FN Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurie2025

I have the FN 142 cage and am wondering about the middle "divider" shelf. Is there a good reason to leave it in? Take it out? I have a bunch of new shelves and ledges to put in, and am wondering if that shelf is more in the way than anything, or if I should leave it.
Any opinions? I have 2 baby boy chins and they go between the 2 levels.
Thank you,
Laurie

In such tall cages like that, a large platform in the middle is good because it acts to catch the chin should they fall. Unless you can hang a hammock or something across the middle, I'd leave it in. We all know how clumsy chins can be.

I don't have the middle divider in. I've left the smaller side shelves in so that helps with if they fall. I've just covered them with fleece so they can't be chewed. Your shelved are pretty wide, 9". I would test them out to see you can over lap them somehow.

Some leave them in others take them out. I guess it is what works for you.

When Chula had the entire FN to himself I took the middle out. I did put a fairly large hammock in the center in case of a fall though.

I just picked up an FN 142 and am loving it, though, it's pretty sparsely 'decorated' thus far. I'm going to the hardware store in the morning to look about getting boards for making shelves.

Anywho. I haven't tested it out myself, and someone else on here already said they don't have their middle shelf in, but, the middle shelf could act also as a form of support for the cage as a whole. I would say, if you take it out and the cage feels any less steady, then put it back in. Otherwise, just make sure there is something in the middle that can catch your chin should they fall.

Back