Have you ever seen?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiva

Kathiva La Diva
Hi

Have you ever seen a female with her vagina very open? here I have a girl that is supper chubby, she is about 930 grams, she is currently caged with a male, she is so chubby that I don't know if she is pregnant, but her vagina now is very open, and you can even see inside her little hole, and I am wondering, oh, if she has babies in there, would they be hanging out of her or something, I just wonder if this can happen because she is too chubby, and you know, all of her rolls hang all over the place, and I wonder if this is normal for a chubby chin or if I should be concerned, she is doing good, everything normal, except for I have never seen something like this before.

thanks

You should be able to feel kits, even on an overweight female when they are very close to giving birth. Her being open like that could mean she's close to giving birth or just that she's in heat. An open female is not abnormal. An open female with whitish discharge and an odor is abnormal.

Her tummy feels a little hard, but I haven't felt kicks yet, so it's hard to say how far ahead she is, she doesn't have any smell or discharge, she is just plain open down there, and clean too, I was just wondering why it was so big like that.

She's probably just in heat. If her behavior is normal and she's eating and there's no nastiness coming out, then it's probably heat. Sometimes they really do get to be very open during heat.

Of course, it is possible for a female to have problems with delivery without any part of a kit sticking out. If I saw that with a larger female that I suspected of being pregnant, I would probably be keeping a very close eye on her behavior to make sure that she wasn't having any problems. When a female has the unborn babies die it is very difficult for the mom to delivery them sometimes. It isn't uncommon for a female to retain the babies even after she has gone into labor. If she looks very strange to you and her behavior is off, you may want to take her in for a quick xray to see what's going on.

She is acting very normal, still eating, and everything, but for sure will keep an eye on her for any changes, I was just worried that she would sort of have a kit hanging out of her from all the jumps that she does on her cage, like almost falling out of her, but thanks for letting me know, she might just be in heat like you said, she is still very sweet and normal, she doesn't seem cranky at all.

As with humans, it is the act of the contractions that help push a baby out. They won't just fall out.

:)

Babies don't fall out. The water has to break and there's quite a bit of contractions before a baby appears. It takes effort to get the baby out.

Oh, no, I thought so, but is just so big, that it scares me like that, I'll keep you posted if anything changes, thanks for your help

The cervix is what keeps babies in-not the vagina. Once an animal comes close to delivery she will lose the mucous plug and her cervix will start to dilate.

If she is eating/drinking/acting normal and there is no foul odor or discharge then I am sure she is fine. Just keep an eye on her and try not to stress her too much.

Jessica

I checked her today, and her vagina is still open, and you can see that inside she has her placenta bag, I believe it is, because it is gray in color and shiny, she is still eating and drinking normal though.

I would take her to the vet you should not be able to see her placenta bag? I have never seen that before, a trip to the vets for xrays is inorder now....not days or weeks now. You shouldn't see anything hanging down at all

It sounds almost like a baby is caught in there? Maybe? That is so so so serious...even if it was just maybe three or four hours there, it would be serious...but days and days makes it even worse!

This chin should have been to the vet by now for this. If this is a caught baby or something else or maybe even a uterine/vaginal prolapse, this chin is going to require veterinary care. She may end up needing to be spayed if there are dead kits still inside. Infection when there is a stuck baby, dead babies, prolapse, etc sets in extremely fast.

I really hope she's alright...PLEASE get her to the vet right away.

Oh wow, sorry I just saw that, and I didn't even think that it could be something super serious, I thought she would end up closing, but there is nothing hanging outside of her vagina, I meant that her vagina is open that you see that thing inside, which I don't know what it is, I will take a picture of her tonight, unless she closed already, and will show you, but I am scheduling an appointment today, so I have it reserved for her, and if I don't need to go, then I can cancel it, but at least I will have the appointment to bring her.
Will keep you guys posted

Hi

Oh, forgot to say, thanks for all of this advise, I would have not known exactly what this could have been if it wasn't for your answers, so I am calling the vet now.

It sounds almost like a baby is caught in there? Maybe? That is so so so serious...even if it was just maybe three or four hours there, it would be serious...but days and days makes it even worse!

This chin should have been to the vet by now for this. If this is a caught baby or something else or maybe even a uterine/vaginal prolapse, this chin is going to require veterinary care. She may end up needing to be spayed if there are dead kits still inside. Infection when there is a stuck baby, dead babies, prolapse, etc sets in extremely fast.

I really hope she's alright...PLEASE get her to the vet right away.

Hi

Just wondering, how could she have a baby stuck in her vagina when she hasn't even gone into labour? just wondering if there is a change that she has an underdeveloped baby that could be stuck the same way like one that was ready to be born.

If she is THAT open and has been for days and you see something RIGHT there, she has either been in labor or she has something that is not in the place that it should be. You can post a picture, but from the description you have given you have a mother chin that has a stuck kit or something else wrong with her.

I don't even understand your question. If she has a kit visible, she was in labor or she's in extreme distress. I can ask you, How do you know that she has NOT been in labor?

I don't think she's been in labour at all, I haven't seen her acting like she is, no discomfort, no contractions or movements of contractions, no baby kicks, she is still jumping around her cage like nothing has happened, no blood anywhere on her cage, neither her vagina, I am not saying that I am sure she hasn't, but there is still a possibility like you said.

But there is no kit visible, like a full sized kit, I just see inside something gray and shiny, that it looks like it could be a placenta bag or something, but you cannot see anything else besides that, like a body part or something

I think I will better put a picture, so I can show you guys better what I mean

Back