Hanging Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronda - I think you're missing my point - put them on top, with the edges down, to cover the offending corners, you could have them made with only 3 sides if it would interfere with a front door opening! Good Luck!
I personally am imagining something like cage runs - a large bank of cages, several wide and several high, that are all attached to each other. From what you're describing, it sounds like you're imagining individual, free-standing cages. If what I'm imagining is right, I can't see a way that your suggestion would work, even for the top row of cages. It wouldn't work for the lower rows at all. It would also be way more expensive, I would think... Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from this.

As for this girl... I'm glad she's doing well so far :) Chins are such odd critters... they seem to have a talent for getting themselves into strange situations to injure themselves in... -_-

I had a kit do this very same thing. He was born to a rescue mom and they were both in a Ferret Nation cage (that was modified baby safe since she came in with a male). Oreo was about 5 weeks old and caught his teeth on a sleeping ledge near where the bolt is. Sadly.. he didn't make it , my daughter found him hanging when she woke up in the morining. :( I have since went to much smaller shorter cages to keep this from happening again.

If this is happening to many, what are they trying to get at? Maybe a urine smell coming off a ledge or shelf?
When I clean my cages, outside, this spring, I think I'll concentrate on the areas in question with extra vinegar and a wire brush, just as a preventative!

Is it possible to lower the top shelf of the cage so that she can't reach the top at all?

Well, I just thought I would update everybody. This girl is still alive and almost full grown. She developed a chewing habit a couple months afterwards and has not stopped. To bad because she is a saphire carrier.

Ronda

It's just one of those things that happens. I've heard of larger breeders and ranchers having it happen, they have no solution to prevent it. It doesn't happen much, but when it does happen it sure is annoying. Taller cages help because the chins can't get their little noses up to the top. I have 18" high cages and I haven't had it happen. The last time it happened was about five years ago when I had the 12" high runs, a male got his tooth looped around the wire and was hanging there.

The best thing I think you can do is just pop in for a quick check now and then to be sure everyone is alright...which you probably already do! :) I usually have 300 animals or less...so I have about half the amount of looking in cages than you do. :)

I have one girl in a run section who lays on her back under the run wires and sticks one of her feet up into the run. It scares me every time I see it because it looks like she's got her foot hung, but it's just the way she sleeps. She jumps every time I open the door, so I know she's ok.

Yea, I have 12" cages and 15" cages and have had hangers in both heights.

I go around with a flashlight and check the chins and making sure I can see those on the bottom.

I too have girls that lay on their backs with their feet cramed up against the side or edge of the cage. The hay rack is inbetween the cages in a V and they do look like they have their feet through the wire. I always get the *gasp* feeling when I see them and then I wait to see if they are breathing. They sure can fool a person.

Ronda

Back