Front teeth removal???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claire,
"that you are feeling bad is, perhaps, more a reflection on where you're up to in your own mind than anything else."

Your right, the reflection of "where I am up to in my own mind" is how I feel...
Shame on me for trying to share about my Lily Pearl whom I am wanting to find the best solution for.. AND getting kicked while I was already down..

Amanda,
"I honestly don't know where you are getting that anyone here posted or even thought that you were trying to keep the chin alive "for your own selfish reasons."

Did you not read this:
"someone who we feel is serving their own best interests instead of the best interests of their chins."
&
"sometimes we may need to act out of kindness to the animal rather than for ourselves, because it isn't fair to the animal to continue to have to go through these things"
&
"dont make that poor baby suffer, please... i know your trying to save her but i believe that in the end she will suffer more than be happy"

I am trying to drop this because I know it doesn't matter what I say, it will be turned around to what others want it to mean...

I am sorry Lily has a birth defect, I am also sorry that you are not in Dr. Rich's office with me when he gives me his opinion & shows me her x rays. I am sorry you don't see that Lily is a happy chin that eats well & has great fun at playtime, including CHEWING the bark off of her favorite sticks!!

I realize things in black & white can be misunderstood, but I could talk till I am blue in the face. Some will never understand because for some reason they have a permanent chip on their shoulder & as "they are in it for the chins" it seems more like they are in it for maybe Ego, or to make someone else as unhappy as they are??
I really hope that I am misreading all of this and that peace comes for those with turmoil...

Lily is the same as she has always been, fat & happy... When it comes time to make a decision on her "treatment" she will be the 1st consideration.

Once again, I come to this forum because I can! I like to come here, I am sorry if it makes you uncomfortable to speak of possible treatment of conditions rather then put a happy chin down because of the word "malo"

I really, really hope in all fairness that this isn't deleted... I mean no harm & want no ill fate...

If you even care, I will keep you posted as to what we decide to do for Lily... The LAST thing I want is for her to suffer...

Claire,
"that you are feeling bad is, perhaps, more a reflection on where you're up to in your own mind than anything else."

Your right, the reflection of "where I am up to in my own mind" is how I feel...
Shame on me for trying to share about my Lily Pearl whom I am wanting to find the best solution for.. AND getting kicked while I was already down..

*sigh* Histrionics/drama aside ...........

You'd already decided that people were going to attack you & you did not share the whole story - you started off this thread on the defensive so, in all honesty, regardless of what people in this thread posted you were going to feel attacked. That's a mind set - the only person who can help you with that is you - that's your state of mind & your posts just keep reflecting/reinforcing that.

Let me repeat what I said above:
Aimee, you asked for "thoughts, advice, experience" - from what I can see you've had just that:
Within the context of your initial post(s) we've given you our thoughts about malocclusion and incisor removal, have shared our experiences of dealing with chins with malocclusion & have even shared personal, painful experiences too.

No-one who has posted in this thread has done so to make you feel bad
- that you are feeling bad is, perhaps, more a reflection on where you're up to in your own mind than anything else.

You asked for help and people have been given it based on the information you provided - you don't like the answers but that's the risk anyone takes when asking for help on a forum - perhaps if we'd had the full story & you had not been feeling hyper-sensitive to start with then the outcome of this thread might have been different.

As I have said before I wish you the best in making your decisions for Lily.

Aimee, I am outside looking in. Not emotionnally involved in this situation (although lived thru one).
Please take this as just that.
I see people giving you their personnal experiences and wanting to help your chin.
I understand that this is why you are here, to have them help you shed light on a decision you need to make.

I don't see them blamming you but more like thinking of the chinchilla for you. Since you are the one living this at the moment. Having to deal with situations like these often blurs the whole picture because we love them so much.
Therefore, they are just trying to help you focus although not easy for you at this moment to see and accept this. But I know they are doing this for the good of your little one.
Surely you know that, otherwise I don't believe you would have asked for their help.

They do not respond to hurt you, but only reaching a hand to help you.

I am looking forward to reading you on this post. :)

Good luck

Last edited:
There are only a select few on this forum that I have told my entire story about my struggles with my chinchilla that has maloccluded and has had several dental procedures, not because I was afraid of what would be said, but because that is my nature. The people I have shared it with, have been super supportive of me and I expected no less from them. My chinchilla is a happy little thing most of the time, I can live with that.

For you to be upset with people who are only here to try to support you and give you advice about your chinchilla by sharing their own experiences is unbelievable. I don't frequent any other forums, I am just able to make time now for this one, but if it is true that bashing is going on behind backs, that's just sad.

When I read the statements you pointed out as being callous, I had read them as a collective "you", not a personal you, as in, those people are talking to me, and everyone else on this forum that might be in a similar situation. Does that mean I am going to go right out and have my chinchilla put to sleep or take offense? Of course not! I understand where they are coming from but they don't know my situation either. I guess I am just mature enough to be able to think for myself and not need a hand holding through every decision I have to make regarding my chinchilla.

