Fleece Troubleshooting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I have a FN 142 and I'm having issues with the fleece in my girls cage. The liners I made don't fit very well, so I use 1 liner plus I wrap the plastic tray with a yard of fleece. Even when I do my best to prevent her from moving it, she always pulls the liner up and gets on the yard of fleece. I'm planning on making liners that fit when I go back to California for Christmas (my bfs Mom has a sewing machine), but I'm afraid she'll just pull them up too and have direct access to the plastic tray. The single layer of fleece isn't very absorbent, so I'd rather her use a liner. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if she just doesn't like the puffiness of the liner, so I'm going to make it flatter this time (just 2 fleece sewn together, nothing in between). I was also thinking about using velcro, but I'm sure she'll be able to pull it up still (she's persistent).

You could try making a sleeve for the tray out of fleece- basically make a liner without sewing one side shut. Slip the tray in and maybe put velcro on the inside of the liner to velcro the opening shut.

What if you sewed something sorta like a custom pillow case, open on one side, and slipped the plastic pan inside and just tucked the "end" underneath?

ETA, we posted at the same time

On the same train of thought, do most fleece liners just cover the bottom of the bass pans? (instead of the pillowcase type idea) If theyre not the pillowcase type, dont the chins just pull them up and toss them around? The only way I can see getting around that is trying to weigh the corners with something (house? marble slab?)

My chins leave the liners alone for the most part. I have one that likes to pull it up on occasion, but the others don't really mess with them.

On the same train of thought, do most fleece liners just cover the bottom of the bass pans? (instead of the pillowcase type idea) If theyre not the pillowcase type, dont the chins just pull them up and toss them around? The only way I can see getting around that is trying to weigh the corners with something (house? marble slab?)

That's exactly what I do with mine. I have a hideyhouse in one corner, a hay bin on another, a tile in the other, and the other corner happens to have a wheel there so they really don't mess with it. My one chin constantly would pull up the liner and crawl under it sending everything flying. Weirdo. Putting the items on the corners though helped a lot.

It's weird because when I was thinking about doing fleece in the beginning, I was worried my boys would chew it up and destroy it. It turned out to be my girl who was the problem. She's starting to chew a lot now. This morning I caught her chewing on her Chin Spin! It's not chew proof. She has a lot of food sticks and toys in her cage too, she's not being deprived or anything.

Part of her liner is weighed down, but not all of it. She goes to the side where the wheel is.

You could try making a sleeve for the tray out of fleece- basically make a liner without sewing one side shut. Slip the tray in and maybe put velcro on the inside of the liner to velcro the opening shut

that is such a good idea. since i really can sew maybe i could glue or use fabric tape and then turn it inside out sot they cant get to it?? well maybe i could try to sew a straight line............gotta dig up the sewing machine i got at a yard sale for 5 bucks!

Michelle - have you tried the Mighty Mend It? I used it when I made a fleece cover for a 12" pvc tube. It worked very well and since I just turned mine inside out or however you explain putting it on... There is no glue/sticky stuff that he can get to.

I have a cage that's 4 feet by 2 feet in terms of floor size... I need to make liners. I'm going to just sew two pieces of fleece together. How much fleece should I buy per liner? I can figure out the math in my head, but I'm so afraid I'm going to screw up like last time. I'm wanting to make 2 liners total... if I make them the same color, can I get buy less fleece? Thanks :D

The cage I'm taking about is my old one at my Mom's house. I'm going there for Christmas and taking the critters.

Latest posts

Back