FN143 Add-on; Does anyone have this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Anyone have an FN143 "add on" to their FN142?

If so, how well do the stock casters on an FN142 hold up? The casters on my FN142 work well but I notice the weight when I roll it out to sweep under it.

I'd be concerned with the added weight of a FN143 along with 'chin stuff~ toys, houses etc.'.

(I'd like to buy a FN142 (while they are on sale at Amazon :thumbsup: ) and give our daughter the lower level (essentially an FN141) for her rabbit and use the top level from it on our FN142.)

Last edited:
I have one. I replaced the stock wheels with ones from Lowes. They work a heck of a lot better.

As for your plan with the rabbit, chins shouldn't be that close to rabbits. Rabbits are often a silent carrier of Pasturella, which is deadly to chinchillas.

I have 2 3 story FN set ups so 2 of the 142 and the add on's. I have them on berber carpeting and we did have one wheel break on one and we replaced it. The problem we did have with one set up is they did not give the correct top to it and so there was a hole on top of the 143, for the longest time we just put a cookie sheet up there and the chins didn't try to move it, but then they got smart and figured out their way to freedom lol! We had to hardware cloth it as nothing was working not even a roasting pan full of Harry Potter books!

So just make sure you have the proper top!

Definitely don't have rabbits near your chins--they are best kept in a separate room all together.

I also have 2 3 level FN - We took the storage section out to make the cages a little bit shorter (I still need a step stool to reach the very top) but the wheels work just fine on my floors. I move them once a week to vacuum under and behind.

Laurie - we have one like that - we just put the ladder up and attached it to the top of the cage to close the hole since we don't use the ladders anyway

I have two 3 toppers and the stock wheels work fine.

Attachments

• cages.jpg
    cages.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cages 2.jpg
    cages 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 47
I think the stock wheels can be questionable for just the FN142 if it's on carpet. They are really cheap wheels.

I see my artwork!!! Haha, very cool, Stacey! :) Sorry I am not really helping in posting this though!

Thanks. Looks like i may try this.

BTW, the rabbit is in my daughters room, not in ours with the chins. :thumbsup:

If the rabbit is in your daughter's room, then how do you plan on giving her the 141? From my understanding, when you buy the add-ons, you don't get the full thing, just the 4 side panels, since you don't need a bottom and the top from the other half becomes the top for the new section. Also, why would you be worried about the weight on the wheels then?

If the rabbit is in your daughter's room, then how do you plan on giving her the 141? From my understanding, when you buy the add-ons, you don't get the full thing, just the 4 side panels, since you don't need a bottom and the top from the other half becomes the top for the new section. Also, why would you be worried about the weight on the wheels then?

lol, Sorry I thought I was clear. :laughitup: I am planning on buying an FN142, and giving my daughter the lower portion of it (think FN141) and the second level of that cage, add to my current FN142.

At $156, I can't relly pass on this, as a FN141 is still at least $124 and an FN143 is still over $100.

I know my own rabbit would find a single level FN too small. She's in a C&C cage that I made for her that she loves. I know other people have rabbits in them but I LOVE my C&C rabbit cage!

I know my own rabbit would find a single level FN too small. She's in a C&C cage that I made for her that she loves. I know other people have rabbits in them but I LOVE my C&C rabbit cage!

My daughters rabbit is pretty small: (she's full grown) Here's Fluffy testing out my newly built FN cage for size before I rolled it into the bedroom.
picture.php

She lets it have play time around her room as well on a daily basis. Its far larger than the current cage she has!

I hope you cleaned it out before putting the chins in it...

Of course not, it was a new cage. :neener:

(the rabbit was in it for less than 3 minutes, and yes, I wiped it down.)

Looks like you don't have the lower storage shelf. Was it hard to remove that and add casters to the lower cage?
Not at all, I have the shelves downstairs in the basement. These were 3 ferret nations 142, to give myself more room I removed the bottom shelf and added up. I wish I could have kept the lower storage shelf, but the top cage would have been to hard to clean with it being so tall.

Not at all, I have the shelves downstairs in the basement. These were 3 ferret nations 142, to give myself more room I removed the bottom shelf and added up. I wish I could have kept the lower storage shelf, but the top cage would have been to hard to clean with it being so tall.

Thanks, I realized it was a stupid question after my 10 minute edit window was over. I put mine togther but being at work, could not picture in my mind how it went together. After downloading the manual, its all clear.:thumbsup:

I'd be concerned about reaching the top level as well. If I go this route, I was thinking of making a frame to support the bottom of the cage and using some heavy duty casters. But if the OEM ones work....:clap1:

Back