Finally switched to Pyrex litter box

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
I decided to spend a bit of my tax return on my chins (of course!) and I wanted to get them something that would last instead of treats.

I opted to finally change out their litter pans to the glass pyrex dishes. I got the 8 x 8 ones. the handle on them is a bit larger than i thought but they are nice and deep. and much heavier than the metal pans that my chins were tossing around like a hay cube. they require a little more maitenance. the pee clumps up the shavings a bit and sticks to the bottom, where as that did not happen in my metal. but the metal absorbed the pee and i think that is what added to the odor.

My local supermarket (Shoprite) had them on sale for 50% off, so i got them for $4.00 each. I thought that was a good price??? Wiped out the store and took all 9 on the shelf.

I plan on spending the other $60 on another playpen so I can expand their current one and one 1 tube of PVC pipe to upgrade a few of their tubes in their cages.

I guess $100 bucks goes a pretty long way for chins opposed to the thousands I need to spend to update my digs. ;)

I use the glass pyrex square dishes when I do use the litter boxes, but I also noticed the pee and shaving dust cakes on. I always would just soak them in water/vinegar and then they scrub off pretty easily.

I wish I could find them here Michelle. I want to switch to all Pyrex, but it's cost prohibitive if I just go to the local Wal-Mart. I found a place on-line that was awesome, 3 for $10.00, but by the time I found enough for my chins the shipping was almost a car payment!

I am going to keep looking. I really want something I can throw in the dishwasher and sterilize.

I have two litter pans for each cage. When one gets the caked urine on it I put a bit of straight white vinegar in it and let it soak overnight. Then I use the other clean one in the mean time. I usually clean out the bottom once ever two weeks. Once the vinegar eats away all the crusties overnight I can just poor it out and rinse. There isn't even any scrubbing needed.

Also, you can find the deeper pyrex dishes without the handles. I found mine at walmart, though they are about $6.00 a piece.

i clean my litter boxes usually every other night (cept for my pair--nightly) so the urine doesnt have time to cake.......but it just kinda sticks there, so i moisten a paper towel with the sun & earth spray I use and just wipe it. its another step but I really like the heaviness of them. i wish they had the ones without the handles as they would probably fit in my pan better but for 3.99, i wasnt going to be picky.
I am much lazier when it comes to changing the fleece! but i have to say most of my guys use the litter box to some extent and over time they use them more & more. I have at least 3 that now use it exclusively. which really cuts down on the odor from the fleece.

it took me this long to do the switch. i was using the cheaper pans from the dollar store but i figured with tossing them a couple times a year it would cost the same after less than 2 years, so i might as well go for it. but if i have a larger number of chins, i am not sure what i would do. especially because it is an extra step if you are using fleece, which i assume that most breeders do not use because of the cost.

I use the pyrex dishes for litter pans also but I get mine at garage sales or the thrift store. They are usually only a couple of bucks each if that. I pick up alot of my critter stuff at thrift stores/garage sales/dollar store.

I have a fleece liner and a Pyrex dish potty pan. I really like it. What I do is usually take out some of the dirty litter every night during playtime and replace it with a bit of fresh litter and mix it all together. It cuts down on the smell, and the mixing prevents caking. Then at the end of each week I dump the whole thing and wipe it down with some water/vinegar mix. No scrubbing or soaking or anything :)

Iwant to start "potty training" my Chin.. He normally pees in the same area.. how did you guys first do it?

just put a litter pan in the area that he pees most Keshia, and that should do it.

with Rhino, i had no idea if he was litter trained or not, since the only photo i saw of him before he came home was with his cage fully covered in shavings all across the bottom. i just picked a back corner of his cage, put the litter pan there, and ta da! he was instantly litter trained if he wasn't before, lol.

I also just switched and it was much easier than I thought!

All I did was clean the bottom tray, put the Pyrex where they were peeing and bang it worked! Since I have 2 I clean it out each night.

Back