getting my own place (kinda)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardinggamer

Since I am 18 now and have a pretty awesome job I started thinking about things. Some of these things being:
getting a credit card
Getting my own place
Getting a new car
etc

I am going to try and get a credit card soon to have for emergencies so that's covered.

Anyway me and my friend Katie were talking the other day and we decided next year when she turns 18, me her and our friend Aviya are going to get a place together to get away from the parents for more freedom. This means Katie will come back to New York (I miss her so much) and no more rules holding me back from what I want to do, for example all nighters to get my programming done.

I can only think of the good things about this and as my old school theripist says, It's "Magical Thinking" or thinking of all the good and not the bad or the tasks needed to be done to accomplish it. I was hoping everyone here could help me with this to prepare for what will come. Katie and Aviya have there moments of fighting which involves screaming...a lot of screaming, so we need a place that people wont call the cops thinking someone is getting murdered xD. 2 bedroom (me being the only guy of the 3 I get my own room (So happy about that)) a room for Rinny (open room with no wires for her to chew on). That's all I can think of though and I know there has to be more then just that. which is why I am asking for some help on what to look for. I know a lot of people here (if I am not mistaken MOST people here) have there own place (or with there wife/husband or someone other then parents) so Please help me with this because its a HUGE money loss for me to mess up with this.

Please help me out with this.

Your first priority should be establishing what their credit rating is. You don't want to sign a lease, cable TV, power, any other household accounts in just YOUR name. YOU will be responsible for paying the bills if your friends flake out, and that will RUIN your credit rating.

It's exciting to be able to move out and have your own place, but sometimes, it's not the smartest thing you can do. LOTS to think about.

You should share equally in the deposit, 1st and last month's rent, and any other startup expenses. People always say that it will all work out, but if you start paying your bills late, or not paying at all, that is probably the worst thing that you can do.

Today, EVERYTHING is based on your credit rating. Car insurance, car loans, credit cards, mortgages, they ALL have better/lower rates for people who have a track record of being responsible and meeting their obligations.

Perhaps you could stay at home for a while longer, and put money in a fund to make sure that you have enough to get a place of your own. If your parents are still being strict with you, you should try to negotiate some new rules. For instance, I don't think that it would be terrible if you stayed up all night to get your programming done, as long as you are quiet and not disturbing anyone at night.

Take a trip to the grocery store and make a note of the costs of the products and foods that you like. It can add up in a hurry. If you're like my best friend's son, he is thrilled to live at home with no rent, no laundry, no groceries and the ability to save all of his money from his job. When he gets a nice cushion, he would like to get his own place.

Good luck to you, but don't run out and do something crazy that has the potential to cause you long term damage.

Your first priority should be establishing what their credit rating is. You don't want to sign...

If it was just Katie I wouldn't mind paying it all but since Aviya will be part of it too it will be split between all of us. Next year Katie turns 18 and we are going to wait until they both get a job to make sure we have the money.

As for living here with my mom. I really cant take it here anymore. Her BF is moving in and even though I don't mind that there just isn't enough room. When his daughter is here and my older brother is here that's 6 people in a place just big enough for 2 people. I can't stay up all night because my younger brother who has to share a room with me has school and a bed time. Yeah laundry and stuff gets done for me but I am going to have to pay rent soon since I am 18 (my older brother pays rent).

Another reason I want to leave, My older brother doesn't understand how important and expensive my stuff is (Rinny and her cage and stuff, my computer, my replica Master Sword, etc) and he starts messing around with my stuff and if even one of these things break or get damaged...that's hundreds of dollars (thousands for my computer stuff)...plus he seems to think whats not his is free for his friends to use/have.

Having my own place will give me the sense of security, privacy, peacefulness and in all honestly I think it will help with my depression. If I finally meet a guy I can let him come over and not have to deal with trying to hide our relationship (My family doesn't know I am gay and I would like to keep it that way)

:topic: I just noticed that I finally got 2 stars under my name. :throw: YAY

Last edited:
If you'd have to pay rent at home, then I'd definitely move out. That's just wrong and weird in my opinion. As a parent my children are my responsibility, not my tenants. Not to mention you don't have your own room?

You'll have basic maintenance stuff, laundry, possibly appliances, furniture, renters insurance. Like Lynn said start getting prices for where you plan to be, if you have a car sometimes it's cheaper to move out a bit from the middle of everything.

You say 2 bedroom, but why not get a 3 bedroom if there are three of you? Everyone needs their own space sometimes.

