Gritty dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
So I've used a few different kinds of dust so far, and with lately have been using Blue Cloud. What I've noticed is that it has a lot of gritty stuff in it, almost like kitty litter, but smaller pieces. I've also noticed the chins are not as dusty after bathing, most likely because the dust is chunky enough not to be getting into their coats. Is this normal? Is it just time to change the dust? I'm thinking they are picking up the real fine dust in the first few baths in new dust, and the chunky stuff is being left behind, but it seems like a good percentage of the dust is this coarser stuff. I also sift through it now and then to catch the poops, and this stuff won't even go through my sifter.

To give you an idea of scale, this bit of dust is about an inch across.

Attachments

• Dust.jpg
    Dust.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 14
Blue Cloud does have grittier pieces in it, the coarser stuff falls further into the fur. You can reuse the dust a couple times but then the lighter finer dust gets used up so then you should change it out or add more new dust.

Yeah, it gets like that after a few uses. I put more dust in the dusters when it gets too coarse. Also, I sift out the dust after I use it to remove any little poops. When I sift it removes the larger, coarser dust particles.

Back