Freezing Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
I finally cracked open my 25 pound bag of Mazuri pellets that I got from the feed store. Since I only have 2 chins I expect this food to last a while. In fact I don't know if it can go bad??
In reading the back of the bag it says that freezing may prolong the freshness. So I put the extra in freezer zip lock baggies, squeezed out the air and put them in the freezer.
Does anyone else do this?

The feed store is only 10 minutes from my house and I got 25 lbs for under 16 dollars. I was buying the 2.5 bags from petmart for 9 dollars. do the math!
Also buying online was just not cost effective for me because the shipping outweighs the cost.

Freezing doesn't really do anything. When a nutritionist spoke at the Shindig several years ago, he said freezing it will not prolong it's shelf life nor keep it fresher than just storing it in an airtight container out of heat.

The mill date on the bottom of the bag is what you need to go by for "expiration." Once it goes past that point, the food starts to lose it's nutritional value, but it doesn't suddenly lose it three seconds after the expiration date occurs, it's a gradual lessening.

I would not freeze food. I am pretty sure it actually is bad to do that and kills some of the good stuff in it. Food should stay good for 6 months after the "milled on" date. You can find that on the bag.

Just find an airtight container and keep it indoors. That is the best way to keep it fresh for the longest. Hay should be stored in an open container, like a box with holes cut in it.

Last edited:
It was milled in 02-09 so I should be good til August. It recommeded on the back of the bag to freeze it???? But I can just as easily put the bags in an airtight container.

just as a note.........it smelled SO good. Much fresher than the stuff I had been buying a petsmart!

I've never frozen my feed. I'd need a huge freezer just for the chin food! Because I buy both Mazuri and PANR.
Personally even if I had a reasonable amount to freeze I wouldn't. There's not a reason to if you use it within the 6 months.

I do not buy as big a bag as you. But when I get it for Trixie, I just put it in an air tight container. In the warmer weather I will keep it in the fridge.

I was able to get 4 10 lb. bags from an Oxbow rep for 1/4 the price of the feed store. I'm just going to open one bag at a time and keep it in an airtight container. With freezing, I would be concerned about moisture. Hopefully, this will stay fresh enough.

My real concern was the 9 lbs. of oxbow hay I got in one big bag. I'm not really sure how to keep hay fresh. But with 2 rabbits and 5 chins, I'm sure it will get used quickly enough.

I keep my 9 lb. bag in a larger box. I just take everything out, pull it apart and store it in the box with a few holes poked in the side to give it good airflow. Then every time I get more hay out I give everything a fluff just to make sure it's getting good air. The last batch lasted months without turning brown.

I keep my 9 lb. bag in a larger box. I just take everything out, pull it apart and store it in the box with a few holes poked in the side to give it good airflow. Then every time I get more hay out I give everything a fluff just to make sure it's getting good air. The last batch lasted months without turning brown.

Thanks, good to know :thumbsup:

I'm not too sure it is that bad to freeze food. I don't but actually think it could be done.

When you get a steak at the grocery store, if you freeze it, you can eat it past the peremption date right?! THing is, what you taw should be eaten in a short lapse of time.

When you get a steak at the grocery store, if you freeze it, you can eat it past the peremption date right?! THing is, what you taw should be eaten in a short lapse of time.

I want to point out, that a steak is not the same thing as chinchilla food, but I do agree with you that you CAN freeze food. The point is why bother? It won't prolong it's life and it won't make it any fresher than if you just store it properly outside of the freezer. Then you won't have to use it up fast when you thaw it, which is the whole reason you stuck it in the freezer in the first place - so you could have it longer.

I'm not too sure it is that bad to freeze food. I don't but actually think it could be done.

I agree with Peggy - the point of freezing meat, etc is so that it remains safe to eat, not to preserve the nutritional value.

Back