guinea pig acting funny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im sorry this isnt about a chinchilla but i didnt know where else to go.
i know a lot of you own guineapigs so i was really hoping you could help.
he will be turning 7 this year, so he might be dying of old age. this morning i saw that he didnt eat his grass i gave him yesterday afternoon so i was like maybe he ran out of water or something and was thirsty. so i checked his water bottle and it was COMPLETELY full. i touched the ball at the end and water came out. i gave him fresh food and decided to check on him after school. when i went to check on him he hadnt touched ANY of his food or water. i looked in his igloo and he was laying down but when i touched him he stood up and walked a little. i went in the house and got a little bowl with some cold water and put some ice cubes in it in case for some reason the water was only coming out for me and not him. he got up to investigate it and then plopped down right in front of it. i went in side to get some juicy veggies for him but he wouldnt even touch it. thats not like him at all. he usually would grab it out of your hand and run into the igloo to eat it. i dont know what to do and we cant afford to take him to the vet because my moms about to get a surgery and i just had one 2 weeks ago so we have like no money right now.

I have never owned cavies but I would imagine care is similar to a chin other than the fact that they need vitamin C and fresh greens. A quick search online tells me that their average lifespan is 4 - 8 years...

Is he pooping/peeing? If not, he really needs to see a vet. If he has an impaction or his gut is no longer moving, he will need motility drugs and will need to be handfed just like a chin would. Will he eat Critical Care if you give it to him? Critical Care is something all herbivore owners should always have on hand for emergencies. If you don't have any, you can grind up pellets and add water for a makeshift handfeeding formula. A tiny bit of pumpkin can also make it a little more enticing. The problem though, is if he has a blockage of any kind, it will not help to handfeed him because the food will have nowhere to go. He is likely dehydrated as well and probably needs subcu fluids.

First, this is a chinchilla and hedgehog forum, if you absolutely need advice from guinea pig experts you may want to post to a forum dedicated to them. If you are seriously concerned about this little one, find a way to get it to a veterinarian. As the vet if they will take payments, or work with you for treatment. Some vets are very helpful.

Next I have deleted 2 of your threads and moved this one to other pets where is should be posted.

7 is getting up there in age for a guinea pig. Whenever an animal does not want to eat or drink it is definitely a sign something is wrong. In any living thing if the body is not sustained by food and water it will shut down. There is honestly no way to tell what is wrong with your guinea pig unless you take it to the vet. No one can ever give a diagnosis over the internet. If you are concerned about his health then please call a vet, let them know what is going on and ask if they would be able to set up a payment plan for you.

Hope your cavy does well. I am a former cavy owner, who agrees you should check a cavy forum...and get him to a vet. I had the same problem with my own guinea pig, and it turned out he had malo issues with his teeth. Sadly, it was too late for my guy, who was about 5. I had only owned him a short time, but my vet felt he was ill when I got him.

Old or sick, can't tell either way. A cavy forum will probably tell you to take him to a vet as well, because they are just people on the other end of a computer, they are not a trained vet who can check his vitals and responses.

I am concerned that you said you had to go inside to get veggies. I hope your cavy and certainly not your chins are living outside.

OMG! I'm sorry! This is exactly what happened to my piggy :(
He was acting like this for like 4days and then he passed on :(

Latest posts

Back