I sincerely wish Lily Pearl all the best, whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
Jean Marie - Excellent post. Thank you for looking beyond the drama to see what was actually posted, instead of wanting to play poor pity me.

someone who we feel is serving their own best interests instead of the best interests of their chins

I would think even you, with your rose colored glasses, would have understood this post. This was aimed at the **** offs and the other stupidity that was posted on another forum. Will I ever believe it's fair and right to continually drag a chin to the vet every 6 weeks to have it's teeth ground down, causing continual pain, and forever hand feedings? No, I won't. I won't use a sling or experimental surgery. I won't do a thousand tooth trimmings. I think more of my animals than that. But, as JM pointed out, that's MY opinion. You are going to do whatever you want and that's fine. But don't come here again posting your half stories if you don't want to hear the truth from people who have gone through it. There's no point. Then all you do is run back to another forum and waaa waaa, they're so mean. If you don't post here, you won't have that problem, will you?

Well, I am glad we got that all cleared up & out in the open, now lets all agree to do just that, be mature & move on.

When it comes to Lily, yes, I absolutely want support & will have someone holding my hand when I make a decision. I canceled her "procedure" for now, and am focusing on doing research & getting opinions. (Yes I do consider EVERYONES) Lily is eating well & IMO doesn't need to be put down right now. She is a happy chin! I know that I will have to one day "play God" and send her across the rainbow bridge where there is no such thing as Malo.. I can deal with that but YES I am super sensitive, especially when I 1st find things out. It takes a few days for me to swallow things sometimes, actually all of the time. Bad personality trait?? Maybe, but it is what it is.

Once again I DO appreciate everyones opinions and am happy that everyone has Lily's best interest at heart.

Thank You.

I think this is kinda like a sunburn.The emotions are so close to the suface that it hurts to be touched no matter how gentle it is.

Best wishes for Lily Pearl!

I knew from the time the Vet said she had Malo that it was going to be a losing battle but he hasn't said anything about her having to be put down anytime soon.

Firstly, vets run a business, all businesses are in it for one thing, and it's not to help animals. I've worked for several vets, and know that very few will tell you to put an animal down or WHEN to put it down, generally if they can make it keep living, they're going to do it unless you bring it up. I just had my cat into the ER a couple weeks back for blocked bladder, they never asked me what I wanted to do or told me how much it would cost, they just proceeded. The vet was new there and didn't know me from Joe Blow on the street. The bill was $325, that's not including the additional 5 days of hospital stays, removing the cath, "prescription food", some additional meds, and administering fluids. Because I hospitalized him at home, he was happier there, he got his collar off ( supervised of course ) twice a day, and was with someone he loved ( that's me, lol ). In the end, it would've been over $600 for the whole thing for a "normal person" to have it done... they never asked if I had that money to do it, or if I even wanted to have it done.

Now I'm going to be "not mature" and bring this up.

Some that I know don't even have a Vet.

You're saying we're not listening or don't know the whole story, but yet you're assuming this, unless of course you live with any of us, etc. I take chins to the vet, but I don't post every time I do, anyone who disagrees can contact me and I'll give you my vets name and number and you can call either of them. I don't run every chin to the vet, because I feel comfortable treating at home for many things, or instead of taking the whole chin I'll take in a sample, etc. I've also had years of experience working beside wonderful vets, does my method work for everyone, no.. it doesn't.

Other than myself, Peggy, Alli, Stacie, and Claire were the main people posting. I know some of these people have gone through not only costly, but emotionally draining issues with chins, just because they don't post about it online for everyone to read doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I can probably be 99% sure that you don't KNOW this for a fact, but probably heard it second hand from someone who heard it from someone or someone who made it up, or took something the wrong way, etc.

This may mean that "Trollism" is contracted from other forums...:hmm:

Everyone needs to take the necessary measures to protect themselves...
Full rubber body suits must be worn to counter "Black Bile Spewage". And Aluminum foil helmets donned, to keep them from "Reading your Mind".:rofl:

Last edited:
This may mean that "Trollism" is contracted from other forums...:hmm:

Everyone needs to take the necessary measures to protect themselves...
Full rubber body suits must be worn to counter "Black Bile Spewage". And Aluminum foil helmets donned, to keep them from "Reading your Mind".:rofl:

QUARANTINE!! We forgot QUARANTINE!! :tease:

Riven, PM sent, the Vet comment was not directed at a frequent poster.

i just hope it wasnt aimed towards me, i do have a vet, i just havent had reasons to bring my chins to vet...most people would probablly treat eye infections at home...i brought both of our chins when they got one....my mom has worked at vets and i know when something is serious or when im just wasting money on something that doesnt need vet attention....i hope your baby the best

It strange to me that when I mention the fact that some do not have a Vet or seek Vet care, suddenly some feel they have to defend themselves...

If you feel guilty then address that with yourself & your chins & your Vet!!

I was a Vet tech for 3 years, do you hear me boasting about it in every post?? That doesn't mean I can home treat some of the illness's that have occurred.
My Dad owns an a/c wholesale for the gulf south, I am not selling A/C's or trying to fix them...
My Mom is a pharmacy tech, I do not self medicate...

