GI Stasis! HELP PLEASE!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I have had to wean off of critical care, I've done as your vet said, and added pellets to the CC. I don't crush them up much though. Maybe the first couple times, and that's only going to work if he'll take his CC out of a bowl or off a spoon. It doesn't work so well when all he will do is eat out of a syringe.

How is he eating his CC? If he's eating out of a syringe, try and get him to eat it off of a spoon. After you can get him to start eating it that way, try coarse grinding his pellets a bit and adding them to the CC. Then try and get him to eat it out of a bowl. Once he's doing that you can start adding larger and larger pieces of pellets and slowly easing off of the CC.

Will he eat hay?

I've also given them the crushed up pellets and slowly worked up to them eating larger and larger pieces. That works pretty well. Normally once you get them to start up eating pellets it only takes a day or two until they are eating on their own completely. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be trying that...somewhat of a set back today...few droppings. So frustrating! Just yesterday vet said sounds good, now....few. I can even tell he's not feeling 100%, he doesn't seem as active. Such an up and down. I never know what's going to help the most or hurt.

Latest posts

Back