Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

Where do yall buy your hay? Like at petsmart or online? And what brand do your chins like

if you can find some nice hay at a feed store or a local supplier it would be a lot cheaper..
I have fed the timothy hay from Feldmens... its from Stanlee Hay Co. its a small HIGHLY compressed bale for like $10 or $15 .. i dont remember... i also didnt look at how many animals you had, but online would probably be your best bet. in smaller amounts.. people feed APD or gerr.. i cant remember the other kind right now... im sure someone will fill you in better then me
AHH OXBOW ^^^^^

Last edited:
I have a friend who buys timothy on a yearly basis from an Amish family near us. This year she just gave me a bale since it only cost her $5.00. (Seriously, buying local is better when you can. That one bale will feed my two boys until the next second or third cut comes in, and I'll probably pitch what's left for a new one come fall.)

I buy Oxbow Hay from petsmart. I buy the larger 40 oz. bag of Timothy; but, i buy the-Orchard, & Botanical in the smaller sizes. I buy the larger size as, it's seems to be a bit greener & fresher (they love it) andit's cheaper by quantity. They don't sell the oat & i have bought it from Rabbit stop.com. They do like the oat too. Give unlimited timothy and small handful (rotating) of others each day as treat. Mine eat hay like crazy!! Oh, i almost forgot, i also give (oxbow)timothy cubes couple x week--i bought them at Lonestar chinchillas.com or can get at chinchillas.com.

I only have one chin so I buy a bag of oxbow from Petsmart, but if I had a lot of chins, it would be cheaper to buy a bale from the local feed store.

Oxbow from petsmart

I buy oxbow from petsmart. The other brands make me sneeze but the oxbow actually smells good to me. I think the cheaper brands let other things like weeds grow in their fields.

American Pet Diner (APD) Timothy Gold Hay. The shipping is quite pricey, but Sesame won't touch any of the Oxbow Hay @_@. I also bought a small bag of the Orchard Grass Hay to mix in and she loves it!

not to thread jack, but does the alfalfa hay for horses different from oxbow hay, or timothy hay?
one of my friend has horses, and she told us that it would be really cheap if we want from them.. just don't know if there's anything i should be careful about...

(Since no one else answered) Timothy hay is a different type of grass than alfalfa. Since most of the pellets for chins (and rabbits and guinea pigs etc.) are made from alfalfa hay, you need to give chins timothy hay to add nutrients and fiber that the alfalfa is lower in. So getting alfalfa hay through your friend could save you some money, if you can find a good timothy-based pellet to feed your chins. Off the top of my head, though, I can't think of a pellet that is timothy based. Some people even feed an all hay diet and have success, so that's an option to look into as well.

When we talk about "Oxbow" hay, we're using a brand name, like "Tradition" or "Mazuri" pellets. It's a pet supplies company that offers some of the best (imo) hays available in chain stores like PetsMart. Oxbow sells a lot of different kinds of hay, including timothy, orchard grass, and clover, but chins need access to the nutrients in alfalfa and timothy grass hays to stay healthy.

Thanks for the info.

i gave them some of this hay, and our chins seems to like it better than their usual oxbow timothy hay for some reason.

I guess i just going to give them as a snack...

again, thank you.

Tact

Back