Hello all, new from Ohio

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrosler04

Hello everyone! I am Jess.

I had a pair chins a few years ago, but due to a few issues, had to rehome them...

I do animal rescue (all types, specialize in giant breed dogs, mostly great danes, but we have all sizes/breeds)

My personal pet family is rather large, consisting of : 3 great danes (mystery & Rocky) & a papillon named Jack, I also have a horse (Gemini), a cat (siamese named Karma), a scarlet macaw (shadow) and a red-eared slider turtle (who doesn't have a name, but has lived here for 6 years!) (and now 3 chinchillas)

We live on a decent sized farm, and also have chickens & a turkey (who was dumped at the dog shelter)

Almost ALL of my animals are rescues...
anyways, on to the chinnies

I have been considering for some time now adopting a pair of chinchillas, a friday, I was contacted by someone who wanted to surrender a trio of chinchillas to our rescue! I said yes, and decided that I would get to know them before deciding whether or not they would become permanent additions.

I was told they are "black" chinchillas, they don't look ebony to me (they are light) but are a bit dark for the standard grey.

They are 2 females & a male (who were all housed together, meaning that the 2 girls are more than likely pregnant!)
They are: Cinnamon- approx. 4 yrs old, Luna- Approx 1 year old, and Charlie, approx 8 months old.

Cinnamon & charlie beat Luna up pretty badly & the family had seperated her (luna) out by herself. These guys were last minute, and i quickly grabbed out 2 cages & set up. Currently Cinn & Charlie are together, and Luna is in a nice big cage alone. I plan to seperate charlie tomorrow, when I get a chance to dig the other cage out of storage! (I had to work this weekend)

I brought them in & gave them a few hours to sette in & get used to things, then went in to talk to them, Luna barked at me a little, but they all 3 allowed me to pick them up with little to no fuss!

i was able to sit them on my bed & take photos while they just checked things out! :) they are very patient!!

Anyways, I will post photos later, and I look forward to learning about these guys... It has been quite awhile, and I find I am rusty on a lot of chinny stuff! lol Any advice/pointers are greatly appreciated! :)

Congrats on the new additions! :) Pictures are always welcomed here...

The best thing to do is just what you are doing, separate them and let them settle in. Good luck and feel free to ask lots of questions!

Welcome! I am a new Ohioan. Just moved to Cinci around 6 months ago. Would love to see pics of your new babies once they settle in!!

I can do photos, had actually meant to post them on my first post, but it was very long! lol

First is Luna, you can see the holes in her ears...poor girl, but she is so sweet. Cinnamon tore her fur up pretty badly too. I am hoping some time will get her looking better!

DSC04732.jpg

DSC04742.jpg

Next is Charlie

DSC04747.jpg

and next is Luna
DSC04752.jpg

DSC04753.jpg

Oops, guess I hit the wrong button.
This is the pic of Luna
DSC04743.jpg

the dog is my dad's great dane Montana Sky! sorry

Welcome. :)

Those are two black velvets. Or is one of them the third chin as well? If so, they are all black velvets.

Well, except for the dane. Definitely not a black velvet. :)

Yup, they are all Black Velvets! Can't wait to see how they come around with good dust and care! Good luck on baby watch.

:wave: Welcome to CnH

Congrats on your new additions to the family. I look forward to hearing more about your lovely trio as they settle. :)

LOL, yup, the third oen was Cinnamon, not Luna.. i totally botched that!! Can we say blonde moments? :neener:

So they are black velvets..cool, I have only seen the ebony, learn something new every day :)

I have LOTS of questions so be prepared! LOL;)

Now where Luna was beaten up badly..will her fur grow back in normally?

is there a certain type of dust & bedding & food that I should/should not use?? They came with a VERY SMALL amount of dust, and a bag of carefresh bedding (which did basically 1 cage.... I am using decent sized cages! )

They have pellets, but there are colored bits in them..which I am guessing is the same rule I use for guinea pigs & rabbits...that's junk food & not needed? just plain pellets?

They also came with a bag of timothy Hay,...should the females be getting Alfalfa because they are pregnant? (This is what we do with guinea pigs..which were my first "rodent" passion!! )

Welcome. :)

Those are two black velvets. Or is one of them the third chin as well? If so, they are all black velvets.

Well, except for the dane. Definitely not a black velvet. :)

yup, the last pic is the big girl Cinnamon, I mis-typed! LOL

The dane, that's one I DO know the color of! LOL A mis-marked Mantle Merle!;)

Welcome, and congrats on the additions. It's good to know that they have a home willing to learn the right way to care for them.

Now where Luna was beaten up badly..will her fur grow back in normally?

is there a certain type of dust & bedding & food that I should/should not use?? They came with a VERY SMALL amount of dust, and a bag of carefresh bedding (which did basically 1 cage.... I am using decent sized cages! )

They have pellets, but there are colored bits in them..which I am guessing is the same rule I use for guinea pigs & rabbits...that's junk food & not needed? just plain pellets?

They also came with a bag of timothy Hay,...should the females be getting Alfalfa because they are pregnant? (This is what we do with guinea pigs..which were my first "rodent" passion!! )

Welcome Jess! I am a pretty new owner also, but I can partially answer some questions... There is a list of recommended foods under nutrition FAQ. Mazuri, Oxbow, Tradition, and PANR are the names I see most frequently. You are correct in thinking that plain pellets are best! It seems like your question about dust was answered in another thread. Carefresh bedding is okay as long as you don't notice the chins eating it. Kiln-dried pine or aspen shavings are also recommended. I'm not sure about supplementing your possibly pregnant chins with alfalfa since I'm just a pet owner, but I think I have read that before on here.

Good luck with your new additions. I'll be excited to see some "after" shots when the chins are through with their makeovers! ;)

Thanks for the answers.
I have noticed an improvement in luna in just a week. She is a doll, definately my fave, i open her door, and she jumps out in my arms. She loves to be held.

Latest posts

Back