Gluing Fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichismama

Last week I said "the heck with it", and decieded to glue my fabric together instead of sewing. All of my 'stitches' are on the inside of whatever it is I made, but I was able to make buddies, hammocks, liners--you name it, it seconds.

I planned on buying a sewing machine soon, but didn't know if it was worth it. I have never seen these guys interested in chewing fabric. and i use just enough to hold the fabric, not a big clump..but I still question myself for this...

everything looks so pretty, and my fingers don't hurt afterwards like when I'm hand sewing...

btw: the glue is non toxic...

what do you think?

very good point Tiffany. hand washing might be an option, as long as the 'seams' stay dry, but that means that any yuck on those parts won't get washed.

suppose it wouldn't be too hard to re-glue things after they've dried though.

What kind of glue did you use? There are permanent/washable fabric adhesives, but I would be afraid of the chins getting at them. There's one kind I used in my theater job that attached a champagne bottle to a serving tray for 3.5 years. I would NOT use that (Fabritack) in a chin cage. But small amounts of super glue, if its on the inside of the item, I'd at least think about for a non-chewer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it on the liners because it will get pretty old re -gluing every few days. But for the buddies & the hammocks and other items it probably won't be as time consuming to reglue after washing since they don't get washed as much.

That's true, it might get old. Never thought of it that way. I usually hand wash, but haven't washed any of the new one's yet, since I have a ton. I will wash this weekend and see.

@3c: It was a glue stick that you put in the hot gun. I don't know what kind they are, I just checked to see if it was nontoxic and made sure to rub it in, kinda, so it wouldnt be tempting to gnaw on...I also mad them so they slide on the the shelves, so that the seam could be on the underside. Can't imagine them getting under there, but I will try to find a good used sewing machine...just don't look forward to learning to use it, lol.

If I can run a sewing machine, and make things for the chins, believe me, you can too! I'd look on Craigslist and see if you can get one at a great price.

Sewing is w/ no doubt the best way to go. I wouldn't put hot glue in a chin cage, though I might touch up a seam w/ super glue if it's an area they can't reach.

There's also an Idiot's Guide to Sewing, but the trick will be figuring out your machine. Some are bigger pains in the neck than others.

i got a sewing machine at a garage sale for 5 bucks! came with the manual and all. plus you could download stuff online. i honestly have not had the time to do much with it but i hope to one day so i can dw my own liners instead of just folding the fleece!

Look for older sewing machines, they are usually built better and lasted longer for a reason. I picked one up for $25 on craigslist, had the manual and everything. If you find one without the manual there are several websites that have them for sale for a few bucks. There are lots of videos on youtube as well, although I am going to take a few sewing classes next month hopefully to learn what I am doing a bit better. I did manage to make one hammock so far, but lately just been busy. Just remember that the critters don't care how it turns out!

just gonna throw it out there, there is something called "liquid stitch". i used it to reinforce my (poorly done) sewing job when i repaired my jeans.

it is permanent, clear drying adhesive. the tube says "machine wash &dry, non-toxic, and non-flammable". since most liners and such are sewn inside out, if you have to hand sew something, it could be used to just reinforce the stitches so they dont come undone. though, i dunno if i'd just use it alone. i havent yet used it on anything for gizmo's cage, but it could be something worth looking into. granted...sewing will be more durable, but its a quick fix!

http://www.createforless.com/Dritz+Adhesive+Liquid+Stitch+4+oz/pid130700.aspx

I think that's what I used to attach my absorbent layer inside my liners. Worked pretty well and boy did it stick!

Lol, it's so tempting to continue because it's soo simple. i will get an older sewing machine, when i find the right price, but after reading the replies, i think it will annoy me to redo the stitching, but my chins are safe--just as i thought...

One thing at a time though, I just brought my first drill for shelves. Cant take on too much at one time. This chins might think I'm trying to dedicate my entire life to them, lol.;)

I have a brother LS-1217 and it is amazingly easy to use! You can get one for $50 or less, probably cheaper on craigslist, but def worth it!

Latest posts

Back