Flying Saucer - Worth $20 more than CS?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I'm almost done with my cage, I put the project on hold for 2 months for a mix of financial issues and a family member's illness. I'm back and ready to finish this! All I have left to buy are 2 wheels/saucers, hay holders, and PVC Pipes. Now in regards to the wheels, my boyfriend agreed to buy them for me, I'm just trying to figure out if the Flying Saucers or Chin Spins would be the best way to go. There is a $20 difference, is it worth it? My only main requirement: QUIET wheels. I want to be able to sleep in the same room as them again, the air mattress on the floor gig is getting tiring. I was dead set on the Chin Spin, but then I found this video online (Cut to 4:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fL2YBs4WIA

Doesn't seem as quiet as some people on here say it is. Then I compare that to the Flying Saucer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTq1NPbEMM

FS seems MUCH quieter. Is that how it really is? Also, my chins are 8 (boys) and about 4, what are the chances that they'll have a problem with the FS? Help Please!

Right after posting this, I read these reviews on ChinWorld:

"Beware the rivets inside! 09/21/2006 - by erica t from US
This is a very sturdy, silent, quality wheel.
HOWEVER, there are 2 rivets/screws which hold the outer metal circle together at the seams and the rivets jut out both inside and outside the wheel. After about a week of heavy use by my 2 chins, one of them cut his heel on one of the rivets and bleed quite a bit :(
I fixed this problem by covering the offensive rivets with a thick tapered mound of epoxy and sanded off the excess (to prevent them from chewing it). Fix seems to be working thus far... "

Anyone had this problem with the Chin Spin? Apparently it's not the same company, but does the Chin Spin have this rivet?

Not sure about the chin spin, but with the flying saucer, the only noise is from the cage rattling. I think if I made a brace for the bottom it would be a lot quieter (currently all the forces goes into the side of the cage).

I only have a FS, so I can only comment on those. They are quiet, the only sound like stated is the cage bars rattling. I think if you made a small brace for the bottom support bar, it would stop much of the rattling. All you would have to do is get a block of wood (thickness depending on how high you put up the wheel) and then maybe notch out a line for the bar.

Like is shown in this picture http://www.chin-chillas.com/images/new wheel pics/DSC05656-c350.jpg

I have both and from my experience the FS is much quieter. Its not that the chin spin makes noise its the way it shakes the cage. The FS seems to rattle the bars much less.

I only have a chin spin from qualitycage.com. IMO, it's super quiet and my cage, an aviary, has never rattled when the chins are on it. It has a solid and smooth running surface, I don't believe that there are any rivets on the chin spin, only thing visible is the ball bearing at the center and back of the wheel.

I use the Ed spin and so far no problems with it. What city are you located in? If you live close by I have some used ones you can try out.

Every chin is different but in my experience having had both "wheels" inside the cage at the same time, the ChinSpin got way more use than the FS ever did. I finally took the FS out because it was just taking up space (I have done this twice now with the same result in both cages of chins). Again, every chin is different so yours may be nuttier about the FS than the CS but I thought I would let you know my personal experience :)). The FS was quieter, especially since it didn't get much use LOL, but it is a quieter wheel. I would still recommend the CS first though.

I have my chins in the bedroom with a Chin Spin and the only noise I hear is the sounds of little feet running. :p

I checked out the video and I can say that my wheel has never been that noisy, maybe its just an issue on how its bolted or the cage bars themselves.

Personally my Charlie didn't use the saucer... he got on it to poop (oops that's what they all do!) he got on it and it would move a little but he would never run/walk on it, I had it in there for about 3days, when i would spin it, i have to admit it was super quiet. I went a traded it for a traditional wheel (Comfort Wheel) I'm not happy that it's only 12" :( but Charlie LOVES it!!! and it's not loud but you can hear him.

only my 'newbie' opinion :)

OK so after reading others postings and watching some videos, I've decided I don't like Charlie's wheel. It has a 'post' right in the middle of it that doesn't hit his back but maybe it's restricting him a little? So I think my next test will be the "Super Pet Chinchilla 12-Inch Giant Silent Spinner Exercise Wheel"... any thoughts??

It's definitely not silent. It's also too small to be comfortable for his back. From other people who have used the wheel I can tell you that it also doesn't last a long time. In a couple months you would need a new one, and at $25ish that will add up to be a lot. Your better bet is to just pay the double for the chin spin or saucer and have something that will last his entire life.

Both of the chin spin and the saucer have the ability to have the bearing replaced as well if it wears out (both for under $5) so you will never have to pay to replace the whole wheel.

Also, when you are referring to the saucer, are you talking about the metal one, or the cheap plastic rip off that the pet stores sell?

I just bought a new chin spin and now it comes with an "extra set" of bearings plus instructions on how to replace them if you have to.

So I think my next test will be the "Super Pet Chinchilla 12-Inch Giant Silent Spinner Exercise Wheel"... any thoughts??

With my first chin, I was living in the dark ages and never knew about the saucer or chin spin or a chin forum, just what they sold at the local pet store. I had to buy 4 of those wheels you mentioned in my Whiskers' lifetime (4+ years). They don't sell extra center bolts and eventually, even if you have extra, the plastic in the center cracks from CONSTANT tightening of the bolt because as the chin runs on it, it starts to loosen! A big hazard for the chin as my Whiskers ran a marathon one night and the whole thing collapsed on him. I was very lucky that he did not get hurt and the was the last of that kind of wheel that we bought him. Also, the bolt is covered in some foamy, plastic material so that you can tighten and un-tighten that chins may chew on (mine didn't), another hazard!

I have my chins in the bedroom with a Chin Spin and the only noise I hear is the sounds of little feet running. :p

I checked out the video and I can say that my wheel has never been that noisy, maybe its just an issue on how its bolted or the cage bars themselves.

That's too cute! The major pro is that the wheel will go in the FN, which has wheels and I can move out of my room at night. The con is, I may be moving out into an apartment soon and I don't want the chins to bother my neighbors. Quiet will be good.

I was thinking the same thing, I think the wheel needs to be adjusted.

Personally my Charlie didn't use the saucer... he got on it to poop (oops that's what they all do!) he got on it and it would move a little but he would never run/walk on it, I had it in there for about 3days, when i would spin it, i have to admit it was super quiet. I went a traded it for a traditional wheel (Comfort Wheel) I'm not happy that it's only 12" :( but Charlie LOVES it!!! and it's not loud but you can hear him.

only my 'newbie' opinion :)

Honestly, I'd stay away from anything plastic. Even little bits of plastic in Charlie's digestive tract can cause problems. Pet stores are notorious for selling bad and dangerous products. What kind of cage does Charlie have? Is there room for a Chin Spin? :)

Latest posts

Back