GI Stasis! HELP PLEASE!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great news! Sounds like you are doing everything you can to make sure raisin pulls thru. So glad you are here and can keep us up to date on his progress.
These are the only things I can think of that you didnt mention:

Do you have paper towels in his cage to monitor his urine output? I found that helpful.
Also i would still offer the pellets & hay in the event he gets the urge to chew (if you aren't already doing that)

Keep up the good work.

Do you give the metacam as one large dose or two smaller doses? I found that giving metacam 1/2 hour before feedings encourages them to eat more as it gives the pain killer time to take effect and feedings are pain free.

Make sure you have pellets and hay available in his cage at all times. He may start to eat them on his own, without any prompting once he feels better.

Do you have paper towels in his cage to monitor his urine output? I found that helpful.
Also i would still offer the pellets & hay in the event he gets the urge to chew (if you aren't already doing that)

Keep up the good work.

I put down a pillow case to monitor that, and make it easier to see droppings. I know he is urinating as he did so on my blanket this morning when I was giving him a tummy massage. I also have fresh hay and pellets. I change them at the same time I did before he gets sick in hopes of getting him back into his routine. So far no interest. I feel like today we took a step backwards as his droppings became significantly smaller than the small ones he had before. I didn't feed as much this morning because his belly felt a little bigger again. I know everyone says it takes a while. Should I just keep trooping ahead and doing what i'm doing in hopes the droppings pick up again?

Yes! Keep up the massaging and the feeding and the meds and whatever you are doing to get him to keep his gut moving.
gi stasis can take a while to combat. i think the key is persistance and be consistant.
i am not sure how he feels but i always take my boys out for "playtime" so i can monitor their poop output. When Richie was first sick, I would take a book in the bathroom and sit on the floor as long as it took for me to see several droppings. the moving around gets the gut moving too. every time i handfed him i would put him in the bathroom and let him move around both before and after the feeding and meds.
of course this depends on your time constrainsts.
After 9 months i still let him out 3 times a day to get some exercise and do feeding and meds. he eats much less of the ground up mix and finally eats some pellets but it took a long, long time for that to happen.

It took Meanie a LONG time to get her chin out of stasis. She worked at it, her mom worked at it, and frankly, she's the first person I have ever known with such a bad case that the chin survived. But, she was determined and she never gave up. She just keep going at it.

One thing you need to do with gut stasis, that your vet really needs to show you, is how to administer subcu fluids. Without the fluids, you're not going to get that blockage in the stomach to loosen up and break apart. It's just going to stay a hard knot and keep making you go backwards. Just administering liquid by mouth is rarely enough. It's not hard to give subcu fluids and the chins seem like they don't even notice it if you do it well.

I don't think you should give up on him. I wouldn't. But, I work at home and that makes a huge difference. Meanie is at home as well, and I think that's the reason the chin survived. If you are available to care for him as in the amount he's going to need, them keep at it. Trust me, you will know when HE has given up. It's really hard to miss it.

I feel like today we took a step backwards as his droppings became significantly smaller than the small ones he had before. I didn't feed as much this morning because his belly felt a little bigger again. I know everyone says it takes a while. Should I just keep trooping ahead and doing what i'm doing in hopes the droppings pick up again?
You will have days where you feel like you're moving backwards, but keep going until he doesn't want to keep going anymore. The bigger tummy is probably gas, give him a dropper full of simethicone before each feeding and keep up with the massages. You can't overdose on simethicone, so you can also give him some at other times. In addition to feeding times, I gave Sparky simethicone every time I did tummy massages. Give him as much food as he will eat at each feeding, don't cut back because his tummy feels big to you. He needs a consistent supply of food to get everything moving. When I was feeding Sparky there were times when he didn't want to eat as much, but I tried to urge him to continue eating as I knew he needed the fiber to keep things moving. If he was adamant or stressing, I would stop at that point and just accepted the fact that he was done.

There were many days that when we started our massages, that Sparky's stomach felt like it was in knots. This was gas in his intestines. The warm compresses and massage would work these out, and then they'd reappear by the next massage sessions. I just kept working them and working them. It took me a good two weeks before I was optimistic that he was going to survive his ordeal and even after that I was guarded as I was worried that he would have a backslide. I'm happy to report that Sparky is continuing to do really well and is the biggest consumer of hay of any of the chins.

Try not to be discouraged and feel free to voice your frustration. While I didn't post his story on the forum while it was happening, I had a great support system behind the scenes in Claire D, Tunes, a great chin vet and my mother. They kept me going with encouragement and were a place for me to bounce ideas around. Remember to take care of yourself too. Be sure to eat, drink plenty of water and get rest. My mother helped me administer subcutaneous fluids, encouraged Sparky to run around in the play pen and told him he needed to poop. She laughed at us more than once when he was napping on my chest and I was napping right along with him. Good thing she loves animals. My step father wasn't so thrilled being invaded every day, but he had to get over himself.

Last edited:
I'm having some difficulty with the massages today, he won't sit still or let me hold him for a very long massage, i'm lucky if I get 3 minutes in. Another thing that's bothered me, I have him sepererate from his cagemate Dusty. Well today I thought, i'd let them play, bond a little since they'd been stretching their hands through their bars to touch one another. The second I put Raisin back in the big cage, he squawked and sprayed urine at Dusty! I don't think Raisin has given up yet, he seems more active and spunky, but I just want to see those poos! I am nervous about sub cu fluids too because i'm afraid it will hurt him, or that I won't be able to keep him still enough to administer them all. I might take a trip to the vet tomorrow though and learn how. It sounds like it's the one thing I'm really not doing, that needs to be done.

