Hello Everyone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo

I thought I'd introduce myself. Name's Christine. I'm a first time Chin owner of a rescued little girl named Wally Elephant. Her name was carefully chosen and suits her perfectly. She's beige with freckles on her ears and the tip of her nose with red demon eyes. Wally's age is unknown. Her owner before me only had her for a few months before realizing she could not care for her. That owner had gotten Wally from a yard sale for $20.00, cage included, so who knows how this Chin was treated or how long they had her.

Despite Wally's tough-ish beginnings she is the sweetest little girl. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy which means that I am fully dependent on using an electric wheelchair and have weakness in my hands and arms. I was nervous about getting a rescue, especially Wally, because I didn't know how a chinchilla would react to the chair and weird hands. I lucked out because Wally doesn't mind either at all.

Since I am a first time chin owner I know I'll have tons of questions and need tips from others. I know all the basics. I can be quizzed on most anything but it's little things that I have a habit of worrying about.

Like the white dry spots on the bottom of her feet and the mats in her fur (from the other owner) that she won't allow me to pull out and how her dust will stick to the corner of her eye and I'm afraid she'll go BLIND!

Things like that, which is why I'm here. My goal is for her to have the best possible life she can have.

Hi Christine! Welcome! It sounds like whatever life Wally Elephant had before you got her will soon be forgotten as she is in wonderful hands now. Like any mother, you worry about your baby and want to make sure she is healthy and happy. I'm sure you will do fine and W.E. will be thoroughly spoiled. It sounds like pics are in store, tho! We can never see enough :)

Welcome Christine! I hope to see pics of your beautiful Wally Elephant! Don't let those red demon eyes fool you! I have the sweetest girlie, Solange, with nice red, red eyes!

:welcome: to CnH!

The mats will not be pulled out, a chinchilla's fur is much too thick for that. You have to carefully use the "snip and tug" method for that. Get a pair of small, sharp shears and convince your chin to be still. Try to pull the mat up as far as you can, away from skin, so you don't hurt Wally Elephant, and just snipsnipsnip and tug it off. It's a couple minutes of mild pain for the chin, but she'll feel a thousand times better afterwards. :)

Welcome! Wally is very cute! You will find the answers to most of your questions by reading on here and any that you don't find feel free to ask!

:wave: hello & a warm welcome to CnH.

I love Wally's name - she is a beautiful big girl & looks quite a home in those videos.

I just realized I never posted a photo of Ms. Wally Elephant.

4594777647_6fbd7e9d95.jpg

I have a handful more here as well: Wally!

welcome!! thanks for posting photos & videos - little wally is adorable! i'm glad my kiddos aren't the only ones who manage to coat the whole house in dust with their enthusiasm for bathing.

Latest posts

Back