Happy and medicated?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

That one bookworm girl...
As some of you might know from my other thread, today the vet prescribed a medication for my boys. The medication has to be administered twice daily and orally by syringe. I just gave them their first dose and, rightfully so, they are pretty pissed at me right now. Edmund just kacked at me as I passed the cage, and as much of a bastard as I claim he is, he has never done that before. Over the next week, how do I get them their medication without making them hate and distrust me?

I didn't see your other thread, what type of medicine is it?

My one girl, MuShu just got done with two weeks of meds three times a day by syringe. But both her medicines were good tasting, so once she knew that they tasted okay, she took them willingly from the syringe without me having to force her. I just put it by her mouth, and when she smelled/tasted it, she would lap it off of the end as I pushed it slowly out of the syringe.

So are you forcing it on them? Or does it not taste good to them?

It is Propulsid (to help digestion). I did have to force it on them today, though they might act differently tomorrow once they've calmed down from the vet visit. I wouldn't count on it though.

Okay, well if they don't like the taste of it, then you just have to force them. They'll get over it eventually. MuShu hates it when I have to check on her, since I grab her by her tail and hold her upside down. But what I've found is easiest to catch her is to take a hand towel or some cloth around that size and put it over her so that she can't see when I'm about to grab her. It really calms her down.

If you did that, then you could burrito them and give them the meds. Then just follow it up with a treat once you put them back in the cage.

Alli has the same great idea I would of suggested. However my Mr. Wilson was really ANGRY for the eye medication recently
He caught onto me by day two and would run away. I too did the burrito and afterwards gave him a treat. I've found a reward afterwards is a positive. Even if they won't take it from your hand. I just laid the treat down and used my softest voice to tell him he was brave. He proceeded to give me his nasty stink eye with thought bubbles over his precious little head telling me next time I might be the one getting the eye medication and not him. :neener:

Be afraid..............Be very afraid!! :hilarious:

We do everything that has been said, and while the chins hate us while on the meds they do get over it. Additionally sometimes we offer a dust bath as an alternative to treats because it calms them down as well.

I was just thinking that if you offered a positive before and after the medication, they may start to associate the medication with the postivie item. Just a though.

Rebecca they will get over it, or you will just learn to deal with it--you know well my exploits with Bobo the evil chin, she kacks at me if I even look at her, but once out of her cage, she's all loves and snuggles--if you're holder that is! LOL! Otherwise she's off and running!

However my Mr. Wilson was really ANGRY for the eye medication

Oh dear, I can't imagine having to give eye medication! I've taken to rubbing a bit of raisin on the tip of the syringe and just holding it in front of their faces. It has been working well enough.

Back