Flying Saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

I just got my jackjack a flying saucer yesterday. I know it takes time for chins to get use to it, but i'm excited to see him use it!

how long did it take your chins to start using their saucers?

It took a few days for my first girl to figure it out, once she got over the surprise of it spinning she learned fast. She had also never had a wheel before, so I think that added to her confusion as well.

Tinkerbell got on it right away but she was awkward on it at first. But I think within a day or two she was spinning like a champ. It was the best investment I made because she still uses it everyday.

Koko figured it out within a few hours, but took him probably a week or so to really get the hang of it.

I had a saucer in with two pairs. The boys never touched it. The girls took to it after a day or two, and stopped looking awkward running on it after a week. It helps if they have had a wheel before.

I have four boys and out of them three can use the Saucer but all four can use the Chin Spin. Thinking back to when I put the Saucer in with my single guy, I'd say it took him several days to even hop on the thing.

He was quite fascinated with it and would spin it around with his teeth, then he got brave and hopped on it and he looked so awkward and would rock back and forth on it til it stopped and he looked dizzy.

By two weeks he was a total Saucer Master and could hop on and off at full speed and use it as a trampoline.

Ours hadn't used a wheel before, but he only took an hour to hop on- and a couple of hours more to learn that it moves and how not to fall off, and then about a day or two to learn that he could run on it. Now he uses it every day, and tries to pull it back in when we take it out for cleaning :p

Of my 27 chins that have flying saucer wheels in their cages I only have 1 that doesn't use it. She is a 'couch potato' though and I don't think she would use any kind of wheel. Most of them had it figured out in a day or two. At night when I turn out the lights in the chinroom, they all simultaneously jump on their wheels and all you can hear is the whirling sound of 13 flying saucers spinning round and round.

Scoot had the saucer in his cage for 1-2months and never used it. Then I gave it to Kobie&Kumiko and they were both running on it (sometimes at the same time, goofs) within a day or two.

One was trying to work it within hours, another took a few days, and a couple took a couple of weeks, so it does depend on the chin.

day 2 and no saucer use. he doesn't even seem curious about it. he'll play around it...just not on it!

patience is a virtue right?

Two days doesn't seem very long to me. Remembering back, I'm pretty sure my guy never even hopped on the Saucer for closer to a week or so. Maybe sprinkle a few oats in the centre of the Saucer and see if he'll hop on it to get the oats, although I did this with my guy when I was trying to get him used to the hammock and he just stretched his body out really long, leaned over, took out the oats and away he went with his loot. heh.

PipGrass031.jpg

I recall someone once saying they had the saucer for over a year and just when they were losing all hope of the chin using it, they hopped on!

I have also heard trying to show the chin what to do using an stuffed animal.

Back