Have you ever seen?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grey and shiny - go to the vet. At this point it's probably a stuck kit, but who cares what it is. GO TO THE VET. It's been like this for too long to expect a good outcome without vet care. The kit(s) are probably dead and have been dead for several days. A gestational sac being visible means that the chin's cervix has opened and you have a baby sticking out of it.

PLEASE call the vet, don't take pictures...I wasn't asking for pictures, I was just saying that your description told us that you've got some problems that are going to require veterinary care. It's great that the chin is still alive and seems to not be dying yet...once an infection gets going in her uterus she will have very little time to live. You should have posted pictures as soon as you saw it if you were confused...not days later.

I'm going to be even more blunt. I don't care if you do not think that this chin has been in labor. She needed help days ago. This is not something that will go away on it's own. It's very likely that in a day or two you will find her dead...or find her barely able to move.

I'm not sure what is going on to be 100% certain...but if she has dead kits in there, they're going to basically start rotting if they already haven't.

Have I mentioned this? GO TO THE VET?

Last edited:
I phoned the vet, and they said they would call me back for an appointment, I told them that I need an appointment as soon as possible, so crossing my fingers that I can go soon,

Good news, the vet just phoned me and I can bring my chin in my lunch hour, so I am going to bring her for 12 right now, will keep you guys posted, I am super happy that I was able to get my appointment right away:)

Last edited:
If you are going to continue to breed you need to have a EMERGENCY VET avaliable at all times. Chins cannot be told to cross their legs and wait for a appointment, they need to go NOW.

If you are going to continue to breed you need to have a EMERGENCY VET avaliable at all times. Chins cannot be told to cross their legs and wait for a appointment, they need to go NOW.

Did you not see that I said that "I am going right now to see the vet", and my vet does take emergency appointments.

I just came back from my appointment, and the vet found her ok, she didn't find any discharge from her vagina, she also took some x-rays, to tell me that there was no babies, so she must to have been in heat then, I feel more relieved now to know that there is no babies, anyways, she is sending my x-ray through e-mail, so I can post it later on if you guys want to see.

Did you not see that I said that "I am going right now to see the vet", and my vet does take emergency appointments.

If your vet took emergency appointments why did they have to call you back? Your vet must me very fast with the exam, x-rays and the such to be back so soon.

What was the shiny grey thing that appeared to be a gestational sac? Normal chins in heat do not have anything that looks like that. They also are not in heat for a week or more.

Did the vet say that any of that appeared to be normal? Did the vet say that it was alright for her to be wide open for a week or more? This all is very strange...are you sure you went to a vet that sees chinchillas and has a clue? Everything you described before is weird and now that the vet says that everything is fine it's even weirder.

Why are you glad there are no babies? You are breeding her and that is the point, to make more kits right?

Why are you glad there are no babies? You are breeding her and that is the point, to make more kits right?

Oh, I meant that I was glad that there was no babies, that could possibly be dead or something, that's why, I have some chins that take a long time to breed, and some don't, but I don't mind they take so long, because they are my pets too

If your vet took emergency appointments why did they have to call you back? Your vet must me very fast with the exam, x-rays and the such to be back so soon.

Because she had to ask the vet for her to see me, that's why, she called me back like a minute later

I went there at 12:15/12:30 or so and stayed there until 1:15 or so,

Here are the x-rays, if so so suspect that I did not go to the vet

Chinchillas_002.jpg

Do you think that it looks that there is something wrong? let me know please

Kathy, Did the vet explain what the grey thing you were seeing was? I just read this thread for the first time, and am curious as I am always trying to learn more about this side of the forum. I don't know much about chin x-rays but I enjoyed seeing it anyway, I'm always fascinated with x-rays.

Hi

She couldn't tell me what it was exactly, but she said it was not an infection for sure, her vagina is clean, and dry, and I noticed that when she put the cotton swab, that the white/grey thing was gone, and I could not see it anymore, so I guess she pushed it in, I asked her if there could be other kind of examination that could be done, and I am not so sure if she mentioned something like with an estethoscope, I will have to ask her again, and I asked for an ultrasound, and she said that they don't have that.
She said that she will ask with her colleagues to get some extra information, to be more sure about it,

Very weird. Well she certainly has given you quite a scare for nothing to be wrong. Hopefully all will be well now and maybe the vet will be able to give you more information later regarding the grey thing.

Smaller vet offices often don't have ultrasounds, or they charge a lot for them. At the hedgehog show in Milwaukee this weekend I learned from one of the veterinarians that was attending that just the ultrasound wand can cost $10,000.

Did the vet see the grey sac? Seems very strange that something so obvious to you was not to the vet.

Did the vet see the grey sac? Seems very strange that something so obvious to you was not to the vet.

I don't know if she saw it properly, because when I told her, she right away put the cotton swab and then the white/grey thing went back inside, and I couldn't show her properly anymore, and she said she understood what the thing looked like, but I am not so sure if she did actually see it.

But, do you mean in the x-ray or in the examination? just to make sure what are you referring to

It is very strange. The vet should have been able to tell you what it was for sure. I hope the chin closes up soon...it's just not normal for her to be open this long.

Yes, I know, I find it strange too, I sort of went there to not find anything wrong, so I wonder if I sort of went there for nothing or if it was worth trying anyways, I am going to show you a picture so you guys can see ok? in the case she might have missed something

Back