First White Diamond Born In US

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark miller

Miller Chinchillas
I had my first White Diamond baby born. He is out of a White Diamond female and Blue Diamond male both from Denmark. This unique double recessive white chinchilla will produce Standard VC/SC, White VC/SC, Sapphire VC, White Sapphire VC, Violet SC, White Violet SC, Blue Diamond, and White Diamond colors. He is Blue Diamond color over his back with white legs, a white nose, and a white tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 209
Just wondering why? Not being critical but truly just curious. Why take a double recessive which is weak to begin with and cross it with a white which is a weaker type fur? Just wondering what outcome you are looking for?

Cheryl, yes you could also refer to this color as Blue Diamond White Mosaic. Genetically, he will throw the Violet gene and Sapphire gene to all of his offspring just like a BD does but, he will also throw the Wilson White gene 50% of the time to his offspring.

Juanita, no offense taken actually a good question. Luckily, in this case I'm working with very nicely furred parents. Fur quality overall with the Blue Diamonds from Denmark has been pretty strong. Their main trait weakness has been overall size/conformation. This particular color combination actually is a tremendous breeding tool if used properly. Just using a few good size/conformation Standard females with decent fur strength/volumn will produce nice Standard vc/sc, White vc/sc, Sapphire vc, White Sapphire vc, Violet sc, White Violet sc, Blue Diamond, and White Diamond offspring in just 2 generations of lineage breeding or approxiamatly 2 years. If you put a good size Violet female with him, you'd produce 50% Violet sc and 50% White Violet sc. If you put a good size Sapphire female with him, you'd produce 50% Sapphire vc and 50% White Sapphire vc. As long as the females used in breeding with this male were of good fur qualities and size, overall quality of all offspring should continue to improve with each generation of breeding. To me as an expierenced breeder and evaluator of quality in chinchillas, he can be a tremendous breeding tool.

Last edited:
Cheryl, yes you could also refer to this color as Blue Diamond White Mosaic. Genetically, he will throw the Violet gene and Sapphire gene to all of his offspring just like a BD does but, he will also throw the Wilson White gene 50% of the time to his offspring.

Juanita, no offense taken actually a good question. Luckily, in this case I'm working with very nicely furred parents. Fur quality overall with the Blue Diamonds from Denmark has been pretty strong. Their main trait weakness has been overall size/conformation. This particular color combination actually is a tremendous breeding tool if used properly. Just using a few good size/conformation Standard females with decent fur strength/volumn will produce nice Standard vc/sc, White vc/sc, Sapphire vc, White Sapphire vc, Violet sc, White Violet sc, Blue Diamond, and White Diamond offspring in just 2 generations of lineage breeding or approxiamatly 2 years. If you put a good size Violet female with him, you'd produce 50% Violet sc and 50% White Violet sc. If you put a good size Sapphire female with him, you'd produce 50% Sapphire vc and 50% White Sapphire vc. As long as the females used in breeding with this male were of good fur qualities and size, overall quality of all offspring should continue to improve with each generation of breeding. To me as an expierenced breeder and evaluator of quality in chinchillas, he can be a tremendous breeding tool.

Thanks Mark! BD's (and whites for that matter) baffle me so it is always good to learn more about them! Thanks for answering. I wasn't sure if it was aimed more for the pet market or as a breeding tool.

I personally have some whites but am having a hard time with them and they aren't even recessive - they are great for my pet market but I haven't been able to develop them as quickly as my other lines. I am about to give up on them so I respect anyone who has the fortitude and patience to work with anything recessive.

That would just be a Blue Diamond wrap, just like a Violet wrap or a Sapphire wrap. Most people know that "wrap" indicates presence of Ebony gene in chinchillas. They would be classified as Blue Diamond wrap at shows.

Yes, that is true that Blue Diamonds do not yet have their own class at shows. However, a Blue Diamond wrap would be judged separately as a wrap (whether it be with a Sapphire wrap or a Violet wrap or individually as a Blue Diamond wrap if it was the only wrap there) before competing for Champion Sapphire or Violet. It would still be considered a Blue Diamond wrap at shows, it just would be placed in the Sapphire or Violet class at the judges discretion.

Yes, that is true that Blue Diamonds do not yet have their own class at shows. However, a Blue Diamond wrap would be judged separately as a wrap (whether it be with a Sapphire wrap or a Violet wrap or individually as a Blue Diamond wrap if it was the only wrap there) before competing for Champion Sapphire or Violet. It would still be considered a Blue Diamond wrap at shows, it just would be placed in the Sapphire or Violet class at the judges discretion.

Yes, I understand this. It was the fact that you used the term "Classified" that made me think they had added a class for BD's in general. I understand the different categories within each classification. So it would be "labelled" as a BD Wrap but classified as either a Sapphire or Violet Wrap. Just thought that I had missed where they had decided to add a Class for BD's - that's all.

Doesn't take much for semantics to confuse me! :)

Back