fire by paying money for those chins. She will just make more so you are not really rescuing them, you are buying them and frankly you could do better buying from reputable breeders here.

With that kind of attitude breeding, you are only fueling the fire by paying money for those chins. She will just make more so you are not really rescuing them, you are buying them and frankly you could do better buying from reputable breeders here.

Yup, I agree totally. While it would be nice to 'save them all', you are really just giving her more funds to buy more chins to put into the same situation these guys are in.

Back