Folding rib cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheena

Hey all, I was just posting because I have heard many things about chinchillas' "folding ribcages" and have never been quite sure if it was true. When I first got my chinchillas from a pretty reputable breeder (not gonna mention names), they told me that it is safer to hold the chinchillas by the base of the tail and support their weight. The reasoning for this is that they have a "folding ribcage" and that you could damage their lungs, etc. Now, is this true? Or is it a controversial topic like some others? Just curious, and thought it would be helpful for new owners, as I no longer have chinchillas.

I have never heard of "folding ribcages" before. If it's true I was would like to know more about it.

It's FLOATING rib cage - not folding, meaning [I think] not attatched to the spine by bone, but by muscle or cartilage.

Yeah, it is kinda weird, isn't it? I don't know though. The only person I have heard this from is the one breeder. I don't know if other big breeders would know more about this or what? The breeder that I originally got my chins from said it was true, and that's why yo would hold the chinchilla by the base of the tail, and support it's weight-so as not to crush the chin. She said something about the reason it "folds" is so they can fit in smaller spaces, which I know they can fit in pretty small spaces, but I am not sure about the ribcage. Kind of interesting though. :thinking:

Okay, maybe I have the terminology wrong-it has been quite a while since I had my chins and I need to brush up. lol.

I thought it was floating as well, and that is one of the reasons you have to hold chinchillas gently and never ever use a leash with them.

It is called floating, all rodents have them, it's why a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a pencil.

A floating rib cage is one that is attached to the spine, but NOT the sterum in the front. People have usually 2 pairs of floating ribs.

Riven - people DO have a connection in the front - the sternum, as you pointed out. That's why, during heart surgury, they have to "crack the chest" with a sturnum saw!
[per my wife, a cardio - vascular nurse for 20 years!]

Another reason not to hold them around their chest is just the size of their ribs. Their ribs are about as thick as a toothpick. If you squeeze to hard on accident if they're trying to get away, you could easily break one.

Most of people's ribs are stationary, the two lowers are not, they are floating. Some people have only one pair of floating, while some actually have three!

Okay, yeah I have been out of the whole chinchilla thing too long and am getting rusty. lol. Thanks for the replies though. I agree-it seems like the last 2 sets of ribs on people are floating as well. If you look at a skeleton, they are not attached in the front.

Back