Hay Days

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Azure Chinchillas

I guess we all have one or two chinnies that prefer pellets over hay? I know I do.

We all know the importance of fibre in a chinchillas diet too.

Some time back - on another forum - there was a discussion around "hay days".

A "hay day" being a day - once a week or once a fortnight - when the chin is not fed any pellets - but given unlimited hay only. The idea being that when pellets are withheld (for just 24 hours) - the chin will eat the hay instead.

Do you think that this idea holds any merit?

Does anyone already do this?

It doesn't sound like a bad idea, and going along the lines of Angie's responses in the Chin Vet Q&A section, I imagine it might even be beneficial. Both of our boys are pellet lovers, so we may actually consider doing this.

I do not do this as I feed both hay and pellets simultaneously. Granted, some of my chins are pellet junkies and don't eat as much hay, they all do consume all of their hay. I don't think having a hay day could cause any problems though and it could encourage hay consumption in those pellet lovers.

Another trick I've used to increase a pellet junkie's interest in hay is offering a blend of hays for variety as well as Oxbow's botanical hays. I did this for a dental chin of mine, Rayna, and it has gotten her to eat much more hay and keep those molars worn down - I think the variety of scents and flavors entices her.

I did a half hay day today. It only lasted half the day because my boys were giving me the most awful looks EVER. Buttons would have both hands on his bowl, look into it, look at me, look into the bowl, look at me....I felt HORRIBLE. Needless to say, both consumed a lot more hay than normal. Those sad eyes just killed me though.

Latest posts

Back