Lily is the 1st chin that I will have to put down.

I have been VERY cautious with pairings & intros so that they don't fight or kill one another.

When someone shows signs of illness, yes I goto the Vet, and if I wouldn't have I would have found them in the all too common "laying in the bottom of the cage & I don't know what happen" position.

I am NOT knocking people that have herds & I understand that you cant run to the Vet for every scrape or scratch...

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT LILY PEARL & HER WELLNESS FOR THE REST OF HER TIME ON THIS EARTH...

Thank you for your helpful input, I am VERY serious when I say knowing all that I have heard & researched is helping me plan on a well educated & humane decision for Lil's...

Please put all negativity aside and look towards the future of the wellness of the chins... I can't understand why that is so hard to do...

Thanks again!!
:kiss:

i dont have time to read thru all the BS but just wanted to say i hope that lily feels better. i am sure you will make the right decision when it comes time for it.

I think, what you're not understanding, when it comes to malo and various reactions to it from the people on this forum, is this: A majority of us have one mindset. WHY make the animal suffer to the inevitable? You may be comfortable doing all these things, and she may act happy, but that doesn't mean that the whole situation isn't taking it's toll on Lily little by little. I myself just recently had to put a girl down with malo. My vet wanted to know if I was sure I didn't want to offer treatment, and I told her I was sure. I wanted to remember Squirt happy and healthy, I didn't want to send her to that point where it was too late to do anything else. And that's a mindset many of us have here. It's not the "here and now" it's the "later". Malo is a death sentence, the only question is how far in are you willing to let the animal go.

That probably sounds very insensitive to you, but it's true and that's what many people here are trying to get you to see. She could be fine today, but tomorrow, she could be horrible. The vet is going to have you bring her in as long as you're willing to. Even if she is bouncing back immediately after each filing, being put under anesthesia so much isn't good for her, and it's not going to get any better for her to be doing it for years.

I think, what you're not understanding, when it comes to malo and various reactions to it from the people on this forum, is this: A majority of us have one mindset. WHY make the animal suffer to the inevitable? You may be comfortable doing all these things, and she may act happy, but that doesn't mean that the whole situation isn't taking it's toll on Lily little by little. I myself just recently had to put a girl down with malo. My vet wanted to know if I was sure I didn't want to offer treatment, and I told her I was sure. I wanted to remember Squirt happy and healthy, I didn't want to send her to that point where it was too late to do anything else. And that's a mindset many of us have here. It's not the "here and now" it's the "later". Malo is a death sentence, the only question is how far in are you willing to let the animal go.

That probably sounds very insensitive to you, but it's true and that's what many people here are trying to get you to see. She could be fine today, but tomorrow, she could be horrible. The vet is going to have you bring her in as long as you're willing to. Even if she is bouncing back immediately after each filing, being put under anesthesia so much isn't good for her, and it's not going to get any better for her to be doing it for years.

Everything is starting to sink in. You do not sound insensitive. I can see that Lily is uncomfortable & it is breaking my heart. I am waiting to talk to Rick (NOLA CHINS) about her when he is done with the railroad (I got Lily from him) I think he is for the "procedure" but the more that I have read & got to think about & really monitor Lily (without my rose colored glasses) the more I feel that it would be unfair to her to do that & I do NOT want to ever look in her eyes & see the "WHY MOM?":broken:

Quality of life is a hard thing to judge and it's can be an awful burden when you are the judge. Please know that we will be keeping you and Lily Pearl in our hearts.

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time right now. I've never had to make a quality of life decision on my own and I know it would be very hard on me and I imagine it is just as hard for you. Sending good vibes your way for Lily Pearl.

im glad you are starting to understand how everyone is trying to help now aimee...im so sorry for whats going on but i know without a doubt i would put my chin down if it had those problems..it would break my heart to the point of no return but i couldnt bring myself to let her go threw that...

our boxer sunny who is 9 years old is having problems, her spine is starting to fuse together so her back end is becoming completely uncontrollable.within a month she couldnt jump in the bed anymore, and when she is walking so will loose all controll and her back end will give out..they ONLY reason we havent put her down is becuase she is in NO pain...she cant feel a thing, we have had her checked and she has lost feeling to her volva and anal area...but we know the day she goes down and cant get it we have to let her go, my mother has considered doing the costly surgery on her but there is no guarantee how well it will work...sunny was our first boxer, my birthday present 9 years ago.....with that being said we know when its time and we know that day is coming VERRRRY soon...all we can do is hope every morning she can still get up...so aimee i understand where you are coming from, i know its a completely different issue and different situation but we wont put her threw something that we know shouldnt have to be done...so i hope you decide the rite decision, along with i hope rick does also....if all out of any people is concerned about a chins best interest it is RICK.... and i will be shocked if he decides to go threw all of the countless teeth procedures...i hope your baby the best aimee i really do and i hope that you can go threw this with all of our help, we are here for you.....

Latest posts

Back