Sometimes they don't want as much massage. Don't get discouraged. My massage technique is, I sit them on my lap with their back against me. I position one hand under their arms and support them with my thumb and forefinger. I slip the massaging hand under and massage in a firm circular downward motion, sometimes the motion is more downwards than circular. I typically start in the center going all the way down, repeat in the same spot once or twice and then move 1/4 to 1/2 to the right and repeat until I run out of stomach. Then switch holding hands and repeat on the left side. If they are still willing at that point I repeat. Depending on the chin, I've been able to sit and massage up to 15 to 30 minutes. We sit and watch TV together and keep it up as long as they let me and my hand doesn't fatigue.

Claire D has mastered giving subq fluids on her own, but I need help. With Tucker my mother held and I inserted the needle and pushed the fluids in. Sparky wouldn't settle with my mother, so I held him against my chest, she slipped her hands in one under his butt and one behind his head/shoulders which made my hands free to insert the needle. Then we gently switched hands back and she pushed the fluids. It was quite the contortionist sideshow, but it worked for him. If you get a subq set up from the vet, have them either give you butterfly needles or set you up with a 30" IV extension and needles. Its much easier administering fluids with a lead than directly from a syringe, as the extension moves with them if they squirm. Also, if you're injecting meds push 1/2 the subq fluids into the chin, take the solution syringe off, attach the meds syringe and push that in, then finish the subq fluids. This way you only have to poke them once and it completely avoids the hazard of a baytril abscess. I've also found that a 23g needle works the best for administering subq fluids to chins as it's small enough that it doesn't hurt too bad, but big enough that you're not fighting the syringe to pump in fluids.

Ok, went to the vet today, and they set me up with subcu fluids and injection reglan. Dr said his belly was bigger than it was when they sent him home but that it was still smaller than it originally was last week. They did give us a syringe, but he seems to do fine with it. He sits still and it only takes about a minute or so to get it into him. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this all helps! Thanks for the advice about subcu fluids menagerie and tunes!

My chin survived bloat and gi stasis but it took a long time and alot of hard work. Thanks to everyone on here because If i didnt have their support and knowledge he wouldnt have made it. I sometimes wanted to cry because i didnt get any sleep and it was frustrating one day we moved forward and the next day 2 steps back. When giving sub q fuids definately use a butterfly needle like meanie said. There is a good video on you tube of someone giving their cat sub q fluids with a butterfly needle I will search for it. I gave sub q fluids by myself, meds, critical care, probiotics, lifeline, belly masssages, heat packs, simethicone drops. I didnt think it was going to ever end. It took about 45 days!!He is doing great to this day. Just stick with it around the clock!! I wish you the very best!!

Last edited:
What is lifeline, and if I chose to use probiotics, does anyone know how much or what kind? I don't know what kind of needle they gave me, but it doesn't seem to hard to use. It flows pretty well from the syringe. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just worried because my life is about to get very busy as I start a 40 hr a week internship at a local hospital in January. I need to get him doing better before then!

Ok, went to the vet today, and they set me up with subcu fluids and injection reglan. Dr said his belly was bigger than it was when they sent him home but that it was still smaller than it originally was last week. They did give us a syringe, but he seems to do fine with it. He sits still and it only takes about a minute or so to get it into him. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this all helps! Thanks for the advice about subcu fluids menagerie and tunes!
How much subcu fluids is he getting and how often?

Well he is supposed to get 35mL 2 x's a day. However, I failed miserably giving it to him tonight. He was so still and good at the vet for the tech, but for me he just squirmed. I ended up scrapping it after 3 attempts. It wasn't pushing out as easy as she made it look, and he kept moving. I'm going to try at 6 am tomorrow in hopes he's calmed down and tired. Maybe that will make a difference?

I found that giving sub-q fluids in the am was easier than at night. Dont go to long without him getting any fluids, these little guys go down hill quick. Take him back to the vet and have them administer more if you can't do it. Call and ask what they charge to just give fluids. I also found it to be easier giving them after giving pain medicine. Wait for like 20 min then give fluids.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to give him the fluids last night after I calmed myself down. I was just so nervous, I think he knew. We let him play, tired him out and then gave him the fluids. We were also able to do it again this morning. So he has gotten 3 good doses of fluids in the last 24 hrs. I'm going to try again tonight around 6 or 7. It is difficult pushing from the syringe, but it's what I have and I made it work, i'll do it again. I hope it gets easier as I go. He is now really fearful though to be held because I think the needle really does bother him. But I have to do it to keep him healthy. This is so emotional...

See if you can get the IV extension from the vet. It makes it so much easier. What I end up doing is putting the syringe, plunger end down on a solid surface and pushing down on the syringe to push the fluids. It's so much easier on your hands and arms.

Hang on in there - you're doing well. IME treating GI stasis is a real roller coaster - but there are people here to encourage and support you when it all gets too much.

What size of syringe are you using? If it's a big one and you're using a new sterile one each time then take an old one and practice with an orange - draw up some tap water and inject it into the orange - it will help you with your technique. Using a syringe to inject fluids sub-cut takes some practice.

So a weird thing happened tonight. I gave him his subcu fluids, which was a bit tricky, but we did it, and after, during playtime I noticed he looked like he has a little bubble on his side that kind of hung down. I freaked a little bit and picked him up. When I felt it, it felt like fluids. So I thought maybe the subcu traveled down his side and formed a bubble there. I called my vet (for the 50th time) and they said that could happen. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be more concerned?

Latest posts

Back