First White Diamond Born In US

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Niels has shown his Blue Diamonds in both Denmark and Germany but, I do not know how their show system works. I do believe in the future here in the US as more breeders produce Blue Diamonds and they become more common at the shows, they will be given their own seperate class.

At ECBC Nationals this year and a couple other shows I've gone to, the Blue Diamonds were shown under the sapphire class as the judges felt they looked most like sapphires. My guess is that they will eventually have their own subcategory under the sapphire class.

My question is should they have their own classification? They are not a new mutation but the combination of existing mutations. Take for example tov beige (or anything combination for that fact) still shows under the beige color section. Just a thought. I guess it will depend on their popularity and board members.

Kyle, that's why I think they should not have their own class but a category under an existing class which they are similar to. In Empress, under sapphire, there are separate categories for sapphs, TOV Sapphs or Sapph wraps and IMO, a category for BDs should be added. All these sapph variations would potentially compete against each other for Sapph CC. I think this topic will come up at this years National meeting again. The last time it was brought up 2 yrs ago, it was decided to leave the classification of BDs to the judges discretion. But most hadn't seen any at that time. I think now many would want to see them under the sapphire class.

Wow, there is seriously nothing I love more than reading threads like this and learning from you guys, even if the only thing I can contribute is that your baby is pretty. <3

Mark, to rehijack your thread, :) Have you seen or expect breeding with ebonies and getting wraps would darken and therefore jeapordize the desireable lighter color of the Blue Diamonds, or do you think there will eventually be a place/desire for varying shades of Blue Diamonds? Oh, and yes, your kit is cute. :)

I think it really depends on the number of Blue Diamonds that show up at shows. If there becomes more Blue Diamonds consistently showing up at shows then either Violets or Sapphires, then they should have their own color classification. If there are 5 Violets, 3 Blue Diamonds, and 2 Sapphires at a show, then I don't think it matters which class they get judged in. Remember, they are no more Sapphire then they are Violet, and they really are their own unique color. But, until they become popular enough and numbers of them start showing up at shows, I don't care which class they're put into. If the day comes where you consistantly see 10 or more BD's at every show, then they deserve their own class. I was behind the table handling animals at ECBC Nat'l show this year and overheard all 3 judges saying out loud that they really felt the BD's should have their own class since they really don't fit with the Violets or Sapphires. I tend to agree with that opinion but, until they become more common and represented in numbers at shows I'm fine with their current rules.

Ryan, Whites and Black Velvets are the only other colors I'm incorporating into my BD lines. I have no interest in crossing ebonies with my BD's. I know of others that are and I have no problems with them doing it. It's just not something I want to do with mine. The Denmark BD lines are pure and ebony free. The bellies are very distinctly, genetically white. I want to keep mine that way. The one thing I notice about this little White Diamond male already is that the white markings on him are pure white with no discoloration at all. It is very eye appealing.

I doubted you would, as I, too, would want to be developing pure lines in larger numbers to achieve the goals you have with them first before changing up a lot of phenotypic outcomes. I hope everyone working on these is striving for similar quality improvements.

Kyle, that's why I think they should not have their own class but a category under an existing class which they are similar to. In Empress, under sapphire, there are separate categories for sapphs, TOV Sapphs or Sapph wraps and IMO, a category for BDs should be added. All these sapph variations would potentially compete against each other for Sapph CC. I think this topic will come up at this years National meeting again. The last time it was brought up 2 yrs ago, it was decided to leave the classification of BDs to the judges discretion. But most hadn't seen any at that time. I think now many would want to see them under the sapphire class.

Well put and explained. Thank You!

Latest posts

Back