If you'd have to pay rent at home, then I'd definitely move out. That's just wrong and weird in my opinion. As a parent...

We decided to get 2 because it would be cheaper then a 3 bedroom place. But it really depends on the price, if there is a 3 bedroom place that is affordable and has what we need then we will get it.

Also I agree with your opinion with the rent. But I honestly think its because my mom wants money for herself. She will do anything in her power to get out of paying for things that don't benefit her which is why I think that's why

If you haven't already, look into renting a house. Where I live, (Chicago Suburbs) it is sometimes cheaper to rent a house that a 3 bedroom apartment. The drawback is depending on the lease you may have to do the upkeep like mow the lawn and shovel in the winter.

Just noticed but your info says you are 22?

Sorry I missed your comment before. but yeah before I turned 18 I used to sign up for everything with 1990.

If you haven't already, look into renting a house. Where I live, (Chicago Suburbs) it is sometimes cheaper to rent a house that a 3 bedroom apartment. The drawback is depending on the lease you may have to do the upkeep like mow the lawn and shovel in the winter.

That is probably what I will do. I plan of renting a place for until I can get enough money to buy my old house back. I mean that's a LOT of money to get that place but I don't care I want it back, It's my house.

WOW!!! After hearing how many of you are in the current place and based on your brother's description, I would just get a small studio or 1 bedroom on my own!!!

Start saving now. Get in to the habit of budgeting your money and spending wisely. I can honestly say that I would have never made it had I moved out on my own at 18 (at the time I would not have thought this, but I am older and wiser now :D). I'm very glad I decided to go to a local college and live at home for 2 more years before moving. Then I decided to move 3 hours away from any family...I can't say it's been easy by any means.

Make sure your room mates are responsible and have their own reliable sources of income. I've been burned one too many times from a room mate who was running short and would pay me their half of the rent "next paycheck", causing me to cover the entire rent and having nothing left for myself. Also be sure that they are people you have a strong relationship with...nothing worse than being stuck on a contract living with someone you can't stand.

Do you have any credit history? If not, you're going to have a heck of a time getting approved for credit of any kind, and getting your name on a lease (most do credit checks, if you're not approved they sometimes will accept co-signers and a higher deposit). Many apartment complexes will also require you to make a certain income monthly. If you don't make their specified amount, they will deny you.

Use credit cards as a last resort. It's entirely too easy to charge small items that quickly add up to a big bill that you can't afford. The only credit cards I have are CareCredit in case of emergencies for my pets, and a few department store credit cards that I use to build my credit- I charge something, then pay it right off as soon as I charge it.

Also look into what bills you will be responsible for if you rent. Some places only charge for electric, some charge more. Internet, cable, etc. will usually be up to you.

Last edited:
WOW!!! After hearing how many of you are in the current place and based on your brother's description, I would just get a small studio or 1 bedroom on my own!!!

I would do that but I don't think I can handle being alone. I didn't plan on it being 3 of us I only wanted Katie to move in with me because she is my best friend and I miss her so much right now.

Start saving now. Get in to the habit of budgeting your money and spending wisely. I can honestly...

I want to get my GED and go to community college for computer science but for that (well for the program I want to do) I have to wait a year. But moving out I have been thinking really hard about and came to conclusion it would be for the best if I did it as soon as I can.

Katie I trust with my life. I know she would feel AWFUL if she couldn't pay and would do anything she can to make sure that doesn't happen. however Aviya I am not so close with so I don't really know. But her and Katie the best of friends and that's why I have the trust in the 2 of them.

With credit history as of now I don't have any. I am getting a credit card soon (I hope) for emergencies like possibly gas money if I absolutely need it (I'm not stupid enough to fill my car one it probably only about $10 worth since my car is great on gas). I never thought about using a store credit card to build my credit but I may do that with best buy if there's no annual fee for it.

And the bills are what I was worried about. I NEED INTERNET...The computer is my life so that HAS to be in any place I get. But I mean a place split by 3 people I don't see being to hard to cover the bills as long as we all have jobs. The only problem for me is that my job isn't a constant pay check. I do "side jobs" and get paid hourly for that job. There are no set hours or prices. I can make $1000 in a week or $500 in a month depending on who needs me to work for them.

