Giving notice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

So I am quitting my job today, no worries I have another one lined up. But I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nervous!! I have been putting it off for a week now, and now I REALLY just have to get it over and done with. For the most part I like the people I work with but the job sucks and I know this is the right thing for me to do, mostly for my sanity. But I am shaking, I feel ill in my stomach and can't stop coughing (I cough when I am nervous) Man I am a wuss!! Can someone dress up like me and go to my job and do it for me!?

Just make sure you have your notice typed out formally and CCed to the appropriate people. Don't delay, if you have to give x-weeks notice, make sure you don't miss it!

Don't be nervous! What can they do to you? Are they going to beat you? Well, they can't fire you. :rofl: Just be polite and matter of fact and like Sesame said, have it all typed out and also keep a copy for yourself.

And good luck on your new venture. You are broadening your horizons.

:gl:

Well I decided, since I am a wuss to leave the letter for my boss on Friday because I won't be there! So she can read it over with out me there and then talk to me the next day.

Oh.. That's a new way to do it.. I haven't ever heard of someone giving their notice without even being there unless they were right out quitting. Seems like an odd way to do it?

I never like giving my notice because I get nervous for no reason, but it's not like it's a reasonable nervousness. There's no reason to be nervous, it's not like they can do anything to you..

Hah!
I would do my happy dance on their face! (Can't you tell how much I love my job?)
I mean, I would write it in permanent glow in the dark markers on their antique mahogany desks (if they had one!). Hmmmm... and I would work the word 'bum crack' in there somewhere.

But that probably wouldn't get you very far. Sorry.
Seriously, tell them to their faces. You would not believe the confidence rush you get. Plus they are more likely to respect you after that. (Less if you dance on their face though).

Years ago at one of my least favorite jobs I gave my two weeks notice and had my woman boss sign two copies. One for her and one for me. Since she knew she "burned me" the day before..................she signed my notice and said I didn't have to fullfill the remaining two weeks. I walked out the door with a cat *&@% grin.

One of my Jobs I had years ago if someone gave their notice the company walked you to the door right then and there and then just paid you out for the two weeks.

When I resigned from my job last month, I gave my notice just before the entire office shut down for a company BBQ. After she read me the riot act, she and my other boss didn't talk to me for the next few weeks. They talked ABOUT me, but not directly to me. They actually went so far as to greet everyone but me in the office.

It was a happy day when I could hand in my resignation.

Courtney, that was very unprofessional of them! As a business manager, I am always happy when someone gives proper notice, as opposed to outright quitting at the last second. There is nothing wrong with someone finding a better opportunity, and why should I have a problem with that? As long as they treat me fairly and give proper notice, why should I be angry? Some people take things way too personally. It's just business!

I've given notice once and it really was no big deal. As long as you remain proffesional and make it about finding a better opportunity for you, not about 'why this job sucks', there should be no hard feelings on either side. You're moving on and they have time to find a replacement. I do think you should do this in person though, no matter how nervous you are. It shows professionalism, and really the worst that can happen (I doubt it will) is they yell at you or fire you. You can survive either and since you already don't like the job and are leaving, it'll just reaffirm that you're making the right decision.

When I quit, I had many reasons for doing so. I was nervous because my manager frequently yelled at me for things that weren't my fault. He'd always apologize later, but to me apologies are useless if you're just going to do the same thing again tomorrow or next week. He didn't yell at me when I told him and gave it to him in writing though, He just asked if I was sure and said to let him know if I changed my mind. One of my big reasons for quiting was that I was overworked and tired all the time (and tired of being yelled at). The manager promised for two months that he was going to hire and train more people, but he didn't. We were already understaffed so I gave four weeks notice just so my quitting wouldn't be so hard on my co-workers. I was a little ticked when he waited until a few days before I left to start interviewing people. The job I was doing required at least a week of training which should have been done before I left, but it wasn't my problem. I did everything I could to make things easier on them so when he asked me to stay longer, I didn't feel bad politely refusing.

On my last day, the manager said he was sorry to see me go and that I was one of his best employees. He even asked if he could give me a hug, which was just awkward as I didn't like him and didn't know him well, but just the same, I as glad to know there were no hard feelings.

Last edited:
Courtney, that was very unprofessional of them! As a business manager, I am always happy when someone gives proper notice, as opposed to outright quitting at the last second. There is nothing wrong with someone finding a better opportunity, and why should I have a problem with that? As long as they treat me fairly and give proper notice, why should I be angry? Some people take things way too personally. It's just business!

Well, technically, I didn't give them 'proper' notice - instead of 14 days, I gave them about 10. Ten working days, mind you. I think they were just angry I left since that meant they'd have to do things for themselves again. LOL.

Having to organize a department-wide BBQ with 2 days notice was the last straw and I nearly danced for joy when my old boss asked me to come back to the office. I love it there.

Courtney, here in Quebec it's common practice to give 10 working day notice.

At my second full time job, I gave them my notice face to face, that's what people usually do. It was a friday and since it was calm at the office, they offered me to leave right away because it would be better for my taxes (wich wasn't in the end). I never got a goodbye lunch, even at both my last job :(

I've given lots of notices, from standard two weeks (10 working days) to whenever I got another job (ended up being ~two months).

Like everyone else has said, they're not going to do anything to you. :))

Best to do it professionally... You might need a reference from those folks later.

And, if your supervisors move on to a new job in the future, you'll want to leave a professional resignation letter for your file so that those who take over can see you're a reasonable person and will, at least, be able to verify that you were employed there at one time.

Latest posts

Back