Goodbyes always lead to new Hello's

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
I'm finally posting this cuz I feel like the emotional aspect has settled down a bit. I didn't want to NOT say anything, cuz I definitely feel as though this forum is a close nit family to me. So yea, story time.

Back on Dec. 18, I was in a car accident. I was following 2 of my friends on one of Houston's Tollways. It was around 7:30pm and a bit dark already. My roommate was leading us to her house, her and her bf in their truck. Then I was following another friend and her bf in her SUV. As we're about to approach a pay station, I notice my roommate and her bf swerve out of the lane we're in, then my other friend swerved out of the same lane. By the time I realized why the two of them had swerved (literally within seconds of each other), I was about 3 cars lengths away from a stopped car with no lights on. Needless to say, I attempted to swerve out of my lane but wasn't successful. I hit the vehicle with the front left end of my car. At the time, I just remember opening my eyes and seeing smoke everywhere. My airbag had deployed (which smells awful) and I could see the hood of my car crunched up in front of my...though not a crack on the windshield. I thank God everyday that somehow I didn't get hit in return, and that I walked away only with a bruise from my seatbelt and a few sore muscles. I also thank God that my friends were there and immediately pulled over to rush to me. The driver of the other vehicle fled...on foot. Though he spoke to my friends twice. To this day, I still don't know who he is or if anything was done about him. For the past month and a half, I have replayed the scene in my head over and over...sometimes with sadness and sometimes with anger. I know that this was not my fault. I was not speeding, I was not following too closely. Both of my friends had to react in the exact same way to this car, but I was just the unfortunate one. It's been a lesson learned and definitely an example of not to ever take life for granted.

While I am more than grateful for my life, one of the hardest parts of this situation has been the loss of my "best friend"....my car....Hedwig. It may seem silly to some, but she was my first car. The car I learned to drive in, the one that helped me evacuate during Hurricane Ike, the one I lived in during the hurricane, the one that made 1 1/2 years of a long distance relationship a bit more bearable. I've driven Houston's highways so many times, and often with Gizmo in tow. I trusted my car with my life. And when I see the pics from the wreck, I cant help but feel emotional in knowing that "she" saved mine. I miss her everyday. Though, pics of the wreck aren't how I'd like to remember her, I dont have any on this computer from when I first got her.

DSCN1595.jpg

My wonderful 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I was able to get her back license plate mailed to me so there's some comfort.

In the midst of all this, I am very blessed to have my parents help me with another car. I was hoping for another Cobalt, but since I buy used cars, we cant get too picky now, can we :). I now have a 2008 Nissan Sentra. 4 doors, not as "sporty" looking as Hedwig, but definitely a great investment. My plan for my first car was to have her "as long as she can run". So that's my plan for this one as well! Meet Luna (sticking with the Harry Potter theme for all you fans out there!)...

P01-22-11_17121-1.jpg

The past 2 months have definitely been bittersweet but I've gained a new outlook on life...and a new friend :D

I like Luna! She's pretty. I've told you before and I'll say it again. I'm SO happy you are safe. I loves you Luci-Bear! Shell says she loves you too.

Hedwig's sister Bumblebee misses her! But I am soooo glad you are ok, wifey!

I still have nightmares about a bad car accident I was in. If anything it makes me a safer driver.

It's always hard to say goodbye to your first car. Mine was a '93 Olds Cutlass Ciera. It was a real rust bucket. My first accident was a year after I started driving (I've been in one minor fender bender since- not my fault) and my car was totaled. This wasn't hard to do since it was 12 years old. But it looked a lot like your car. LOL. It sat in our shop lot for a while until we scrapped it. It was difficult to see my 1st car like that...

Glad you are okay though! :) Car accidents are really stressful and scary!

It's always hard to say goodbye to your first car.

I hated my first car! LOL! It was a huuuge ugly rusty boat! A '93 Thunderbird...I called it a Thunderchicken. It wasn't even the supercharged version :( It was always breaking down on me..something was always wrong with it...and it was covered in dents, rust, etc.

I was quite happy to see it go!!

Haha Stackie! Thunderchicken.. lol.. That's the one thing I can say about my oldsmobile. It never broke down on me. It was very reliable up until the day she died. Guess I was lucky.

I like your new car! I drive a 2002 Nissan Sentra and it's been a great car, I've never had any issues with it, nor my dad who owned it before me. Hopefully you like yours and it lasts for you like mine has! Mine's at over 130,000 miles :D

wow......thank God you are ok! thanks for sharing your story, i am sure it was difficult to relive. i know that i replay an accident that i was in over and over and over. my car wasnt totaled, over 8,000 of damage but it was a pretty new one at the time.
we buy & sell used cars and the nissan is definitely a good buy! i think it is a nice looking ride......the tinted windows give it a nice look.

I had my first car until it literally fell apart! It was a good car, but it was great to have something bigger and reliable once again.

I'm sorry you lost Hedwig, because it can be really tough to say goodbye to all the memories. But hedwig kept you safe until you had to say goodbye, so he did his job well!

Your new car looks great and hopefully you'll create new and maybe better memories with this one!

And finally, I am so happy to hear that you walked away with minimal injury. That can't always be said. I hope you and Luna grow old together! :)

good to hear you were not seriously hurt! and i hope the driver of the other car is ok too.

i've never had my own vehicle (heck, i don't even have a driver's license, lol), but when my dad sold his old baby blue f150 i was sad. i grew up riding around in that truck, it was the vehicle that brought me home from the hospital when i was born, and there were many happy memories of my childhood inside that ol' ford.

I'm so glad you're ok Luci! I drive an 09 cobalt, also white. They're great cars so I can understand why you were so attached. RIP Hedwig, and may your lovely new car last for years to come!

My first car was a beige pinto, stick shift--man I loved that car! Your first car will be just like your first love always with you. While I'm happy for your new car, I'm MORE happy your crash didn't cause any serious injury. I so happy you're still with us!

I remember my first car. I LOVED that car. Still do. It was a white acura integra. That little car went with me all over the place. It finally died in Washington @ 250,000 miles. I drove that car from Los Angeles to Seattle to Vancouver and every place between. If they still made it I would buy it again.

So glad you're okay.

First car: Burgundy 89 Olds Cutlass Sierra. No interior door handles or lock levers, radio was shot, dome light didn't work, rearview mirror needed epoxied back on... but it had the high litre V6 and ran like a freight train. :)

:hug2: Aww Luci, you made me get all teary reading what happened. More than anything, I too am glad you weren't seriously hurt. First cars are always so memorable, mine was a 1971 Plymouth Duster and I too had a serious accident with it and was lucky to have not been hurt seriously. Your Luna is very pretty and sporty looking, I totally see you in that car. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back