Fur matting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevvy

I have two new chinchillas in my possession (long story), one of which has a fairly decent amount of matting in his fur. I don't think it can be brushed out or cleaned out. Can I cut the matting out so that it doesn't get any worse, or is there a better solution for this?

I swear every time I pull a matt out, even if i get a kack in response, the chin's second reaction is a face of relief. It is the funniest expression! They look so happy to have it gone. Just give the individual matts a steady tug, and they should slip out.

Then is the general consensus on this board is to not trim chinchilla fur? I pondered at that thought when I was contemplating the heat of the upcoming summer months - not to completely shave off his fur, just to trim it so it wouldn't be so long and insulating... Is that inhumane?

Then is the general consensus on this board is to not trim chinchilla fur? I pondered at that thought when I was contemplating the heat of the upcoming summer months - not to completely shave off his fur, just to trim it so it wouldn't be so long and insulating... Is that inhumane?

You leave chinchilla fur alone unless it gets matted or it needs to be combed to get the dead fur out. Most people don't comb out their animals, it's just a personal preference and it helps with new fur growth. You do not clip or shave a chinchilla's fur during the summer or any time for that matter. You should have your room under 72 degrees or so in the summer and the chinchilla should be fine as long as the humidity isn't too high. If a person cannot provide a cool enough room for a chinchilla during the summer, then the person should not own one.

I thought about the idea of trimming chin fur, too. Tiffany--I don't think it's from not having the money to run an AC, it was just another way of making sure they're cool. Like a granite slab, it would just complement the AC. I concluded that it would be too risky for me to try (I wouldn't even know where to begin to figure out how I'd do it), I didn't know how it would affect Chloe (if she would start chewing her fur or something), as the fur is really a form of protection for them, it may leave her more susceptible to things getting on her skin, like fleas and it wouldn't decrease the density of the fur, just the length so I'm not sure it would even help with body temperature.

Okay, I'm getting most of the mats out but it's leaving a huuuuuuge bald spot (well, not bald spot but just that short undercoat). How long does it take for the longer fur to grow back in?

P.S. Not a kack one, he was a sweetie throughout the whole process. I'm shocked, I was expecting him to make a huge fuss lol

It should take a few months for the fur to come in fully. I have one female in breeding that just does not keep herself clean, and constantly gets herself matted(always lying on her back where she goes potty doesn't help either). Seems like I am always pulling matts out of her fur. Doesn't help that she is my only MEAN chinchilla. The one i'd like to just leave alone is the one I have to handle *sigh*.

Back