Has anyone ever used this cover for their fn?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be concerned about the material in addition to ventilation.Fleece
is really the safest fabric for chins and even it isn't safe if you have a chin that chews it.

I'm not sure why you would want to cover their cage? I am not a fan of covering their cages at all for the two reasons mentioned above, ventilation and chewability. If you're worried about light in their room, put up some shades or blinds instead. It's safer for them and you won't have to worry about them over heating.

I'm not worried about the light at all or trying to cover it. For some reason my chins love to spray my walls and the urine has started to stain them and I've tried every cleaning solution to get the urine off my walls...but nothing has worked. So I was just thinking maybe this would keep them from spraying my walls, but I'm not sure about the ventilation, so someone had suggested just use a big piece of fleece for the back so I might try that.

Try putting a piece of plexiglass up behind the cage with a clear tarp under it. Keeps it away from the chins and still keeps it off the walls.

I keep fleece on the back of my cages more for poop control than pee control, but it should work regardless.

Another cheap decorative solution is to use the big vinyl table cloths and attach them to the wall with poster strips/removable putty.:thumbsup:

to cover it. For some reason my chins love to spray my walls and the urine

How are your cages set up? I had a pillow on a ledge on the back wall of the cage. It was being used as a potty spot and I had urine streaks on the wall. Re-arranged the cage and the problem went away.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. i might try rearranging everything first and see if that helps if not then ill either try the fleece on the back or hanging something on the walkl is a great idea. thanks so much

I can say that I bought that cage cover. Bad choice. Don't do it for chins.

I bought it early on because I read somewhere that chins were nocturnal animals who prefer their privacy as well. I also thought that it would help keep some of their projectiles inside the cage since my girls love throwing things out of their cage and seeing me have to pick it up. I have to admit that I'm extremely lucky that my girls don't really spray (each only once in the 2 years that I've had them).

Anyhow, back to why it's a bad idea... the flaps on this cover are all done by plastic zippers and velcro. As I mentioned before, I bought this early on based on it saying "chin safe" but as you all can guess, they chewed through the zippers and velcro and overnight and I'm extremely lucky that neither of them got sick and now I'm better educated in what to look for. I'd say go with the others and make a simple cover out of fleece or other materials.

Back