Fritz

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to give you guys another happy update. These are his weights since he has gotten here.

6/9/10- 441
6/11/10- 448
6/12/10- 476 (this was on a stomach full of CC- I didn't think about it at the time, so this weight really isn't correct)
6/14/10- 468

The 468 was on an empty tummy before his first feeding of the day. This means he has gained 27 grams since he got here 5 days ago.

How is his cut healing?

Have you had much more luck trying to get his coat back into an acceptable condition?

I can't work on his coat much right now since he isn't allowed to dust until the wound is healed. When we were at the vet we pulled out about 98% of the mats though, so when he does start dusting again he should start to look pretty good.

It seems to be doing pretty well. It's not weepy or anything, and isn't red. His fur keeps getting into it though so I am working on that. I am going to make an appt with Dr. Hart to put him under again and shave off more of the area. It's shaved at least an inch around it, but somehow it just keeps getting in there.

Atta Boy Fritzie!! Keep on eating and you'll be a fluff butt in no time.Great news Crysta. Still keeping ya'll in our prayer.:cheer2:

Here they are on photobucket.com in case they aren't working though youtube. I know youtube can take a bit to actually publish the videos.

He's doing a great job eating. It's so much easier when they are willing participants.

I'm sayin! His biggest meal, for whatever reason, is always the last one of the day. That entire 60ml syringe was full to the top, so almost 65ml. It's now at about 22ml. Then he eats a few pellets on his own during the night as well. He loves his food.

Also, to the people wondering, his wound is starting to heal nicely. It's almost completely dry. Still no redness, swelling or anything of the sort. It still isn't completely closed, but it is getting there. Still cleaning it daily with the chlorohexedine wash, and giving SMZ for an antibiotic and metacam for pain.

I will be so happy when he can start dusting again. He sits on top of his igloo and stares at the dust bath house sitting next to his cage and makes little squeaky sounds at it. I think it's time to stop torturing the poor baby (by moving the dust house, not by letting him dust).

Last edited:
That's good. :) In the videos he's really gulping it down. I hope that means that you won't have to feed him for too much longer. 40 mls of that is a lot to eat at one sitting for any chin. He's just hungry and making up for not getting fed properly for so long! Poor little dude...

Should I take it away from him before he eats that much? I swear I'm not pushing him to eat anything he doesn't want to. He eats until he's done and then he runs away. I just figured he would stop when he was full.

No...let him eat until he's done. Right now he needs the nutrition and it's okay to encourage him to eat. It's just so much for him to eat...willingly! :D I hope he starts to eat on his own though and doesn't get addicted to being handfed...I swear, sometimes they just seem to LOVE the attention they get being handfed.

Oh..have you weighed him today? :)

Not today. I have been weighing him every two days. Yesterday he was 468, up from the 448 on the 11th. He'll get weighed again in the morning (after his tummy is empty- I have been weighing him the same time each day) and I'll post it here.

I'd let Fritz eat as much as he wants. He will stop when he's full. Most feedings I would get 36 ccs into Tucker, occasionally he'd be hungry and take the 4th syringe I had ready and eat 48 ccs. Tucker's CC was mixed thicker than Fritz's.

Most of the time Fritz's is thicker than this. I do two feedings with the thicker and one thinner to keep up his liquid intake.

Shame on you Crysta!! How dare you let him eat as much as he wants too just because he was obviously starved and neglected.;)It does my heart good to see the little fella actually looking happy and loved. He's touched sooo many lives already.Still keeping ya'll in our prayers, but as is obvious to me, the Good Lord has him right where he belongs!! Keep pigging out Mr Fritzie and you'll be a lifetime member of overeaters anonymous in no time.:hug2:

Latest posts

Back