Be very sure that your friends will help pay bills. I've seen too manny people get dumped cause their friends walked out or didn't bother to save their money. I think a place by your self would be best. Gives you plenty of space for you and the chin without worrying that your friends might deside to play with his things like your brothers. Be sure to ask what bills are covered with rent. My apt covers all the utilities besides cable and internet. So I don't have any additional bills to cover besides my car. If you don't ask they usually don't tell you. Obviously a pet friendly place is a must, but don't be detered by 'no pets'. Most of those property owners will allow caged pets, if you don't tell them they get play time and the chin doesn't chew anything. I was kicked out at 17 and I had 8 chins, a pony, and a horsethat I had to take with me. It requires a lot of planning. Good luck.

Be very sure that your friends will help pay bills. I've seen too manny people get dumped cause their friends walked out or didn't bother to save their money. I think a place by your self would be best. Gives you plenty of space for you and the chin without worrying that your friends might deside to play with his things like your brothers. Be sure to ask what bills are covered with rent. My apt covers all the utilities besides cable and internet. So I don't have any additional bills to cover besides my car. If you don't ask they usually don't tell you. Obviously a pet friendly place is a must, but don't be detered by 'no pets'. Most of those property owners will allow caged pets, if you don't tell them they get play time and the chin doesn't chew anything. I was kicked out at 17 and I had 8 chins, a pony, and a horsethat I had to take with me. It requires a lot of planning. Good luck.

I would like my own place but that would be more money then splitting it 3 ways. I will be sure to ask about the bills.
As for them touching my stuff, they actually know how important my stuff is to me so they wouldn't dare go near my stuff without my permission.
There is actually a no pet rule here at my moms and we had a dog in here for a while so no pets isn't really a hard thing to get away with. as for planning, I still have like a year and a half at least.

I hate to say this but you may have an extremely difficult time getting anyone to rent or lease to you with your current age, no credit history,etc. You might stand a better chance getting financial assistance to complete your GED and get into college.You may stand a much better chance at getting help with housing and education that way.You could still share an apartment with your friends to save money and often if the need and desire is there you can get aid with housing.

There is actually a no pet rule here at my moms and we had a dog in here for a while so no pets isn't really a hard thing to get away with. as for planning, I still have like a year and a half at least.

Not a good mind set to have. In apartments, many allow maintenance to enter at any time. If you signed a lease stating no pets allowed, they can either evict you or make you get rid of your pets. Not worth it to lie and try to get away with it.

Not a good mind set to have. In apartments, many allow maintenance to enter at any time. If you signed a lease stating no pets allowed, they can either evict you or make you get rid of your pets. Not worth it to lie and try to get away with it.

That is true but having to lie about pets would be worst case.

I know you said you trust your friend but you need to watch your back at all times. If it were me I would have everyone sign a contract with rules and expectations. Friendships change-especially when put into stressful situations.

There are live in caregiving jobs that pay room and board plus wages sometimes too. Try to find an easy one that will let you still work, but I doubt you will be able to have screaming friends over, you'll have to find someplace else for that

I know you said you trust your friend but you need to watch your back at all times. If it were me I would have everyone sign a contract with rules and expectations. Friendships change-especially when put into stressful situations.

If we do get a place together there will definitively be some kind of contract.

There are live in caregiving jobs that pay room and board plus wages sometimes too. Try to find an easy one that will let you still work, but I doubt you will be able to have screaming friends over, you'll have to find someplace else for that

I'm not really sure what that is.

The caregiving jobs would involve living at the residence of someone, who needs help with everyday things. Not things that involve medical assistance, they involve helping with light cleaning like a little dusting or tidying up and with meal preparation...mostly it just involves being there to help and keep a disabled person company. They don't pay very well usually BUT the benefits of not having to pay rent or utilities or for food usually outweigh the wage issue for a young person just starting out. A job like that could give you the opportunity to save a lot of money and to work on getting your credit established, not to mention that if you live where you work you save tons on gas and wear and tear on your car.

I've known of a lot of college students that take on live in positions helping the elderly and they have said that it really helped them. While other students were only caring for themselves, these people felt fortunate that they had someone else to watch over since it taught them responsibility while not wasting their time on partying and other foolishness. One girl in particular lived with a family for three years that had a disabled relative. When she graduated she had actually saved up money!

That would definitely be something for you to look into instead of just jumping out into your own place where you have to worry constantly about making the rent and paying for shampoo and toothpaste. Living on your own is so incredibly expensive! Trust me, I was so dirt poor when I was your age, it was such a struggle to survive (and it still is...)

Latest posts

Back